If there is going to be a second Dance of Dragons, how will Aegon get a dragon?

Ice Turtle

Aegon will have no actual dragon; I believe the latest Arianne chapter foreshadows as much. That being said, I agree with the sentiments expressed above, that the confrontation will be somewhat balanced, regardless. I imagine that Aegon will have much the larger army but Daenerys will have dragons and Tyrion Lannister doing something clever (as should be expected by now, given how much the author loves the character).

And as to that latest Arianne chapter, I think it also foreshadows why Aegon will ultimately lose . . .

In short, Arianne should be reading about how Dorne was able to resist the coming of dragons before, not mooning about the latest man to catch her fancy. Alas . . .

After just reading Arianne's chapter I have to agree.

If Dorne join with Aegon then they could put up a large fight against an invading Daenerys, hence the Dance with Dragons. The foreshadowing of Arianne questioning Dany is already there, in all likelihood Dany is likely to take out Arianne and Aegon, then go on to other things.

Aegon won't have a Dragon, he is the Dragon.

He doesn't need a dragon for a second Dance. The originally Dance wasn't named so because there were actual dragons fighting but because Targaryens were fighting Targaryens.

Even if Aegon is a Blackfyre descendant it can be another Dance, black or red a dragon is still a dragon.

:agree:

This post pretty much said everything I was thinking...

Aegon, speaking to Alleras in his best Princess Leia voice: "Sphinxy, you're my only hope! Please rustle up a dragon for me! You're over there at the Citadel with some very capable young men, surely working together you could manage to pull off the heist that Dorne's son failed so miserably at! For the love of crap, wrangle me a dragon! Have Jaquen subdue it with his occult book smarts, then if necessary you could shoot a specially poisoned knock-out arrow into whatever crevice the dragon has where that arrow needs to go, then Samwise "Gamgee" Tarly will be able to figure out a way to get that dragon onto a raft and push off towards Dorne. You've gotta come through for me, Alleras. Your loyalty is to Dorne, right? We need you to gettir' dun. Over."

Seriously, though. Euron's dragon is heading Alleras' way.

But the Velaryons weren't dragonlords. I don't think dragon blood equals Valyrian blood, it must mean something else. Dragonlords are magically tied to dragons and viceversa, and Velaryons aren't dragonlords. Even though Targaryen princes married three times a Velaryon woman, the male Velaryon line has no Targaryen blood we know about, hence no "blood of the dragon".

Then why, given that Brown Ben Plumm's ancestors are most likely Elaena Targaryen and Alyn Velaryon, does Tyrion consider him to have more than one "drop" of "dragon blood"?

Isn't necessarily gonna be part of the Dance. I think it's very possible that Tyrion or Victarion (or both) make off with either of the dragons remaining in Meereen. There's also the issue of Euron's dragon egg and those mythical stone dragons off on Dragonstone.

Furthermore, if there is a dragon beneath Winterfell and/or the Wall, it's possible that Stannis gets his mitts on it (them).

So, the Electric Dragon Boogaloo might just be the War of the Five Kings... with dragons.

But that's the thing — is it Targ blood that dragons respond to, or Valyrian blood in general? Aurane is a House Velaryon bastard and as such has Valyrian heritage. The Targs weren't the only Valyrians to come to Westeros. And let's not forget that Aegon IV sired bastards all over the place; will one of them successfully ride a dragon? (I'm being facetious here — the point is that "magical dragon blood," if it's even a "thing," isn't as sacred and rare as the Targs would like to believe). Or is there no magical dragon blood properties at all (something I tend to believe) and it's one giant free-for-all?

ETA: Brown Ben Plumm says he has a "drop" of dragon blood. Tyrion thinks he has more than a single drop — suggesting he might get it from multiple sides. If his real ancestor is Alyn Velaryon and not Ossifer Plumm (the prevailing theory is that he descends from Elaena, who became pregnant after Ossifer died, hence his "six-foot-long" cock; Alyn Velaryon was her cousin and long-time lover), then it follows that in the book, House Velaryon is also considered "blood of the dragon," even though they're not strictly speaking Targaryens. So by that measure, Aurane could conceivably fit the bill, IF "blood of the dragon" actually means anything.

To add to this blood of Valyria stuff, Stannis would also be a potential dragon rider. There are also others, including, Shireen, Gendry, Edric, and Mya. All people who have a Targ desendant, plus others. So if it is a Targ only thing, here are 5 dragon riders that are Baratheon's. Factor in the Martell's who also have Targ blood by this point, and you have a ton of dragon riders.

I don't think the dance of dragons has to mean literal dragons, but if it were to be a true dance of dragons, it would involve those who are recognized as Targs, Dany (F)Ageon, possibly Jon if R+L=J turns out to be true and becomes widely known and accepted by people in Westeros.

It was only raining when Meraxes was grounded and Meraxes was huge and her size and maneuverability was still enough to do a lot of damage. Now it's snowing and cold and the dragons are still toddlers. Drogo's fire stream or whatever wasn't even powerful enough to set Dany ablaze when she was standing right near him and she easily jumped past the fire blast. If just rain is enough to ground a dragon, I can only assume that snow and cold does more than that. Aegon's armies are more likely to fully incapacitate or even kill a toddler dragon grounded in snow than Argillac's army who were faced with a fully grown dragon in rain.

Another leveler might also be knowledge. Dany lacks knowledge, Aegon was trained specifically in history. I speculate that Aegon will have the knowledge that dragons don't function well in inclement weather while it will be a surprise to Dany.

But, but Dany is FREAKING BLOOD OF THE DRAGON!! DO NOT PRESUME TO LECTURE HER!

Sorry Dany fans, I had to say it :leaving:

It was only raining when Meraxes was grounded and Meraxes was huge and her size and maneuverability was still enough to do a lot of damage. Now it's snowing and cold and the dragons are still toddlers. Drogo's fire stream or whatever wasn't even powerful enough to set Dany ablaze when she was standing right near him and she easily jumped past the fire blast. If just rain is enough to ground a dragon, I can only assume that snow and cold does more than that. Aegon's armies are more likely to fully incapacitate or even kill a toddler dragon grounded in snow than Argillac's army who were faced with a fully grown dragon in rain.

Another leveler might also be knowledge. Dany lacks knowledge, Aegon was trained specifically in history. I speculate that Aegon will have the knowledge that dragons don't function well in inclement weather while it will be a surprise to Dany.

not to mention that Agon is in possesion of a scroll consisting of tyrion knowledge

Only way Aegon can get a dragon is that.. "somehow" the Blood of the Dragon bond the Targaryens ( legal or not) works in one of the others dragons.

From the text.. there are two ways to control a dragon.. Doing a magic "blood" bond which is probably something from old Valryria and with the Horns.

Tyrion will give it to (steal it for) him in exchange for Casterly Rock. Betrayal for gold.

Tyrion won't really be on Aegon's (or Dany's) side though, he'll be just planting seeds of chaos and waiting for things to ripen for his own benefit.

Only way Aegon can get a dragon is that.. "somehow" the Blood of the Dragon bond the Targaryens ( legal or not) works in one of the others dragons.

From the text.. there are two ways to control a dragon.. Doing a magic "blood" bond which is probably something from old Valryria and with the Horns.

or dragon stone has something to do with it

Tyrion will give it to (steal it for) him in exchange for Casterly Rock. Betrayal for gold.

Tyrion won't really be on Aegon's (or Dany's) side though, he'll be just planting seeds of chaos and waiting for things to ripen for his own benefit.

I thinkthe betrayal for gold is aegon pardoning jaime

or dragon stone has something to do with it

Perhaps.. who knows... Aegon needs a lot of luck if he wants to get one dragon.

Besides we don't know how useful/powerful is the Dragonbinder Horn, and if it can control a Dragon already bonded.. like Drogon.

About the confirmed "Second Dance", Aegon must get the support of "The Faith", and I believe he will get it, since its foreshadowed in aDwD in Jon C and Lemore conversation, otherwise it will be a really short "Second Dance" :P

I think we'll find that the "gene" to ride a dragon has to be passed on from the male Targarean line. The dragons died out during the reign of Aegon the dragonbane because he was only a Targarean through his mother's side. Likewise, Quentyn only has Targarean blood through a female ancestor. Illyrio's revelation that the Blackfyre line only survived through a female line might doom Aegon if he attempted to ride a dragon. Under this theory, Jon Snow (if indeed his father is Rhaegar) would be eligible as a dragonrider.

Nice theory. :)

There are several possibilities:

-He will get one of Dany's, the most likely one if a Dance of Dragons 2.0 is gonna happen.

-He wakes dragons from stone with a blood sacrifice, a la Melisandre in ASOS.

-There were theories on this site about dragons being imprisoned beneath Winterfell and in the Wall. I don't think so myself but is a (unlikely) possibility that he will get one of these, if they exist.

-It turns out there were more dragons eggs, but that would kinda spoil Daenerys' rebirth as Mother of Dragons.

- Victarion could use the Horn and call a dragon away from Dany.

- Tyrion could take a dragon and give it to Aegon. (very unlikely, IMHO)

- At least one dragon might recognize Aegon as a Targaryen and take his side (highly unlikely, IMHO)

- He could take a dragon captive.

Lots of ways for Aegon to get a dragon. Will he? I doubt it. Like others stated, a dance of dragons is more likely to be figurative rather than literal here. We know dragons can be killed by men, so it's not completely outrageous that Aegon would try to fight them (he is already rather headstrong). There's a slim chance of survival, though.

Any thoughts of the loyalty of the dragons for one Targaryen vs. another?

Then why, given that Brown Ben Plumm's ancestors are most likely Elaena Targaryen and Alyn Velaryon, does Tyrion consider him to have more than one "drop" of "dragon blood"?

Tyrion could be wrong. He's one of the wittiest characters and has had access to a great deal of knowledge throughout his life, but he's not GRRM, who is actually the only one who could give us confirmation on what dragon blood actually means. However, I still think dragon blood isn't just noble Valyrian descent, it's related to dragon riding tradition, and the Velaryons never had dragons we know about.

Archived