Sansa will be too good to pass up for Aegon

Lord Damian

there's a few things I'm not sold on.

First, Edmure's baby is his heir. Period. Sansa is not Edmure's heir, and even if she was it wouldn't matter. Edmure doesn't have the title to Riverrun anymore, Emmon Frey does. Plus, Winterfell isn't hers either. Even assuming everything else works out as you suggest--the Bolton's have Winterfell. Granted, I expect the Manderlys to kick ass and depose them in favor of a Stark (likely, Rickon), but presently, Sansa is heir to absolutely nothing.

Moreover, until and unless Littlefinger marries her off, he's not going to divulge her identity. In other words, without a guarantee, he's not going to risk exposing her. Sure, he could go to KL and try to go for an Aegon-Sansa marriage, but it's not clear that this would help him. Plus, it hurts Littlefinger's chance to claim the Vale through Sansa. Not to mention the fact that Aegon will wait for Dany. Otherwise maybe he will consider Arianne. But a deposed Stark with scattered armies in the frozen ass north? Doubt Aegon would want to bother with that.

Also, why would JonCon convince him to marry a Stark?? Ned ruined him at the battle of the bells--the loss of which is still bitter to him, so I doubt anyone will council him to marry Sansa. And, JonCon doesn't know Littlefinger. He does know Varys though, who has been planning to seat Aegon for awhile. And we know that Varys and Littlefinger aren't exactly pals, so it doesn't make sense that Varys would consider getting into bed with LF a good idea either. He might see the value in it if the north deposes Roose, but even then, it'd unlikely that Varys will push for marriage. Not when the idea of teaming up with Dany still exists.

Well, it is a little late for GRRM to bring noble young ladies up for marriage to a King on the Iron Throne. I suppose Margeary Tyrell will be willing, if she is still alive. Let me ask you, Why would GRRM keep Sansa from being raped and spoiled by, Tyrion, Joff (if he could do it at all), the mob in King's Landing, the Hound, Littlefinger (time may be running out on this one) and hell, Tywin could have married her himself but no, why is she still intact, to marry her to someone very important and not some 5th cousin 6 times removed from sweet Robin. The answer is, to a KING. This will also fulfill Cersei's prophecy.

Well, it is a little late for GRRM to bring noble young ladies up for marriage to a King on the Iron Throne. I suppose Margeary Tyrell will be willing, if she is still alive. Let me ask you, Why would GRRM keep Sansa from being raped and spoiled by, Tyrion, Joff (if he could do it at all), the mob in King's Landing, the Hound, Littlefinger (time may be running out on this one) and hell, Tywin could have married her himself but no, why is she still intact, to marry her to someone very important and not some 5th cousin 6 times removed from sweet Robin. The answer is, to a KING. This will also fulfill Cersei's prophecy.

While it would fulfill Cersei's prophecy, he gains a lot less marrying Sansa then he would marrying someone like Margaery(though I doubt that will happen). As stated before, the Riverlands are in no condition to fight and the North also sustained heavy casualties. Assuming Rickon shows up, or Jon Snow is recognized as king, Sansa wont be the heir to the North.

Are you seriously asking why Sansa hasn't been raped yet, if not to marry Aegon? That's a huge-and somewhat disturbing-leap mate.

It's not an impossible scenario. I considered it for several minutes when I first read the post. However, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon, if it happens at all. If Dany gets to westeros and refuses Aegon, then Sansa would be in the running--maybe. Though Highgarden still brings more to the table (unless Marg loses--which I could totally see--lol). But I could pose the very same question about Arianne. Granted, she's no virgin, but she is still a good candidate--and her role in the story would be clearer, as she has no real purpose right now.

So barring the impediments I mentioned, it might work. And even if one of the Stark boys becomes lord of Winterfell, Sansa could be queen without needing to be heir to anything. The real problem would be the king in the north drama vs her as queen.

Also, in a fight between Dany and Aegon, I have to think the North is going to bow to Dany and her dragons, not Aegon and his sellswords. Frankly, most people would probably side with Dany--they know her and she has freaking dragons. Who wants to incur that wrath? Maybe Jon would fight her and Bran bc they are powerful wargs and will prolly co-opt her dragons. But, the point is--Aegon is unlikely to marry anyone before he chats with his dear old aunt. And once she gets to Westeros, all hell will break loose and this marriage idea will be moot since he'll most likely either marry her (unlikely) or get killed by her--more likely.

Also, in a fight between Dany and Aegon, I have to think the North is going to bow to Dany and her dragons, not Aegon and his sellswords. Frankly, most people would probably side with Dany--they know her and she has freaking dragons. Who wants to incur that wrath? Maybe Jon would fight her and Bran bc they are powerful wargs and will prolly co-opt her dragons. But, the point is--Aegon is unlikely to marry anyone before he chats with his dear old aunt. And once she gets to Westeros, all he'll will break loose and this marriage idea will be moot since he'll most likely either marry her (unlikely) or get killed by her--more likely.

I used to think that Aegon will be killed by Jon Connington who has gone mad by that point to save Dany from mad queen PR but Ser Wun Wun found some foreshadowing that Arya may do it.

IA though he's not going be successful for long.

Sansa is still a virgin, an inspection by the Septas will confirm that the marriage was consumated, therefore, it never happened. Sansa is a more suitable bride for a King. Arianne is, well not as prestine.

OT but this ties into my theories on why she is the fandom bicycle as opposed to someone like Arianne.

Also, Harry's importance is that he would be heir to the Vale--that's a pretty significant title--and she could do some serious damage with those uninjured, fresh armies in the Vale.

Are you seriously asking why Sansa hasn't been raped yet, if not to marry Aegon? That's a huge-and somewhat disturbing-leap mate.

When the Imp passes on a naked woman who has become his lawful wife, then that is signifigant. Sansa has a touch of destiny about her. Tragedy will be there for her in the end but it seems all to convenient for her to not be assaulted yet in this world of GRRM.

I don't think Littlefinger will be willing to commit so early, and Sansa is probably too wary of princes/kings at this point to do anything on her own.

I agree with Wun Wun about Arianne seducing him. The comments of her former lover about Quentyn, seduction being on her mind, and Jon Connington reflecting that Aegon is harder to control since he assumed his new identity all point in that direction.

Edit: Nice catch on the Hedge Knight foreshadowing Rapise!

Also, Harry's importance is that he would be heir to the Vale--that's a pretty significant title--and she could do some serious damage with those uninjured, fresh armies in the Vale.

yes, harry, the mysterious heir. Sweetrobin is not dead yet and who knows if and when that will happen. I have a feeling events will happen quickly regarding Westeros in the next book.

I tend to think whoever marries Aegon will get dragged down with him. Better Arianne than Sansa.

George did not let the Imp ruin her for a GOOD reason folks

Sure, but maybe that reason has more to do with GRRM's goals for Tyrion--not wanting to sour reader opinion on Tyrion (at least at that point in ASOS), which having him rape his child bride certainly would have accomplished (although the fact that he even consented to the marriage in the first place is plenty controversial in of itself)--than his goals for Sansa.

Tragedy will be there for her in the end but it seems all to convenient for her to not be assaulted yet in this world of GRRM.

Why not? She's a kid Stark POV; GRRM isn't going to depict her rape. Is it "all too convenient" that Arya has thus far avoided being raped as well? Robb, Ned and Cat received quick deaths: the Freys waited until after Robb was dead to mutilate him (or rape Cat's corpse, as I assume they did). It's not a coincidence that the rape we do "see" is not of Sansa or Arya, but Sansa's best friend "replacing" Arya. GRRM farms out the really nasty stuff (disfigurement, losing teeth, rape, mutilation) to other young women, not the Stark girls.

I don't think Aegon will marry her purely for political reasons....I think Arianne might play the seductress once again. Jon Connington will probably be against the marriage,

He gives himself what? Two years to seat Rhaegar's son on the throne? Next info he gets from Essos will most likely be that Dany is lost and possibly dead, regardless, she's a world away and he's short on time.

That was the crucial step. Lesser lords might join their cause for fear of harm or hope of gain, but only the Prince of Dorne had the power to defy House Lannister and its allies. "Above all else, we must have Doran Martell."

He'll consent, GRRM is paving the way for it.

Why would GRRM keep Sansa from being raped by Sandor/The Hound? Because he wanted to show the power of their relationship, of Sansa's influence on Sandor, in the Hound's development. Why would GRRM keep Sansa from being raped by the mob in King's Landing? Because the mob might have also killed or injured her, and Robb and Catelyn would have damaged Jaime in retaliation (I think they still had him at that point, though I'm not certain). Why would GRRM keep Tyrion from being raped and spoiled by Tyrion? To show that as tempted as he was (which is deplorable) to consummate his marriage to a scared child, there are some things that Tyrion, unlike his father, would not stoop to doing.

GRRM might have a significant marriage in mind for Sansa that does not involve a probably fake Dragon, and could occur later (presumably after the marriage to Tyrion has been annulled). The last time we saw Sansa, back in AFFC, she wasn't yet 14 years old; plenty of time for Sansa to reach a more sensible marital age (even 16 would be better).

If you are Aegon, Sansa's defacto guardian is the lord protector of the Vale, supreme lord paramount of the Riverlands and this Sansa Stark is really a virgin (George did not let the Imp ruin her for a GOOD reason folks) and the true heir to the entire North (we know Bran and Rickon are alive but no one outside of Manderly, Glover's inner cirlcle does), so she is exactly what Aegon will require. the Sooner her can get the throne, a queen and heir on the way, the better for establishing his dynasty. It may not matter but the riverlands are really Tulley bannermen and Sansa is Edmure's heir (the Frey bitch and that baby do not stand a chance) so that only adds to her "dowery" potential. Sansa, when looking at it like this reminds me of Eleanor of Aquitaine or Elizabeth York. This girl is perfect for Aegon (or whateaver his "REAL" name is)

Only, Sansa is already married and not available. The Vale is just temporary in Littlefinger's clutches since it either belongs to Sweetrobin or Harry the Heir. Sansa has no ties of blood to the Vale. She is Stark - Tully - Whent, in that order. (Which means she could claim Harrenhal by right of blood, actually, as could Arya and the other Stark children.)

So no, I think politically, Sansa is far down the list after Arianne, Dany, Margaery and Asha. She can bring him no money, she has currently no family seat, Stannis will not allow "Lady Lannister" anywhere near Winterfell. The one thing she has a chance at is Riverrun, if poor Edmure and Edmure Jnr should snuff it. Riverrin is however not a Tully stronghold at the moment, so if we are looking at Aegon's prospects in the short term, politically, he gains by far the most to pick either Arianne, Dany or Margaery. All of them come with their own army.

In Westeros, obviously it will be Arianne or Margaery that are the "main" prospects.

Sansa is far down the list, further down than Asha, I'd say, due to the current political situation and her marriage to Tyrion.

Perhaps to spare us readers from seeing a 13 year old girl being raped in a POV chapter? It's not that pleasant to read about, you know. Also, Tyrion and Sandor had their own reasons to not become monsters in that regard, I think. I'm not sure it's sane to just assume that given the chance, any man would rape.

He gives himself what? Two years to seat Rhaegar's son on the throne? Next info he gets from Essos will most likely be that Dany is lost and possibly dead, regardless, she's a world away and he's short on time.

From ADWD:

“Daenerys Targaryen may yet come home one day,” Connington told the Halfmaester. “Aegon must be free to marry her.”

So that's his postion as of now, but yeah, if he hears rumors that she is dead he may reconsider. But Arianne is on her way to meet Aegon right now, so I think any seduction would likely take place before rumors can even begin to trickle into Westeros. In which case JC would certainly be opposed to Arianne getting too "cozy" with Aegon.

I wondered why OP's conviction that Sansa has been spared being raped for a higher purpose sounded familiar:

Last night, I was asked—in so many words—when either Toby or one of the Price girls was finally going to be raped.

Not "if." Not "do you think." But "when," and "finally." Because it is a foregone conclusion, you see, that all women must be raped, especially when they have the gall to run around being protagonists all the damn time. I responded with confusion. The questioner provided a list of scenarios wherein these characters were "more than likely" to encounter sexual violence. These included Verity forgetting to change out of her tango uniform before going on patrol, Toby being cocky, and Sarah walking home from class alone. Yes, even the ambush predator telepath with a "don't notice me" field is inevitably getting raped.

When. Finally. Inevitably.

My response: "None of my protagonists are getting raped. I do not want to write that."

Their response: "I thought you had respect for your work. That's just unrealistic."

From ADWD:

So that's his postion as of now, but yeah, if he hears rumors that she is dead he may reconsider. But Arianne is on her way to meet Aegon right now, so I think any seduction would likely take place before rumors can even begin to trickle into Westeros. In which case JC would certainly be opposed to Arianne getting too "cozy" with Aegon.

If Doran won't declare for Aegon without a marriage he'll also reconsider, I definitely think Arianne will seduce Aegon but you have to consider two Arianne chapters into TWOW she still hasn't met Aegon, the rumours may not be far behind their meeting and coincide with any seduction.

Archived