If there is going to be a second Dance of Dragons, how will Aegon get a dragon?

Ice Turtle

Clearly this thread is for those who believe that there will be a civil war for Targ succession and that Dany and Aegon will fight against each other and both will have a dragon.

But how is Aegon going to get one? He is in Westeros and dragons are far away, not to mention that Dany isn't just going to give him one for Christmas...

The only theory I was able to came with is that Tyrion will be able to smuggle at least one dragon from Meereen before Dany returns and he will decide to side with Aegon, most probable motivation for this would be some type of trouble with ironborn.

Vyserion will be his dragon. Viserys would rather support his niece Aegon than his sister Daenerys who didn't move a single finger when he was killed by Drogo. Therefore I think Vyserion will be Aegon's dragon.

I believe the dragons are somehow the personification of the people they were named after.

I don't think he is going to get a dragon at all. There has been some pretty good foreshadowing that he is not a decedent of Mad Aerys; my favorite being the black iron dragon sign from the inn that washed up on the Quiet Isle red from rust. He is a Blackfyre and I am pretty sure he is the elephant in this game of Cyvasse.

I think we'll find that the "gene" to ride a dragon has to be passed on from the male Targarean line. The dragons died out during the reign of Aegon the dragonbane because he was only a Targarean through his mother's side. Likewise, Quentyn only has Targarean blood through a female ancestor. Illyrio's revelation that the Blackfyre line only survived through a female line might doom Aegon if he attempted to ride a dragon. Under this theory, Jon Snow (if indeed his father is Rhaegar) would be eligible as a dragonrider.

I think we'll find that the "gene" to ride a dragon has to be passed on from the male Targarean line. The dragons died out during the reign of Aegon the dragonbane because he was only a Targarean through his mother's side. Likewise, Quentyn only has Targarean blood through a female ancestor. Illyrio's revelation that the Blackfyre line only survived through a female line might doom Aegon if he attempted to ride a dragon. Under this theory, Jon Snow (if indeed his father is Rhaegar) would be eligible as a dragonrider.

We never seen any proof of this but it's a nice theory. Could it be that Orys Baratheon and Aegon shared mother and not father and that is why ne never rode a dragon?

I don't think he is going to get a dragon at all. There has been some pretty good foreshadowing that he is not a decedent of Mad Aerys; my favorite being the black iron dragon sign from the inn that washed up on the Quiet Isle red from rust. He is a Blackfyre and I am pretty sure he is the elephant in this game of Cyvasse.

But the Blackfyres should be able to control Dragons. They are as Targaryen as anyone, they just don't have the family name.

Also just a quick note:

Some people don't think Aegon will get one, but GRRM has said point blank that there will be a second dance of the dragon, so he has to get one somehow.

We never seen any proof of this but it's a nice theory. Could it be that Orys Baratheon and Aegon shared mother and not father and that is why ne never rode a dragon?

That's possible, even though a likelier explanation is that the Targareans kept the dragons to only those within the immediate family. I also have a feeling that Brown Ben Plumm's father is an exiled Targarean (probably Aerion) who impregnated his mother which explains the dragons' affinity towards him.

He doesn't need a dragon for a second Dance. The originally Dance wasn't named so because there were actual dragons fighting but because Targaryens were fighting Targaryens.

Even if Aegon is a Blackfyre descendant it can be another Dance, black or red a dragon is still a dragon.

There are several possibilities:

-He will get one of Dany's, the most likely one if a Dance of Dragons 2.0 is gonna happen.

-He wakes dragons from stone with a blood sacrifice, a la Melisandre in ASOS.

-There were theories on this site about dragons being imprisoned beneath Winterfell and in the Wall. I don't think so myself but is a (unlikely) possibility that he will get one of these, if they exist.

-It turns out there were more dragons eggs, but that would kinda spoil Daenerys' rebirth as Mother of Dragons.

So, you can pick. If it's the first one, it will be interesting to see Dany torn between winning a battle or killing her child(ren), who is fighting on Aegon's side, it might be that her own dragons would refrain from attacking her though.

However, in my opinion, I think Aegon's not the type to side against Daenerys unless that's the last possibilty he has or he is manipulated. But we'll see...

He doesn't need a dragon for a second Dance. The originally Dance wasn't named so because there were actual dragons fighting but because Targaryens were fighting Targaryens.

Even if Aegon is a Blackfyre descendant it can be another Dance, black or red a dragon is still a dragon.

I think this is the most likely answer. I also think that it indicates that Aegon will probably take King's Landing, at least in the near term. IMO that would be the only way you could have a meaningful "dance" unless Aegon has a literal dragon (assuming that it refers to Aegon vs Dany, of course.)

I see three possibilities. Warging with Sansa and Arya as the most likely wargs. Aegon is attacking the Lannister throne and either of them wouldn't need any great incentive to jump on that bandwagon. The chests that Illyrio gave to Aegon could contain a dragon horn or some other means of taming/controlling dragons. The third is stealing one Dany/Quentyn style-- well more Dany style as the Quentyn one would make for a pretty short war.

As been mentioned, the first Dance of the Dragons was named so because it was a fight between Targ and Targ, not because it was literal dragons in their own fight.

Dunk & Egg have shown us that dragon dreams are about people, not literal dragons.

TWOW spoiler

Teora Toland is likely a descendant of the first Daenerys. She had a dragon dreams about dragons dancing. "They were dancing. In my dream. And everywhere the dragons danced the people died." If her dreams follows the dragon dreams of D&E, then they wouldn't necessarily be about literal dragons, but people, likely Targs or Targ descendants. Thus, Aegon does not need to have a dragon for there to be a second Dance.

Just to add some crack-pottery the Aurane Waters (who is working with Varys) will steal Viserion when Dany finally decided to go to Westeros to claim the IT, and use it for Aegon's cause (he has blood of the dragon, maybe he can be a dragon rider too :dunno: )

EDIT to not spoil people who didn't read Arianne's chapter

Just to add some crack-pottery the Aurane Waters (who is working with Varys) will steal Viserion when Dany finally decided to go to Westeros to claim the IT, and use it for Aegon's cause (he has blood of the dragon, maybe he can be a dragon rider too :dunno: )

EDIT to not spoil people who didn't read Arianne's chapter

He has the blood of Old Valyria, not the blood of the dragon. Blood of the dragon refers to Targs. Otherwise you could argue all of Lys where the blood of Old Valyria is still strong would be able to tame a dragon.

Archived