A Compendium of Theories

Full-Faced Braavosi

Thanks again for having done this, FFB.

Here's a really excellent thread by Ragnorak that gives an in depth look at Sansa's Snow Castle chapter; it's both full of strong character analysis, as well as symbolism and possible foreshadowing on the subject of Sansa, LF and the Stark rebuilding of Winterfell.

Since people believe it,it's a theory regardless of the personal feelings that everyone can have.

End of the story.

Nope, not how theories work. I don't get to say "gravity is fake!" then convince three people and suddenly it's a valid theory.

Once more. If people believe it's a theory. It's called respect other people's choices and beliefs.

I can understand subjective list, but I don't understand being subjective and act like you are objective.

Pretty sure I said I decide, so it's inherently subjective (though really, what isn't), but as per usual with you, you decided not to respond to any of my criticisms, thereby only reinforcing my opinion.

Thanks again for having done this, FFB.

Here's a really excellent thread by Ragnorak that gives an in depth look at Sansa's Snow Castle chapter; it's both full of strong character analysis, as well as symbolism and possible foreshadowing on the subject of Sansa, LF and the Stark rebuilding of Winterfell.

Thanks BB - I'll check it out tomorrow.

snip

To clear things up. It doesn’t matter to me if you will put my theory in your list It's my theory and I stand behind it 100% no matter what, I just was talking with someone and I told that I will prove that this was not an objective list.

So you proved me right. Thank you.

Btw because you don’t agree with something you can’t dismiss the people who are and I am not the only one.

To clear things up. It doesn’t matter to me if you will put my theory in your list It's my theory and I stand behind it 100% no matter what, I just was talking with someone and I told that I will prove that this was not an objective list.

Btw because you don’t agree with something you can’t dismiss the people who are and I am not the only one.

It's fine that you and others believe it, but I don't see any evidence for it, which is why FFB is refusing to add it. If it had even a small amount of evidence, I'm sure it would be added. It just looks like shooting in the dark to me, no offence, and in FFB's first paragraph in the OP, it says that such theories will not be added.

To clear things up. It doesn't matter to me if you will put my theory in your list It's my theory and I stand behind it 100% no matter what, I just was talking with someone and I told that I will prove that this was not an objective list.

Btw because you don't agree with something you can't dismiss the people who are and I am not the only one.

Oh no! You won a bet about my dark-side! Now I have seen the errors of my way!

I quite clearly said (since day one) that I wouldn't add poorly thought out theories.

I also said that it's not about not agreeing with the theory or not - and in fact, that's a senseless argument seeing as I have included multiple theories in the list that contradict each other (in which case I can't agree with all of them) - it's about the lack of a coherent theory, one that is well thought out, logically valid, and supported my strong textual, meta-textual, and extra-textual evidence.

Once more. If people believe it's a theory. It's called respect other people's choices and beliefs.

I can understand subjective list, but I don't understand being subjective and act like you are objective.

Really, you need to let go! You don't see me screaming because he didn't add the Sci Fi threads. This thread isn't for everything out there, it would be to bulky...and pretty much useless...if it were!

This is fantastic. I will be keeping it as a point of reference from now on.

Also, if you can find a thread on it, it would be worth adding the popular theory that Jaqen H'ghar was the Alchemist at the beginning of AFFC and has assumed the identity of Pate in Oldtown.

Is this a thread on theories or an argument over what a theory is, or just a poster stating he thinks these are valid theories. The title is and thread are a bit misleading as their are many theories on many topics not listed and multiple theories on multiple things the author states there are no theories on. Which in fact their are.

Theory defined:

The analasis of a set of facts in their relation to eachother

Abstract thought

The general or abstract principles of a body of fact, a science or an art.

An unproved assumption, the theory of conjecture

A hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation

There now we know what theory means and it is very broad.

Nope, not how theories work. I don't get to say "gravity is fake!" then convince three people and suddenly it's a valid theory.

Pretty sure I said I decide, so it's inherently subjective (though really, what isn't), but as per usual with you, you decided not to respond to any of my criticisms, thereby only reinforcing my opinion.

Thanks BB - I'll check it out tomorrow.

I like you thread but that's not actually how theories work, they are much broader than you are assuming by definition. But these are theories you like, but they are not all the the theories on this board. I think some people think you have some authority over what what is a theory or not and are getting confused. This is just your thread about some theories you like or think are well thought out. And you were nice enough to post them so people can read them and access them easily.

Although I am a little confused as to why people are sending you theories to authorize for submission to your thread. What authority do you have exactly over what is and is not a theory? Putting a lot of other people work on one thread was very nice of you. Authorizing theories? I am not so sure I follow that line of thinking.

Again this is just a thread right? Not some site approved authorized theory board that is stating this is the sites supported theories and that you authorize them and people should submit there theories to you for approval. After reading some of the posts that's how it's coming off.

I like you thread but that's not actually how theories work, they are much broader than you are assuming by definition. But these are theories you like, but they are not all the the theories on this board. I think some people think you have some authority over what what is a theory or not and are getting confused. This is just your thread about some theories you like or think are well thought out. And you were nice enough to post them so people can read them and access them easily.

Although I am a little confused as to why people are sending you theories to authorize for submission to your thread. What authority do you have exactly over what is and is not a theory? Putting a lot of other people work on one thread was very nice of you. Authorizing theories? I am not so sure I follow that line of thinking.

Again this is just a thread right? Not some site approved authorized theory board that is stating this is the sites supported theories and that you authorize them and people should submit there theories to you for approval. After reading some of the posts that's how it's coming off.

FFB never stated that this was an objective, comprehensive list of all theories. He's curating theories, not just accumulating everything that's been thrown out there. He laid out the parameters a few times over the course of the thread. They aren't theories he necessarily personally agrees with, and the fact he included contradictory theories reinforces that. He said he was looking for theories that were well-written and supported by the text across a wide range of subjects. Putting everything into the OP would defeat the purpose somewhat.

Archived