Roose Bolton - in for the long haul?

RenlyIsNotRight

The Dreadford is going to fall. The Boltons will eventually be done in the North. The castle may stand but if it does a Bolton will not be Lord there. Roose's actions buried the house. They have been far too much trouble for too long and now is the perfect opportunity to be done with them once and for all.

I'm not saying they won't be done by the end, but they still have some trouble to cause.

Dreadfort still stands. At least one Bolton will survive the battle and return to his seat.

I think the Northern lords are going to tear the Dreadfort down brick by brick. If Roose is to survive he will have to flee to the free cities, he can't stay in the North.

I think the Northern lords are going to tear the Dreadfort down brick by brick. If Roose is to survive he will have to flee to the free cities, he can't stay in the North.

I'm giving him a year, two at most, Dreadfort will do. Besides it's about time wee saw a castle stormed, all of them so far were take by guile.

Roose's cold, cunning, and calculating traits are beginning to fail. once he raised his voice in the Great Hall it was the beginning of the end, He has set himself up to fail. Yea if the battle turns sour for him he might escape, but he has no clue Sansa is in the Vale and why would he join with LF. Roose has no interest in the Vale. The Leech Lord should have never attended the RW because by doing so and returning home it raises suspicions in the view of the Northern people and remaing lords who were still in the North as to how only him made it back, became the new highlord, and the rest of the lords in the south were either killed or are captives - Greatjon. Roose was always a good planner but he just couldn't pass up the opportunity to kill the king, and the Freys are to blame for his downfall too because the wedding got a little more bloodier than expected.

I'm giving him a year, two at most, Dreadfort will do. Besides it's about time wee saw a castle stormed, all of them so far were take by guile.

It would be interesting to get the strategy on bombarding and storming a castle in these books.

Whenever I think about Roose, my stomach drops because I'm reminded of the RW. As a reader, I want Roose to get his comeuppance, and brutally. I'm not sure whether an all out Stannis vs. Roose battle will end him though. He's a bit too devious for open battle, or even a siege (imo). I just don't think his death is going to be because of an all out battle.

If there is something that Roose is not, it's short-termist.

Ramsey might die (although that's also far from being a given), but Roose is always 2 moves ahead of everyone else. The only thing is that GRRM doesn't let us know what his long game objectives are, so we don't really know what game he's playing for. Hence the crackpot theories. But in his case, one of them might be true.

Roose's cold, cunning, and calculating traits are beginning to fail. once he raised his voice in the Great Hall it was the beginning of the end, He has set himself up to fail. Yea if the battle turns sour for him he might escape, but he has no clue Sansa is in the Vale and why would he join with LF. Roose has no interest in the Vale. The Leech Lord should have never attended the RW because by doing so and returning home it raises suspicions in the view of the Northern people and remaing lords who were still in the North as to how only him made it back, became the new highlord, and the rest of the lords in the south were either killed or are captives - Greatjon. Roose was always a good planner but he just couldn't pass up the opportunity to kill the king, and the Freys are to blame for his downfall too because the wedding got a little more bloodier than expected.

Yes. Even though there is no smoking gun that he did anything (unless the Freys rat him out which I have no doubt they will if it comes to it) Roose's sudden good fortune has to be peculiar. Especially since his loss in battle after making a few bad decisions in the field seemed to be a stunning turn of good luck. And that doesn't even mention the GreatJohn and other prisoners from the feast who may have actually SEEN him kill Robb with their own eyes. It would be fitting if one of them walks up to him in the halls of Winterfell and stabs him clean in the heart. I'm not even sure guestrights would apply because Winterfell isn't really his castle.

The thing about roose is that he is rational and seems to prefer to work things out by diplomacy rather than by battles. Tywin considered him a cautious man. He will not risk a battle unless he feels that he has an advantage and is assured of a victory. As long as he retains a signifigant military force and the Dradfort lands and fortress he has these as bargaining chips,. His strategy so far has consisted of keepeing these cards up his sleeve to be used at the right time. I do not see his fundamental strategy changing.

so true for some reason i like him too such a great character and the way how he handles ramsey makes me like hi more. I want him to lose winterfell and survive though because i want him to meet uncat no lie. I also agree he is a better charcter than tywin, but man it makes me wonder if he loved anything since land dustin herself says he is basically emotionless and its all a game to him. Did he love domeric bolton or any woman.

Roose has had some shitty luck since coming to Winterfell, leading to the perilous situation he is in now. But he still has some distinct advantages:

-Troops: even without the Freys, Bolton men are the most numerous at Winterfell (possibly even making up a majority)

-The Iron Throne: Roose is still in the good graces of House Lannister and House Tyrell. While they may be too distracted to help him, it is still a possibility

-Lady Dustin: I believe she is 100% loyal to him (and will only be more so if his bastard dies)

-Manderly: Due to his wound, he had to stay at Winterfell while his men marched out, making him a de facto hostage

-The Iron Throne: Roose is still in the good graces of House Lannister and House Tyrell. While they may be too distracted to help him, it is still a possibility

While I agree with most of your ideas this doesn't convince me. Tywin and possibly Kevan are the only two people who know Roose acted with Tywin's blessing at the Red Wedding and they're both dead. (Tyrion knows too but he's across the sea in Mereen) If the Iron Throne finds out he had anything to do with the Red Wedding (which will likely be the reason the Nothern Lords will give for rebelling) there is no way they can help him. They're already willing to let the Frey's hang out to dry. Helping a co-conspirator will only serve to make them look guilty of being complicit which the people of Westeros already believe. Theirs no way they'd help Roose now. No way they'd risk it.

I'm seriously in my front room alone laughing manically at this, what's wrong with me

Nothing.

It IS hilarious. To the point where I now kinda want to see it even though it's so spiritually contrary to the tone of the series and would compromise the ability to take it seriously.

Probably because Roose's emotionless face would be entirely deadpan the whole time, implying everyone else is odd for NOT having such a practical escape tool at their disposal.

Nothing.

It IS hilarious. To the point where I now kinda want to see it even though it's so spiritually contrary to the tone of the series and would compromise the ability to take it seriously.

Probably because Roose's emotionless face would be entirely deadpan the whole time, implying everyone else is odd for NOT having such a practical escape tool at their disposal.

Darnit, now you got ME laughing.

Archived