It's inevitable that one of the dragons is going to get slain...

Could be the Citadel, could be the Faceless Men. Could be the Others. Could be winter itself. Could be a hotshot archer with a weirwood arrow. Lots of plausible possibilities. ;)

And yes I think a weirwood arrow would kill them. Wherever Brandon Snow got the idea (and that is the $64,000 question), it was legit. And we know that weirwoods can withstand fire and heat, like the tree where the wildlings burn their dead or Winterfell's godswood. Something like, "There's life in the wood that's as strong as any fire." I think that's why it has to be weirwood; an ordinary arrow would burn too quickly.

With the whole 2nd dance supposedly coming up, one of the dragons could end up being slain by another dragon. That is the one sure way we know a dragon gets dead.

I don't think Aegon will get to mount one of Dany's dragons, because I doubt she'd let him if she knew his true identity.

I don't think any of them will survive.

As for the killers I'd say, in order of likeliness:

Another dragon

Some kind of Others creature/"Great Other" if it exists

The Citadel

Jon Snow

Dany

Bran (via some kind of warging mindkill)

Someone known for their archery ie. Satin, Theon, that dude in the BwB

Euron Greyjoy

I don't think Aegon will get to mount one of Dany's dragons, because I doubt she'd let him if she knew his true identity.

I'm not sure it's a matter of "letting" anyone do anything. Dany can't allow or deny anyone to do anything with her dragons considering that two of them are no longer in her immediate possession.

I'm not sure that Dany will control the three dragons. And it's not just Aegon that could potentially gain control of a dragon. In fact, I think it highly unlikely that he ever does.

I'm not sure it's a matter of "letting" anyone do anything. Dany can't allow or deny anyone to do anything with her dragons considering that two of them are no longer in her immediate possession.

It seems governing isn't the only thing she has neglected.

It hasn't come out yet. But I believe that it's coming out this year. Around the end of August, GRRM read an excerpt of the WOIAF about the Targaryen conquest of Westeros. I'll give you the link.

Anyways, Torrhen Stark's brother, Brandon Stark offered to shoot the Targaryen dragons with weirwood bows but Torrhen bent the knee to Aegon.

ETA: This one is better

http://thewertzone.b...onquest-in.html

The Winds of Winter comes out in 7 months? Link please.

I like the Theon theory a lot. I can also see it being Aegon, killing one of them to prove his loyalty to Dorne and getting them some vengeance for Quentyn. It would also probably quash any fears of him being another dragon-mad Targaryen... and suggest that he's a Blackfyre.

Wait... where are Rhaegal and Viserion? Silly Dany, you really shouldn't have made it so obvious that Drogon was your favourite.

Wait... where are Rhaegal and Viserion? Silly Dany, you really shouldn't have made it so obvious that Drogon was your favourite.

This reminds me of a post Tze had once about how Dany's dragons might mirror Cersei's children in some way, given that Dany and Cersei are intentionally written as foils of sorts, and each has three "children." The theory was that Drogon, like Joffrey, is the favorite but would die first, forcing Dany to fall back to Viserion (Tommen), the least confrontational and war-like of the three, who gets the job done but is ultimately a disappointment to mummy after Drogon/Joffrey. And like factions have been trying to pit Myrcella against Tommen, factions might try to pit Rhaegal (as a symbol for, say, Aegon or another entity) against Viserion.

I think the most likely possibility is the Others and they might take down more than one dragon, perhaps even including Jon and Daenerys (who are dragons themselves, in a manner of speaking).

I would think all 3 of them will be dead by the end of the series honestly. Dragons plant no trees- Once the battle for the Dawn and the War of Kings is over, and the Others/Iron Throne situation is presumably settled, I doubt there will be any Dragons left.

I think it's striking how little characterization/"humanization" has occurred with them, at least compared to the dire wolves. Leads me to believe, even outside of the gruesome violence they inflict, that GRRM does not intend for us to fully root for the Dragons to survive.

Archived