Rome Actors on Game of Thrones

Westeros

Lets hope Ray Stevenson doesn't share the same sentiments as James and Kevin. Ray is the top choice by fans for Victarion and he should join his former cast mates from Rome (Tobias and Ciáran.)

I loved Rome and wish it would return or if they could get the movie going again. But I think Kevin McKidd is upset with the fact that he was on a great show with superb actors and now he's reduced to playing the cliche handsome doctor in a glorified soap. I don't blame him for being upset, I would be pissed off too. I like when actors are fans of their work. I'm sure he would respect Game of Thrones if he watched it and spoke to other actors about it.

I always thought Ray Stevenson would have made a good Bronn if made up correctly.

On the OT...no way GoT had anything to do with Rome being cancelled. The timing doesn't line up right.

It had nothing to do, indeed. But Rome got cancelled in 2006 and GoT pre-production started in 2007. I doubt they simply decided to start the show the first day of 2007, they surely had talks for a few months before and people involved with Rome surely heard rumours about a "new series HBO wants to produce". Again, it's probably nothing but some people could have misunderstanding in that way, that HBO decided not to keep their support for Rome and instead, bet for the new production.

OTOH, I would love to see McKidd in GoT, for personal and completely superficial reasons, but isn't he attached to Grey's Anatomy?

It had nothing to do, indeed. But Rome got cancelled in 2006 and GoT pre-production started in 2007. I doubt they simply decided to start the show the first day of 2007, they surely had talks for a few months before and people involved with Rome surely heard rumours about a "new series HBO wants to produce". Again, it's probably nothing but some people could have misunderstanding in that way, that HBO decided not to keep their support for Rome and instead, bet for the new production.

OTOH, I would love to see McKidd in GoT, for personal and completely superficial reasons, but isn't he attached to Grey's Anatomy?

Doesn't Greys shoot a million eps a year? (ok more like 22)

I'm sure if he wanted to do it, and they wanted him, his agent and Greys would make it work.

Rome and Deadwood were both suppose to go longer than

they did. They were victims of the then head of HBO.

He thought both shows were to expensive. HBO is known

for its cheapness where actors and performers are concerned.

I don't blame actors from either show having bitterness at HBO.

That said I don't think Thrones had anything to do with Rome

being cancelled and I imagine Kevin and James are both being

paid higher salaries on their current shows.

I love James and think he would be a perfect Oberyn. He plays

charming rogues well and physically he's slender and not a

big hulking guy. Oberyn is a great showy part and

would make a good showcase for an actor. I also thought James

could have been a good Mance but I think Ciaren will to.

Kevin would make a good Jon Connington and Ray a good Victorin.

Polly Walker is only a few years older than Lena and Nick and Peter

and much younger than Charles Dance so I can no way see her as

Genna. She's also not plump. She might be a good choice for the sexy

nun Tyrion meets in dragons. The character is in her forties though

I know it is diffiicult for some fans to believe a woman over 35 can

be sexy. But I'm guessing GRRM would think she'd be good in the part.

Rome and Deadwood were both suppose to go longer than

they did. They were victims of the then head of HBO.

He thought both shows were to expensive. HBO is known

for its cheapness where actors and performers are concerned.

I don't blame actors from either show having bitterness at HBO.

That said I don't think Thrones had anything to do with Rome

being cancelled and I imagine Kevin and James are both being

paid higher salaries on their current shows.

Huh? Where has it been said that HBO pay their actors poorly? I have never heard this claim made. I'd wager that a show with $50 million+ budget (Rome, Game of Thrones) would pay their actors more than a show like Grey's Anatomy which McKidd is currently on.

Yeah, HBO pays its actors very, very well. It's one of the reasons (along with the prestige) that so many actors want to work for them. In fact, most of The Wire's very large budget ($50 million per season in its last couple of seasons) must have gone on the cast, as they didn't have anything like the set or effects costs of something like GoT and Rome.

As for the timeline thing, Rome's cancellation was announced in June 2006. It was formally announced that HBO had optioned Game of Thrones in January 2007, so they were likely talking about it months before then. The timing still doesn't work out right, but it's tighter than most people realise. The 2007-08 Writer's Strike delayed GoT quite considerably. Without that it may have started a year earlier than it did.

Wasn't HBOs budget for Rome nearly 200 million for both seasons so the actors must surely have been on a good salary. Also i wouldn't say Greys are cheap with their salaries either. I seen an article form a couple of years ago for highest paid actors in television and shows like CSI were giving over 500 000 an episode for the biggest couple of actors something which i doubt even Peter Dinklage is close to

I think Purefoy would leap at a Game of Thrones role if The Following fails to launch. Even if it did irritate him that HBO canned Rome too soon, he's not going to turn out what would likely be a high-paying, short-term performance. Oberyn Martell/"Red Viper" is the role that Purefoy is born to play.

I'm sad to see McKidd is bitter. He'd be a good Jon Connington candidate, particularly since we know he can do the whole "self-righteous prick soldier" role.

OMG you are right he would be perfect as JonCon! So petfect now I will forever picture McKidd as I reread ADwD..

After Deadwood was cancelled one of the actors

said publicly he thought it was because HBO

didn't want to give the actors pay raises.

Chris Rock who had a show on HBO has talked

about them being cheap with performers.

When you see lists of the highest paid actors on

tv they're with maybe a few exceptions like James

Gandolfini actors on network shows. I'm pretty certain

Kevin is making more on a network show especially

a successful one like Greys Anatomy than he ever

did on Rome.

American producers go overseas to save money and

that includes money on actors salaries. The money

poured into Rome was for production not the actors.

Keep in mind to it was a fairly large cast. I'm not saying

they weren't paid decently and probably as well as they

could make on British television but I don't think they

were paid as much as actors on American network tv

get paid.

Archived