Old Gods, cold gods and Starks: a Heretic re-read

nanother

Splendid post by Evita. The only thing I'd take issue with is the suggesting that finding "no-one" means he will in fact mean Arya. All things are possible, but if she comes back to Winterfell I would see her doing so as Arya Stark with Needle in her hand and Nymeria at her side.

Rather I think "no-one" means exactly that. Jon is the outsider and while unquestionably a son of Winterfell he must follow a solitary path to his destiny, perhaps as King of Winter but not Lord of Winterfell.

What about Jon's descending to the crypts to find his mother? If R+L=J, is true, he may unconsciously be looking for her. I read somewhere in this thread (?) that he had dreamed of his mother as a beautiful, loving and high born lady. Whenever he finds outs in the future that Lyanna was his mother (if she was, which I believe) then he must certainly will want to descend to the crypts to pay his respects to her.

It's just a theory of mine that people at the Wall will believe Jon to be dead and Melisandre will volunteer to be part of the group that takes his body to "rest" at Winterfell. I think this is part of Melisandre's plan. She wants him there as well as Mance, and maybe he has to be there in order to be reborn? Although I'd hate for him to end up like Beric Dondarrion.

@ Wolfswood: good point about Jon not looking for Sansa, Bran and Rickon.

--

Apart from the foreshadowing aspects of the dream, seeing that it's a recurring one, and for a long time, it must have to do with his ongoing issues - as noted, his feeling of abandonment is one, and his Starkness/bastardry are huge and complicated issues as well (and later he'll fight his nature as a warg). Whether the dreams (which will progress/develop further as time goes on) are shaped entirely by these issues or have some 'prophetic' quality as well, that's another matter. They certainly change with Robb's death, but that's after, IIRC (and maybe with Ned's, I can't remember...)

--

We now skip many chapters, but there are a few highlights I thought I'd post:

Eddard VI

The Lannisters were an old family, tracing their descent back to Lann the Clever, a trickster from the Age of Heroes who was no doubt as legendary as Bran the Builder, though far more beloved of singers and taletellers. In the songs, Lann was the fellow who winkled the Casterlys out of Casterly Rock with no weapon but his wits, and stole gold from the sun to brighten his curly hair.

It seems that 1) even in-Westeros, some consider Bran the Builder a legend, and 2) although 'sun' is not used as a name, so it's not quite personified or deified (unlike the gods in the legend about Storm's End), it appears as something to steal from - could be a remnant of the original religion of the FM.

In Sansa II, Bronze Yohn's breastplate is mentioned, thousands of years old and engraved with runes. We also witness her reaction to that guy from the Vale being killed - she watches with a strange fascination as the crescent moons of his cape turn red one after another. Oh, and another use of 'song': her heart 'sings' when Joffrey praises her beauty.

In Arya III we encounter the one-eared black tomcat, “the real king of this castle”, “older than sin and twice as mean” (whom Arya kisses “right between the eyes”); as well as the giant shadows of Varys and Illyrio. Also, they're blinded by their own torches (this comes up in the next Cat chapter as well, Mya Stone refusing to light torches saying it'd only blind them)

“No one sent me, m’lord, saving old Mormont. I’m here to find men for the Wall, and when Robert next holds court, I’ll bend the knee and cry our need, see if the king and his Hand have some

scum in the dungeons they’d be well rid of. You might say as Benjen Stark is why we’re talking, though. His blood ran black. Made him my brother as much as yours. It’s for his sake I’m come. Rode hard, I did, near killed my horse the way I drove her, but I left the others well behind.”

I think this is where the 'black blood' comes up, signifying someone belonging to (or being related to, in the case of Craster) the Watch. I wonder if there is (or used to be) more to it than just a fancy way of describing 'brothers' of the NW.

In Catelyn VI,

“There was no time to send word ahead,” Catelyn told him. The others were coming up behind her. “I fear we ride before the storm, Uncle.”

“So, child. Tell me about this storm of yours.”

“I have not been a child in many years, Uncle,” Catelyn said, but she told him nonetheless. It took longer than she would have believed to tell it all, Lysa’s letter and Bran’s fall, the assassin’s dagger and Littlefinger and her chance meeting with Tyrion Lannister in the crossroads inn.

This has to be the same storm Bran saw gathering.

edit: linked ToH summaries

I wonder if Benjen's black blood has any relation to Coldhand's black hands? There's also the Night's Watch remaining true. Maybe "true" includes this "black blood". What does it mean, "black blood"? I'm still leaning towards a theory that the Night's Watch is a corruption of its original self and the "black blood" is evidence of this "corruption"?

Splendid post by Evita. The only thing I'd take issue with is the suggesting that finding "no-one" means he will in fact mean Arya. All things are possible, but if she comes back to Winterfell I would see her doing so as Arya Stark with Needle in her hand and Nymeria at her side.

Rather I think "no-one" means exactly that. Jon is the outsider and while unquestionably a son of Winterfell he must follow a solitary path to his destiny, perhaps as King of Winter but not Lord of Winterfell.

:bowdown: :bowdown: BLACK CROW and OTHERS who complimented my analysis: THANK YOU very much for your collective support. I have been learning so much becoming a part of this thread, and I very much enjoy how intense the discussions become. I spent a long time as an outsider looking in on your heretic thread, and now being a part of the discussion has been an absolute thrill for me.

My "no one" interpretation is "wishful" speculation, and I agree with your fine analysis Black Crow. I see Jon as a King of Winter as well.

To all the posters here, fabulous job. I enjoyed everyone's speculations about Jon's dream. I think it is a credit to all of you who create an atmosphere in which others feel comfortable sharing ideas.

Again, thanks a lot!!! [Now I am actually starting to have some fun!]

@ Feather Crystal:
I'm leaning towards the 'black blood' being part of 'true' (perhaps there was some sort of blood magic involved?), mainly because if it was a sign of corruption I can't imagine they'd be quite so fond of the phrase. Although, seeing that no-one seems to know its original meaning (if there was one at all!), that'd make me feel somewhat uneasy about the Watch being true...

Not sure, it just feels similar to 'Winter is coming' or 'There must always be a Stark...', kind of making sense as it is, but possibly having a deeper meaning...

@ Evita: glad you're having fun!

I'm still feeling rather uninspired, so it's mostly just quotes from the next chapter (italics in the quotes are original):

Bran V (Chapter 37)

Beyond the castle lay the market square, its wooden stalls deserted now. They rode down the muddy streets of the village, past rows of small neat houses of log and undressed stone. Less than one in five were occupied, thin tendrils of woodsmoke curling up from their chimneys. The rest would fill up one by one as it grew colder. When the snow fell and the ice winds howled down out of the north, Old Nan said, farmers left their frozen fields and distant holdfasts, loaded up their wagons, and then the winter town came alive. Bran had never seen it happen, but Maester Luwin said the day was looming closer. The end of the long summer was near at hand. Winter is coming.

Bran’s cloak billowed out, rippling in the wind, and the snow seemed to rush at his face. Robb was well ahead, glancing back over his shoulder from time to time to make sure Bran and the others were following. He snapped the reins again. Smooth as silk, Dancer slid into a gallop. The distance closed. By the time he caught Robb on the edge of the wolfswood, two miles beyond the winter town, they had left the others well behind. “I can ride!” Bran shouted, grinning. It felt almost as good as flying.

“Did you hear Summer howling last night?”
“Grey Wind was restless too,” Robb said. His auburn hair had grown shaggy and unkempt, and a reddish stubble covered his jaw, making him look older than his fifteen years. “Sometimes I think they know things…sense things…”

And goes on telling that last night a raven came with news of Ned's injury and his guards slaughter. We also learn that the North is preparing for war. And Bran conveniently still doesn't remember what happened.

Not so long ago, the thought of Robb calling the banners and riding off to war would have filled him with excitement, but now he felt only dread. “Can we go back now?” he asked. “I’m cold.”

Snow and wind:

A light snow was falling. Bran could feel the flakes on his face, melting as they touched his skin
like the gentlest of rains.

“The message was from Alyn in King’s Landing. Jory Cassel is dead. And Wyl and Heward as well. Murdered by the Kingslayer.” Robb lifted his face to the snow, and the flakes melted on his cheeks. “May the gods give them rest.”

The joy Bran had felt at the ride was gone, melted away like the snowflakes on his face.

They were on the far side when they heard the howl, a long rising wail that moved through the trees like a cold wind. Bran raised his head to listen. “Summer,” he said. No sooner had he spoken than a second voice joined the first.

Once he was gone, the woods seemed to close in around Bran. The snow was falling more heavily now. Where it touched the ground it melted, but all about him rock and root and branch wore a thin blanket of white. As he waited, he was conscious of how uncomfortable he felt. He could not feel his legs, hanging useless in the stirrups, but the strap around his chest was tight and chafing, and the melting snow had soaked through his gloves to chill his hands.

The fight:
No snow on the ground, so it's the stream that gets all the blood this time...

“The boy’s worth nothing dead, but alive…gods be damned, think what Mance would give to have Benjen Stark’s own blood to hostage!”

He was mounted, the bloody carcass of an elk slung across the back of his horse, his sword in a gloved hand.

I remember this being discussed in ne of the more recent Heresies. Did this apparent anomaly get resolved in the end?

There was something gaunt and terrible about them as they stood there amid the gently falling snow. Fresh blood spotted Grey Wind’s muzzle.

Holding the knife with both hands, the small woman stabbed down, but the direwolf seemed to sense the blade coming.

“Osha, kill the wolves and get his sword.”
“Kill them yourself,” she replied. “I’ll not be getting near those monsters.”
For a moment Stiv was at a loss. His hand trembled; Bran felt a trickle of blood where the knife pressed against his neck. The stench of the man filled his nose; he smelled of fear.

So Summer senses the blade coming and Bran smells the fear. Warg connection at work?

NANOTHER: I traced the bond between Summer and Bran, and Robb and Grey Wind. What follows is evidence that MIGHT suggest an early “pre-warg” connection with Robb and Grey Wind. [That is, IF Robb’s “elk” shadiness is important.]

ROBB AND GREY WIND: AN EARLY “PRE-WARG” CONNECTION? AS EVIDENCED IN A GAME OF THRONES, BRAN’S FIFTH POV

"Still . . . the honor of the north is in my hands now. When our lord father took his leave of us, he told me to be strong for you and for Rickon. I'm almost a man grown, Bran."

I have been taxing my mind about this theory wherein Martin MAY BE suggesting through dialogue, action, and reaction that Robb Stark and Grey Wind are bonding. Robb may derive his inner and outer strength from his connection to his direwolf.

1. DIALOGUE

We know through Bran’s POV’s the progression of having wolf dreams and then eventually opening the third eye to “consciously” warg a beast other than through dreams. Martin details Bran’s heightened sensory awareness in his wolf dreams where Bran smells the earth and tastes the blood through Summer. I “speculate” that maybe Robb is already “informed” of the bond between direwolf and owner, evident in the following passage:

“Bran looked around for the direwolves. Both had vanished into the wood. "Did you hear Summer howling last night?" [Later, Martin selects the verb “vanish” as action, but the “subject” is Robb vanished “into the trees”. ] Martin may have extended the importance of Robb and Grey Wind through employing the same verb to emphasize the connection between Robb and Grey Wind.

"Grey Wind was restless too," Robb said. His auburn hair had grown shaggy and unkempt, and a reddish stubble covered his jaw, making him look older than his fifteen years. "Sometimes I think they know things . . . sense things . . . " Robb sighed. "I never know how much to tell you, Bran. I wish you were older."

"I'm eight now!" Bran said. "Eight isn't so much younger than fifteen, and I'm the heir to Winterfell, after you."

"So you are." Robb sounded sad, and even a little scared. "Bran, I need to tell you something. There was a bird last night. From King's Landing. Maester Luwin woke me."

• Bran and Robb agree that the direwolves have been “restless” for they have been howling through the night. However, Robb is the one who offers a “reason” for the howling: Robb says “restless”. If Grey Wind and Robb mirror one another, then might Robb feel “restless” as well? Robb is carrying the honor of the north on his shoulders, so he may feel “restless” as he bides his time, waiting for when he will need to act!
  • Martin describes Robb’s “grooming” as lacking; however his “shaggy” hair and the “unkempt”, “reddish stubble” covering his jaw suggests a “wolfish” appearance. I propose that Robb may take on the “appearance” of his wolf when Martin attends to discussing the young lord’s hair and beard.
  • Bran thinks Robb’s “grunge” look makes him appear older than his fifteen years.
  • Most importantly in this passage is Robb’s next line, which is in context to Bran and Robb discussing their direwolves’ restless behavior: "Sometimes I think they know things . . . sense things . . . " Robb sighed.
  • Robb acknowledges the direwolves’ perception, mentioning that they “sense” things through their animal instincts. We have seen Summer alerting Bran to danger when he decides to go climbing. Summer and the other direwolves “sang” throughout Bran’s coma, and Maester Luwin wanted the window kept open so that Bran could hear his wolf and the others: the direwolf was enabling Bran’s heart to beat stronger. Robb witnesses this connection between Bran and his wolf. It stands to reason that Robb is also experiencing connections of himself and Grey Wind.
  • With Ghost at his side, Jon Snow has the strength to challenge Ser Alliser Thorne. He even has the strength to “face down” Catelyn when he says farewell to Bran. Likewise, Robb may be experiencing similar “connections” with his wolf Grey Wind.
  • We have speculated that the “wolf connection” may be brought on by especial challenges facing the Stark children. Jon’s relationship with Ghost grows deeper when they are at the Wall together and Ghost is Jon’s only friend and ally. Jon’s loneliness and feelings of alienation assist to build the framework of Jon and Ghost’s subsequent warg connection. Likewise, Robb has had power thrust upon him. He must fill his father’s shoes as lord of Winterfell, and he must also attend to the needs of his crippled brother and baby brother run wild, Rickon. I can see Robb finding comfort in Grey Wind, even crying into his grey fur the way Jon cries into Ghost’s white fur.
  • "I never know how much to tell you, Bran. I wish you were older."
  • When Robb says this, in context with the discussion of the wolves, “I never know how much to tell you, Bran” – I speculate that maybe Robb is referring to “something” about his relationship with Grey Wind. He seems to want to share “something” with Bran about the wolves and the way the wolves “know things”.
  • Robb’s words suggest that he misses Jon’s companionship as well, especially when he qualifies his statement with “I wish you were older” JUST LIKE JON. Yes, I think Robb is missing Jon’s confidences, opinions, and advisements. Theon Greyjoy is a poor substitute as “brother” to Robb. I must say Catelyn does Robb a grave injustice when she sends Jon to the Wall. Had Jon been present to help Robb deal with the burdens thrust upon him, the outcome may have been a little different.
  • Now, Robb’s statement can also relate to the news Robb discloses to Bran concerning the raven from King’s Landing the night before.

1. ACTIONS

In the following actions performed by Robb, Martin “maybe” revealing that a pre-warging connection is occurring between Robb and Grey Wind, demonstrated by Robb’s uncanny physical strength; if Bran can grow “stronger” physically through his connection to Summer, then maybe Robb is gathering strength through Grey Wind that allows him to lift an elk unaided and hoist the corpse over his gelding’s back.

Robb leaves Bran alone to check out the kill that the direwolves have made.

Robb says specifically to Bran that he will locate the direwolves “faster by myself”, which indicates to me that Robb is not in the company of others when he locates the direwolves and their kill: "I'll find them faster by myself." Robb spurred his gelding and vanished into the trees.

Robb returns to find Bran surrounded by two women and four men who are threatening him, demanding that Bran hand over his silver pin.

"Put down your steel now, and I promise you shall have a quick and painless death," Robb called out.

Bran looked up in desperate hope, and there he was. The strength of the words were undercut by the way his voice cracked with strain. He was mounted, the bloody carcass of an elk slung across the back of his horse, his sword in a gloved hand.

Truthfully, I do not think Robb is gone any longer than fifteen minutes. When he returns, Robb has an elk slung across his gelding; obviously the direwolves took down the elk. Here are Martin’s words:

"He was mounted, the bloody carcass of an elk slung across the back of his horse, his sword in a gloved hand."

Robb is fifteen, and nowhere has Martin indicated that Robb has the superhuman strength of a Jean Valjean. How does Robb hoist a dead body of a rather large animal on the back of his gelding with no assistance? Martin does not indicate that the elk is a calf, and I am assuming it has a rack that indicates it is an elk as opposed to a deer, stag, or buck. Even yearlings are a good size – not easily lifted up by one person to sling over a horse.

The Wiki says the following regarding size and weight of an average cow and bull: “Elk cows average 225 to 241 kg (500 to 530 lb), stand 1.3 m (4.3 ft) at the shoulder, and are 2.1 m (6.9 ft) from nose to tail. Bulls are some 40% larger than cows at maturity, weighing an average of 320 to 331 kg (710 to 730 lb), standing 1.5 m (4.9 ft) at the shoulder and averaging 2.45 m (8.0 ft) in length.[19][20] . . . The smallest bodied race is the Tule elk (C. c. nannodes), which weighs from 170 to 250 kg (370 to 550 lb) in both sexes.”[22] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk

So, maybe Martin is “hinting” at a pre-warg bond forming between Robb and Grey Wind through Robb’s excessive strength?

Not only would lifting a dead elk be difficult, but horses do not easily accept the dead body of an animal on their backs unless it is quartered and packaged, or so my husband the great hunter tells me. He says the horse may be well trained, but that horses as a rule can give a rider some difficulty, like "not" standing still while a dead animal is positioned so that it will not slide off?

I also do not think Robb had time to gut and bleed out the elk, unless the direwolves only left "part" of an elk, and ate the rest????

Lastly, Grey Wind’s performance during the battle is impressive; he takes down more of the offenders than any other combatant. Likewise, Robb demonstrates his prowess as a warrior, and he and Grey Wind fight side by side, joined by a common cause. Robb’s aggressiveness during the fight mirrors Grey Wind’s aggressiveness.

Thus, through Robb’s actions, Martin may be suggesting that Robb and his direwolf are uniting symbolically if not literally, with Robb drawing from Grey Wind’s strength, his aggressiveness, and his “wolf” spirit.

1. REACTION

The last piece of evidence that may point to the force that is the direwolves, or the force that sent the direwolves, the old gods with their instruments, is the LACK of REACTION in the horses Robb and Bran are mounted upon. When horses smell the blood, they panic, rear, and shy away – even RUN AWAY, with or without their riders.

Here is how Ned’s horse reacts to the blood:

“The horse moved closer, smelled the rank scent of blood, and galloped away” (384).

Robb’s gelding “allows” him to place the bloody carcass of a good-sized elk upon his back without giving his rider any grief. Thus, maybe through the direwolves and through the forces that are the old gods, the horses are beings “calmed” so that they do not panic and bolt.

Also, even though Martin describes the battle scene as a carnage: “The sixth man ran from the carnage . . . but not far.” – Bran and Robb’s horses remain unaffected by the blood and death around them. The elk stays tied to Robb’s gelding all through the bloody fight that even enters the rushing waters.

Therefore, in Bran’s fifth POV, Martin may reveal that Robb and Grey Wind are forming a bond that precedes the “wolf dreams” associated with the first warging experiences. Just as Summer’s link with Bran assists in healing Bran, somehow making his heart beat stronger, maybe Grey Wind’s bond to Robb is endowing him with physical strength, even mental strength, for Robb bravely confronts the cutthroats who dare to threaten his little brother.

Robb and Bran’s dialogue may suggest that Robb wants to confide “something” in Bran if only he were older. This “unspoken” something may be about the bond that Robb senses is forming between him and his wolf. Robb already states that the wolves “sense” things, and their howling through the night and their restlessness does correspond to the unpleasant situations for Starks at the Wall, at the Eyrie, and in King’s Landing. The direwolves can obviously sense, even from distances, the dangers that threaten the Stark pack.

AN: I presented the “elk” theory to the Heresy Thread and Small Questions. In Small Questions, a poster called the conundrum about the elk “sloppy writing”. On the other hand, Black Crow suggests that “others” not deemed important enough to mention follow along the royal party to assist with such things as “elk” take-downs by direwolves or by Theon, who was planning on getting a deer. [ironically, the direwolves get the “deer”!]

I am not sure about either. Martin does go to great lengths to name all the individuals participating in the outing, and the passage follows:

“They passed beneath the gatehouse, over the drawbridge, through the outer walls. Summer and Grey Wind came loping beside them, sniffing at the wind. Close behind came Theon Greyjoy, with his longbow and a quiver of broadheads; he had a mind to take a deer, he had told them. He was followed by four guardsmen in mailed shirts and coifs, and Joseth, a stick-thin stableman whom Robb had named master of horse while Hullen was away. Maester Luwin brought up the rear, riding on a donkey. Bran would have liked it better if he and Robb had gone off alone, just the two of them, but Hal Mollen would not hear of it, and Maester Luwin backed him. If Bran fell off his horse or injured himself, the maester was determined to be with him.”

• With Martin’s attention to detail, why wouldn’t he name everyone in the party, or give a general count of the party in the direwolf in the Bran V POV without the catalogue of names?

Nanother: What follows are more "close readings" regarding Bran's POV.

I also thought the "symbolism" of the direwolves is imprtant.

IMPRESSIONS

I have spent many days laboring over this Bran POV. I am going to be theorizing quite a bit.. I sometimes think that I am over-analyzing, so feel free to tell me if I am.

I have gathered evidences documenting important symbols occurring throughout the POV’s, but I am trying to puzzle out what the relevance of these elements could be. Through Bran’s eight-year-old perspective, Martin may provide clues to the growing pre-warg relationship between Robb and his direwolf Grey Wind and Bran and his direwolf Summer.

I observed that Summer hunts prey to eat, but Grey Wind hunts to kill. Robb may be feeding on Grey Wind’s aggressive wolf instincts during the wildling conflict in the wolfswoods. Robb may also make a fatal error in his decision not to bury the dead who fall, even those who are enemies. There are rites due all the dead.

In Greek and Homeric mythology, not burying the dead, or showing an attempt to do so, violates the laws of the gods who demand respect for all the dead, even the enemies. King Creon pays “blood for blood” and “corpse for corpse” in Sophocles’ tragedy Antigone, when he forbids the burial of his fallen foe Polynices, even though Creon is the uncle of the slain. When Antigone defies the ‘laws of man’ forbidding her brother’s burial and gives last rite to the corpse by sprinkling sand upon him, Creon condemns Antigone to entombment in a cave. As a result of his “blindness” to the laws of the gods, Creon suffers the deaths of all those close to him: his spouse, his son. [Robb and Catelyn lose their families before they die.]

The forces that are the gods seemingly have a “karmic” way to punish those who violate the laws of the gods – the laws of hospitality, the last rites or respect due to the dead, and other? It seems to me that the violations of some of these unwritten laws of the gods have been escalating throughout the series. Are these “sins” of humankind tipping the balance?

Then, even though Grey Wind is a gift to Robb from the old gods, it appears that even the old gods cannot intervene to influence “free will”. [bran’s decision to climb despite Summer’s warning]. Maybe even an instrument of the old gods can go astray when the “wolf” or animal instinct takes over?

The stream in Bran’s POV becomes a symbolic baptismal font in which Grey Wind is fully submerged, Robb is submerged to mid-thigh, and Bran gets his foot wet. What is Martin telling us? [We have symbolic baptisms in many the preceding POV’s : Arya and the sewer; Catelyn and Ned in the rain; Dany submerged in a scalding hot bath]. Is Robb becoming stronger through Grey Wind? Is he being symbolically reborn into a “heroic warrior”? Robb and Grey Wind are the fiercest combatants. Does Robb allow his anger to overrule his judgments when he orders the dead be left for the crows? Robb and Grey Wind share similar fates. Robb orders two deserters beheaded, their bodies left for crows. Robb and Grey Wind endure a “loosely” similar fate. Just saying . . . ?

BRAN’S AWAKENING SENSES AND HIS LINK WITH SUMMER

• I may have found something significant, although usually when I think that is the case, I learn that my “original thought” has already been thought by others. Regardless, I will present my ideas to see what you think. Martin’s language choices once again reveal deeper meanings. In the following passage, notice how Martin chooses words that evoke the OLFACTORY sensory details, which is IMPORTANT because this shows that Bran is bonding on a deeper level with Summer, although I do not think Bran realizes yet that his senses are becoming more acute:

It was nice under the trees. Bran kept Dancer to a walk, holding the reins lightly and looking all around him as they went. He knew this wood, but he had been so long confined to Winterfell that he felt as though he were seeing it for the first time. The smells filled his nostrils; the sharp fresh tang of pine needles, the earthy odor of wet rotting leaves, the hints of animal musk and distant cooking fires. He caught a glimpse of a black squirrel moving through the snow-covered branches of an oak, and paused to study the silvery web of an empress spider.

• Bran’s sight reveals Winterfell as though “he were seeing it for the first time.” Martin’s dependent clause indicates that Bran’s vision of Winterfell is sharper, although Bran attributes this fact to his long confinement in his sick room in Winterfell. Bran’s sight is augmented by the “smells” that Bran identifies, which all have associations to Bran’s heightened awareness of sensory details when he begins having his wolf dreams. This passage MAY be an insinuation that Summer’s pre- warg connection to Bran is forming. “Smells filled” Bran’s nostrils: “the sharp fresh tang of pine needles, the earthy odor of wet rotting leaves, the hints of animal musk and distant cooking fires”: all of these smells are apparent as Bran moves “under the trees”. This passage foreshadows events to come, such as Bran entering a cave where he will be “under the trees”. Bran is mounted on Dancer, yet he smells pine needles and rotting leaves, even animal musk, which are seemingly “scents” that are closer to the ground, which make them at “wolf-level”. The smells are linked to Summer’s astute sense which he will soon be sharing with Bran on another level of consciousness.
  • Bran’s eyesight is critical. He spies a squirrel, an animal Bran has been associated with in his second POV, when Ned says to him, “You’re not my son . . . you’re a squirrel” (80). Moreover, the squirrel is among the branches, and in his second POV, we learn of a time that Bran had fallen asleep in the branches of the tallest sentinel tree in the grove.
  • Bran stops to study the “silvery web of an empress spider”. The “spider” we have discussed at length, and with Bran spotting a squirrel, and now a spider, his observation seems important. This might mean that the “web” of deceit that has been woven by Varys has “far-reaching” consequences, even extending as far away as Winterfell.
  • In the following passages, Martin uses the word combinations of rock and root, first in the description of Robb crossing the” stream, and second, when Bran is by himself, he realizes the snow is falling “more heavily as he looks around him. Martin implies that “ rock and root and branch” wear a thin coating of snow.
  • The nouns rock and root are important to Bran, for he will end up beneath “rock”, among the “roots” of trees, and by traveling through the weirwood’s branches, he will have 1000 eyes, 100 skins, and knowledge deep as the roots of trees.
  • The spray of water on Bran’s face is a refreshing baptism, and crossing the stream makes Bran feel “strong again and whole”.

The stream was running high and fast. Robb dismounted and led his gelding across the ford. In the deepest part of the crossing, the water came up to midthigh. He tied his horse to a tree on the far side, and waded back across for Bran and Dancer. The current foamed around rock and root, and Bran could feel the spray on his face as Robb led him over. It made him smile. For a moment he felt strong again, and whole. He looked up at the trees and dreamed of climbing them, right up to the very top, with the whole forest spread out beneath him.

• Bran looks up at the trees, and he dreams of climbing them, “right up to the very top, with the whole forest spread out beneath him”. The references to the trees and climbing and the forest below parallel Bran’s climbing POV as well as his 3EC dream.
  • Bran and Dancer: Bran’s name is actually part of the word BRANCH. Aligned with DANCER, we would have BRAN DANCER, or BRANCH DANCER, or WOOD DANCER??
  • The water reaches midthigh on Robb; later, Bran is cut on his thigh. Ned’s horse falls on his leg, shattering it.

They were on the far side when they heard the howl, a long rising wail that moved through the trees like a cold wind. Bran raised his head to listen. "Summer," he said. No sooner had he spoken than a second voice joined the first.

• Martin’s wording is foremost: both Robb and Bran hear the “howl” – and Bran knows immediately that the howl belongs to Summer, who does not sing solo for long.
  • The direwolf’s howl “moved through the trees like a cold wind”. I mention this because the white walkers come with the “cold” – and here Martin asserts that the HOWL is “A LONG RISING WAIL” and this “wail” “moved through the trees like a cold wind.”Martin’s use of metaphor and simile is prominent, but does one “see” or “hear” a wail move through the trees like a cold wind? Bran’s sensory perceptions are growing stronger, and I think they are a result of Bran’s 3EC dream AND the “warg” spirit blossoming in Bran, especially through his growing familiarity with his direwolf Summer. In an earlier POV, Bran disclosed that his direwolf was the “smartest” of all the others; furthermore, Summer was not interested in playing fetch with a stick. Silly “dog games” are not Summer’s forte: Bran’s direwolf has “intellect”, so Bran’s wolf is “specially” composed of all elements that are necessary to be the partner of a greenseer.
  • I also think Martin employs the symbology of the Gate – the Portcullis – and the WATER – crossing the stream by wading in the water, to a purpose. The “gate” symbolically represents an opening to another world. In Bran’s case, when he is set free of Winterfell, he “smiles” often. His senses are heightened. He has a mystic communion with nature, noticing the small details around him like the spider’s web, but he still has lofty dreams, as is evident in his thoughts of being a knight and in his desire to climb the trees. In the opening paragraphs of this POV, Bran thinks that riding is almost better than FLYING. [but Bran thinks ALMOST.] When Jojen comes to guide Bran into opening his third eye, Jojen says that he had dreamt that he must free the “winged wolf” from his chains that bind him to Winterfell. I am speculating that Martin early on associates Bran with aspects of nature because as a greenseer, Bran will “figuratively” join with nature, learning to use the weirwoods to watch, and Martin HAS made it clear from early on that Bran enjoys “watching”

"They've made a kill," Robb said as he remounted. "I'd best go and bring them back. Wait here, Theon and the others should be along shortly."

"I want to go with you," Bran said.

• Robb recognizes the howl as an alert that the direwolves have taken down their kill. This connection with the wolves supports the premise that the early stages of the wolf and Stark alliance are under way.

Robb says specifically to Bran that he will locate the direwolves “faster by myself”, which indicates to me that Robb is not in the company of others when he locates the direwolves and their kill: "I'll find them faster by myself." Robb spurred his gelding and vanished into the trees.

Once he was gone, the woods seemed to close in around Bran. The snow was falling more heavily now. Where it touched the ground it melted, but all about him rock and root and branch wore a thin blanket of white. As he waited, he was conscious of how uncomfortable he felt. He could not feel his legs, hanging useless in the stirrups, but the strap around his chest was tight and chafing, and the melting snow had soaked through his gloves to chill his hands. He wondered what was keeping Theon and Maester Luwin and Joseth and the rest.

• The woods closing in around are symbolically getting “close” to Bran, and I propose that maybe the woods closing in on Bran means that nature and the force that is the old gods are making an effort to protect him from what is to come.
  • Martin uses the compound elements in the phrase “rock and root and branch” to describe the area around Bran. This is the second time in the last few paragraphs that Martin has used the words “rock and root” together. Even the thin blanket of snow upon the rock and root and branch seems protective: Bran will be “metaphorically” associated with rock and root and branch, and since “snow” is part of the north, and since the “north” is part of the ancestry and the history of the Starks, I think the snow blanket shields the aspect of nature which Bran will become a part of. [Khaleesi uses Viserys sandsilk green cloak as a blanket, and she curls up with a dragon egg snuggled between her breasts and her stomach, and the egg is described as a “stone” dragon?]
  • The feeling in Bran’s stomach is detailed as “hard as stone” in the following sentence: “There was something about the Lannisters, something he ought to remember, but when he tried to think what, he felt dizzy and his stomach clenched hard as a stone”. The “stone” may be protecting Bran from the unpleasant memory of what Jaime Lannister did to him at the Broken Tower. The repeated use of “stone” echoes the first waycastle at the Eyrie: Stone, which is followed by SNOW.
  • “Snow” is the bastard name for Bran’s half-brother “Jon Snow”; literally, Jon Snow loves his brother. Just as we see Robb attending to Bran’s needs, Jon Snow used to see to Bran’s needs when he was home. Bran even recalls a time fishing with Jory when Bran did not catch a fish: Jon kindly gives Bran his. This story parallels the direwolves introduced in Bran’s first POV.
  • Martin’s description of how Bran feels seated on Dancer foreshadows Bran seated on his weirwood throne: “As he waited, he was conscious of how uncomfortable he felt. He could not feel his legs, hanging useless in the stirrups, but the strap around his chest was tight and chafing, and the melting snow had soaked through his gloves to chill his hands”. At this time, Bran feels “uncomfortable”. He will gradually learn to accept his gifts and to awaken them with the onset of time and with the arrival of Jojen.
  • The “melting snow” that has “soaked through his gloves to chill his hands” calls to mind Ned’s past POV: “Ned was soaked through to the bone, and his soul had grown cold” (381).
  • After Bran hears Theon tell Robb to call the banners, Martin describes the way Bran feels, employing the “snow” and the “cold”:

The joy Bran had felt at the ride was gone, melted away like the snowflakes on his face. Not so long ago, the thought of Robb calling the banners and riding off to war would have filled him with excitement, but now he felt only dread. "Can we go back now?" he asked. "I'm cold."

• Up to this point, the ride out on Dancer had been joyful and Bran actually smiles. But when the gravity of what Robb calling the banners means makes Bran want to return to Winterfell – back to the safety of the grey stone walls. Bran says, “I’m cold.” Bran’s feelings mirror his father’s in his prior POV: “his soul had grown cold.”
  • Bran’s maturity is apparent in his adult-like observation that calling the banners is not child’s play.

Bran nodded, trying not to let his fear show. He had not been outside Winterfell since his fall, but he was determined to ride out as proud as any knight.

This description is important for it speaks to Bran’s personal determination to ride out of Winterfell as “proud as any knight”; even though he is crippled, Bran maintains a positive spirit about his disability.

"Let's ride, then." Robb put his heels into his big grey-and-white gelding, and the horse walked under the portcullis.

• Marin deliberately aligns Robb’s commands to his gelding to Bran’s commands to his filly: Robb uses his heels in the horse’s side. But in the following passage, Martin details the manner in which Bran gives commands to Dancer that do not involve the heels.
  • Bran’s filly responds to “rein and voice and touch”.

"Go," Bran whispered to his own horse. He touched her neck lightly, and the small chestnut filly started forward. Bran had named her Dancer. She was two years old, and Joseth said she was smarter than any horse had a right to be. They had trained her special, to respond to rein and voice and touch. Up to now, Bran had only ridden her around the yard. At first Joseth or Hodor would lead her, while Bran sat strapped to her back in the oversize saddle the Imp had drawn up for him, but for the past fortnight he had been riding her on his own, trotting her round and round, and growing bolder with every circuit.

• Bran issues his “go” command to Dancer by whispering in her ear and touching her neck. By communicating with his filly differently, Bran succeeds in riding again. [bran symbolically becomes a horse whisperer!]
  • Martin uses “chestnut” as the color of Bran’s filly, which complements Bran later spying a squirrel in the tree branches.
  • Moreover, Bran’s relationship with his filly is seemingly more intense than the relationships other characters have with their horses. For example, we as readers are not aware of the names of Robb’s mount or Theon’s mount. Bran’s filly is important enough for a name. [The naming of horses is a sub-theme under the “no one” theme where confused or missing identities are at issue.
  • The identity of horses is an interesting avenue because Martin makes a choice to “name” some horses, which suggests to me that those horses that have names have more importance or significance when compared to nameless horses.
  • Bran’s filly is part of a “horse” theme that is sustained in the various character POV’s. In Ned’s POV, a horse falls on Ned’s leg. In Dany’s POV, she rides into Vaes Dothrak on her silver.
  • Joseth says that Bran’s filly is “smarter than any horse” has a right to be. Bran claims that his Summer is the “smartest” direwolf of the pack as well.
  • The several descriptions of Bran strapped on Dancer intimate Bran enthroned on his weirwood seat in ADwD.
  • Martin does disclose that Bran and Dancer have a good working relationship, and maybe Bran’s “warg spirit” assists Bran in bonding so quickly and so seamlessly, as is evident in this POV.

Bran’s heightened perceptivity and intuitiveness are clearly illustrated in Bran’s conscientious study of other characters.

Bran sees beyond Robb’s light and joking tone and his smile: Bran senses that something is troubling Robb: "I'd race you, but I fear you'd win." Robb's tone was light and joking, yet Bran could tell that something was troubling his brother underneath the smile.

Bran can boast having the smartest filly and the smartest direwolf. However, Bran mirrors his horse and his wolf in regards to intellect, and one example occurs in his narrative regarding the biological difference between a wolf and a direwolf:

"Direwolves," Bran said. Still half-grown, they were as large as any wolf he had ever seen, but the differences were easy to spot, if you knew what to look for. Maester Luwin and Farlen the kennelmaster had taught him. A direwolf had a bigger head and longer legs in proportion to its body, and its snout and jaw were markedly leaner and more pronounced. There was something gaunt and terrible about them as they stood there amid the gently falling snow.

• Bran is an apt student, absorbing information from Maester Luwin and Farlen about the proportions of a direwolf compared to a wolf.
  • Martin describes the direwolves as “gaunt and terrible”, yet the “falling snow” is GENTLE. This offers a marked contrast in images, even a paradox. The monstrous direwolves stand amid the gently falling snow.

When Robb mentions calling the banners to Bran, Bran reminds his brother to consult Maester Luwin before making any decisions. This shows Bran’s advanced thinking, for he offers his brother sound, rational advice in his time of need. Bran may only be eight years old, but he is thinking perceptively and with the best interests of his brother at heart.

“Bran had sort of liked the little man,” Bran likes Tyrion,

“yet the name Lannister sent cold fingers creeping up his spine.” The name of Lannister causes COLD fingers to creep up Bran’s spine: we as the readers “know” whose “cold” fingers belong to: Jaime Lannister. Do you suppose Martin’s choice of “fingers” is an “on purpose”?

“There was something about the Lannisters, something he ought to remember, but when he tried to think what, he felt dizzy and his stomach clenched hard as a stone”.Bran becomes physically ill when he tries to figure out what the “something” is he ought to remember: he becomes dizzy and he has a stomach spasm. This is Bran’s physical body communicating with him: Bran is subconsciously repressing the memory of Jaime pushing him, but he is nearing the time when he will remember what happened. Bran instinctively senses “danger” in the name Lannister: is this Summer influencing Bran in a pre-warg way?

Lots of interesting stuff in your post, a little too much for me to concentrate on at this time. Martin definitely puts a lot of emphasis on gates. Cat's journey up to the Eyrie is an especially interesting read. As is Arya's journey into Braavos. Both of those journeys definitely made me think about the journeys into the underworld found in a lot of mythology (and in Dante's inferno). Bran indicating that he liked Tyrion was interesting as well. Usually the wolves pick up from their wargs what to think of another person. Thus it makes sense that Grey Wind was hostile to Tyrion because of Robb's anger. It doesn't really explain why Summer also felt the same hostility towards Tyrion. I think the wolves are picking up something hidden within Tyrion. Aemon also immediately comments that Tyrion is "a giant" among us upon their first meeting. Targaryens sense a grandeur about Tyrion while direwolves sense a threat?

When the snow fell and the ice winds howled down out of the north, Old Nan said, farmers left their frozen fields and distant holdfasts, loaded up their wagons, and then the winter town came alive.

It's interesting that the town comes alive during winter, and almost seems dead during the summer. Winterfell really does seem to thrive in the winter.

@evita I've always believed that Robb was just as connected to his direwolf as his other siblings, and you just break it down rather nicely! Haven't had a chance to read your second post yet, but I'll get to it.

@Frey family reuinion And it's not just Grey Wind and Summer that don't like Tyrion. Ghost is pretty hostile toward Tyrion until Jon starts to be friendly with him. Even then, Ghost doesn't seem to warm up to Tyrion like he does with Sam (but I guess Ghost's reaction towards Sam was a bit weird as well). It's strange because Tyrion doesn't really have any ill will toward the Starks. The only thing at this point that the direwolves may sense, is that he's a Lannister. The direwolves picking up something hidden within Tyrion seems like a good idea..sensing danger from him for something he will do to the Starks in the future perhaps like you said

Evita...well done, as always. So thorough there wasn't much meat left to pick off that bone! The only opening you left was the "cold fingers", which I think brings to mind Littlefinger more so than Jaime. Jaime did the pushing, but Littlefinger's lie about the dagger caused just as much, if not more, harm to the Starks.

Evita: great points about the Stark-wolf bonds!

I can't possibly respond to everything in one sitting, but some points:

I agree with the overall conclusion that Robb's bond with Grey Wind is affecting him emotionally and mentally, not sure about the physical aspect.

About Summer howling and Grey Wind being restless: I'm not entirely sold on this - I think Bran wouldn't single out Summer if he had heard all of the wolves howling. So the meaning I got from that is that Summer was howling, while Grey Wind was merely restless. Which is somewhat strange - I don't know if it means anything, or Summer is just more vocal (he's also the first to howl in this chapter), or they did all howl after all and Bran just doesn't mention it...

As to wishing that Bran was older: I interpreted it to be about the letter that came, and perhaps the 'lordly' matters in general.The North is preparing for war, which no-one tells Bran about, but he's picking up some of it anyway. 'Wolf' matters could be included as well, although I'm not sure why he'd keep those from Bran. As you say, he's probably missing Jon, with whom he could freely talk. I get the feeling that just like when Ned has his talk with Arya, telling her as little as he can and still make her understand the seriousness of the situation, Robb feels obliged to spare his little brother as much of the burden as he can.

Regarding the elk: I agree that the 'invisible attendants' theory doesn't work, for the reasons you gave and more. However, if it's meant to be a clue about Robb and Grey Wind's bond, it's extremely obscure compared to the other ones. So, unless this 'superhuman strength' proves to be relevant later in the books, I'm content with it being a mistake. I wouldn't even call it 'sloppy writing' - in a work of the volume and complexity of ASoIaF, overlooking a few small details like this is bound to happen.

The one thing about Robb's physical strength that comes to mind is when he carries Bran up to his tower room (after feasting the NW people, I think it's his previous POV): Bran says (paraphrasing) Robb's strong for his age, but was still out of breath by the time he climbed all those stairs.

You make an interesting point about the horses' behaviour - you're quite possibly onto something with that.

I observed that Summer hunts prey to eat, but Grey Wind hunts to kill.

I'm puzzled about this one - how did you come to this conclusion? I noticed that apparently only Grey Wind's muzzle was spotted with blood, but if anything, doesn't that imply that he was the one to actually start eating?

That's a good point about (not) burying the dead possibly having 'karmic' consequences. Something to watch out for.

Interesthing point about the 'baptism'. I wonder though, after Bran getting a spray of water and feels invigorated, what's the significance of getting his foot wet?

Although, that feeling is only momentary, resulting in a short daydream.

Also, is there any significance to the snowflakes melting on his cheek vs the spray of water from the stream?

There's a lot of talk about snow and wind and earth in Heresies, but about streams (or water in general, apart from Arya's obvious water connection), not so much. Yet, here the snow is melting on their faces and on the ground, while the stream runs high (presumably because of snow melting - there was quite a lot of snow around in some of the previous chapters, that had to go somewhere).

Hmm, they found the wolves on the bank of a river (before crossing it). Not sure whether that's significant. Other than that, it's camps next to streams, which is kind of trivial, and, of course, Winterfell's hot springs, and their water flowing in the walls...

Also good catch about 'rock and root'. It also resonates with Winterfell being likened to a tree. And excellent observations about Bran's enhanced senses!

As to the howl being likened to cold wind - it's interesting that Ghost is often described in Other-like terms (pale shadow, sliding silently etc) while also being a source of warmth to Jon, now we have a similar, seemingly self-contradictory effect with Summer.

Right, I give up now. I might answer to the rest some other time... not even sure if I'm making sense...

I hope I'm not jumping ahead, but I've just reread the end of the Arya POV where she's in the cellar of the Red Keep following and listening to Varys and Illyrio. Illyrio tells Varys to delay, but Varys says they should hurry. The next POV is Ned at the great council with King Robert demanding that Daenerys and Vicerys be killed. Varys is the one that brought this news to the council. What is Varys up to? Was the timing of bringing news of Daenerys'a pregnancy part of this "hurrying"?

Varys is the one that brought this news to the council. What is Varys up to? Was the timing of bringing news of Daenerys' pregnancy part of this "hurrying"?

Definitely. It provoked Robert into ordering Dany's assassination. Which provoked Drogo into starting preparations to invade Westeros straight away.

Definitely. It provoked Robert into ordering Dany's assassination. Which provoked Drogo into starting preparations to invade Westeros straight away.

Varys chose to tell the council about Danys pregnancy but not about Tyrion's kidnapping which shows he 's provoking the King to make a move on Dany while trying not to fan the Stark Lannister feud. Also if the POV chapters are in chronological order in AGOT, how does Illyrio know about Dany's pregnancy? Danny had not yet made it to Vase Dothrak and there is no indication that any ravens are being sent from the horde?

I guess it's past time we moved on - started working on the next chapter, but will be thoroughly distracted for the next several hours...

In the meantime, from the 'skipped' Eddard chapter:

He dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks, and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood.

In the dream his friends rode with him, as they had in life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory’s father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon’s squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion. Ned had known their faces as well as he knew his own once, but the years leech at a man’s memories, even those he has vowed never to forget. In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist.

They were seven, facing three. In the dream as it had been in life. Yet these were no ordinary three. They waited before the round tower, the red mountains of Dorne at their backs, their white cloaks blowing in the wind. And these were no shadows; their faces burned clear, even now.

This resonates with Bran's 3EC vision, and so does the following quote from ADwD (it's jumping ahead, but it's so far ahead that I might forget by the time we get there):

Men live their lives trapped in an eternal present, between the mists of memory and the sea of shadow that is all we know of the days to come.

Also, still the same dream/same chapter:

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.” As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. “Eddard!” she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.

“Lord Eddard,” a man echoed from the dark.

Groaning, Eddard Stark opened his eyes. Moonlight streamed through the tall windows of the Tower of the Hand.

“Lord Eddard?” A shadow stood over the bed.

Jon V

Mostly character building and insights into the organisation of the Watch. Jon and a few others are declared to be ready to say the wow, but not Sam.

As they passed the wine from hand to hand, grinning like fools, Jon noticed Samwell Tarly standing by himself beneath a bare dead tree in the corner of the yard.

“Do you think they’ll keep us together?” Pyp wondered as they gorged themselves happily.

Toad made a face. “I hope not. I’m sick of looking at those ears of yours.”

“Ho,” said Pyp. “Listen to the crow call the raven black. You’re certain to be a ranger, Toad. They’ll want you as far from the castle as they can. If Mance Rayder attacks, lift your visor and show your face, and he’ll run off screaming.”

Every man who wore the black walked the Wall, and every man was expected to take up steel in its defense, but the rangers were the true fighting heart of the Night’s Watch. It was they who dared ride beyond the Wall, sweeping through the haunted forest and the icy mountain heights west of the Shadow Tower, fighting Wildlings and giants and monstrous snow bears.

Once, it was said, they had quarried immense blocks of ice from frozen lakes deep in the haunted forest, dragging them south on sledges so the Wall might be raised ever higher. Those days were centuries gone, however; now, it was all they could do to ride the Wall from Eastwatch to the Shadow Tower, watching for cracks or signs of melt and making what repairs they could.

I have trouble believing that.

A deep restlessness was on him as he went back to Hardin’s Tower for Ghost. The direwolf walked beside him to the stables. Some of the more skittish horses kicked at their stalls and laid back their ears as they entered. Jon saddled his mare, mounted, and rode out from Castle Black, south across the moonlit night. Ghost raced ahead of him, flying over the ground, gone in the blink of an eye. Jon let him go. A wolf needed to hunt.

Jon feels restless and it's full moon – very wolfish; although he's worried about Sam and apprehensive about his upcoming initiation, so it could be just that...

He had no destination in mind. He wanted only to ride. He followed the creek for a time, listening to the icy trickle of water over rock, then cut across the fields to the kingsroad. It stretched out before him, narrow and stony and pocked with weeds, a road of no particular promise, yet the sight of it filled Jon Snow with a vast longing. Winterfell was down that road, and beyond it Riverrun and King’s Landing and the Eyrie and so many other places; Casterly Rock, the Isles of Faces, the red mountains of Dorne, the hundred islands of Braavos in the sea, the smoking ruins of old Valyria. All the places that Jon would never see. The world was down that road…and he was here.

I don't really know what the significance is, but Bran and Robb cross a stream a few chapters before, while Jon follows a creek and then leaves it. So, while his brothers come into varying degrees of contact with the water, he 'only' listens to it (can it have something to do with the song of earth). He is about to 'cross the river', though:

Once he swore his vow, the Wall would be his home until he was old as Maester Aemon. “I have not sworn yet,” he muttered. He was no outlaw, bound to take the black or pay the penalty for his crimes. He had come here freely, and he might leave freely…until he said the words. He need only ride on, and he could leave it all behind. By the time the moon was full again, he would be back in Winterfell with his brothers.

And then he remembers that he doesn't have a place there, or anywhere else.

Jon Snow turned away from the kingsroad to look behind him. The fires of Castle Black were hidden behind a hill, but the Wall was there, pale beneath the moon, vast and cold, running from horizon to horizon.

He wheeled his horse around and started for home.

On the way he thinks about Sam, and decides to go to Maester Aemon in hopes of convincing him to take him as his personal steward.

Jon glanced warily at Chett, standing beside the door, his boils red and angry. “He could help you,” he said quickly. “He can do sums, and he knows how to read and write. I know Chett can’t read, and Clydas has weak eyes. Sam read every book in his father’s library. He’d be good with the ravens too. Animals seem to like him. Ghost took to him straight off. There’s a lot he could do, besides fighting. The Night’s Watch needs every man. Why kill one, to no end? Make use of him instead.”

So why do they need Jon to tell them that? Mormont complained that hardly anyone can read, and then when they get someone who can, and loves to, they just ignore him?

Bloodraven said:

Men live their lives trapped in an eternal present, between the mists of memory and the sea of shadow that is all we know of the days to come.

One of the items that has been discussed recently in Heresy is that the CoTF cave (and similar underground dwellings) may have a modifying effect on time. When one enters for a day; they may actually exit several years (100's???) in the future. This quote by BR gives credance to the notion that plugging into the Weirwood allows the greenseer the ability to navigate those mists (memories) and seas of shadow (future).

Archived