Gregor Clegane

Alexander Stark

I think Whyte is fine for the role.

Compare how we got to see Conan Stevens playing Gregor as opposed to how we got to see Ian Whyte playing Gregor

Conan- Awesome balls to the walls rage, horse beheading, and brother dueling.

Ian- Getting yelled at by his boss, pointing, and sitting down.

Not Whyte's fault. We haven't seen him "go Gregor" on anyone yet, and I won't judge him until we do.

Compare how we got to see Conan Stevens playing Gregor as opposed to how we got to see Ian Whyte playing Gregor

Not Whyte's fault. We haven't seen him "go Gregor" on anyone yet, and I won't judge him until we do.

Maybe he'll do good, but they will need to give him better armor. Most times he just looked like a skinny tall guy in armor. He looked awkward and his Lannister helmet just looked funny.

I don't think he's going to "go Gregor" unless he's specifically instructed. Watch

. He describes playing Gregor as his favorite role on Game of Thrones and then proceeds to explain to us his acting strategy for his whole two minutes of disappointing screen time. He uses the words "deadpan" and "emotionless" to describe a violent, raging brute. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but this interview really makes me realize Ian Whyte is not cut out for the role of Gregor Clegane; or any other acting role for that matter.

I don't think he's going to "go Gregor" unless he's specifically instructed. Watch

. He describes playing Gregor as his favorite role on Game of Thrones and then proceeds to explain to us his acting strategy for his whole two minutes of disappointing screen time. He uses the words "deadpan" and "emotionless" to describe a violent, raging brute. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but this interview really makes me realize Ian Whyte is not cut out for the role of Gregor Clegane; or any other acting role for that matter.

He says emotion and then adds humanity. That's what he's reffering to. He lacks genine positive human emotions. And that is true. He says that he's a rapist, murderer, child murderer etc ...He understands the character fairly well. He had the scenes with Tywin Lannister who in the show is a character MILES more important than Gregor and its more important to accentuate his menacing presence than Gregor's rage, which didn't happen towards Tywin. The only thing he doesn't have down yet is Gregor's rage and ferocity, but he was not in any scenes that called for it. He hasn't had the chance to show us that side of Gregor. Also, the directors asked of him to play him more deadpaned in that particular scene. Saying that Ian Whyte is not cut out for acting is really far too harsh. The man obviously CAN act.

Maybe he'll do good, but they will need to give him better armor. Most times he just looked like a skinny tall guy in armor. He looked awkward and his Lannister helmet just looked funny.

I don't think it will look realistic for him to walk around Harrenhal in a full jousting armor, especially in the indoor scenes. I agree on the helmet though, as a knight he should wear something more specific for House Clegane.

I don't think it will look realistic for him to walk around Harrenhal in a full jousting armor, especially in the indoor scenes. I agree on the helmet though, as a knight he should wear something more specific for House Clegane.

He doesn't need huge armor. One thing that Mr Whyte is really good at is wearing prosthetic makeup. I reckon that's what they'll use to bulk him up, instead of just putting him in bulky armor.

He doesn't need huge armor. One thing that Mr Whyte is really good at is wearing prosthetic makeup. I reckon that's what they'll use to bulk him up, instead of just putting him in bulky armor.

:agree: Just looking at the different roles he has played, is enough to convince me that he can bulk up using makeup for Mountain without any problems. If he gets the mad and raging Mountain expressions right, we have a fine Gregor Clegane.

Indoors, armor would be weird yes.

However, giving him makeup to look bigger might not work. It's different from the White Walkers, because they are not humans. When you try to make a human, it has to look exactly like a human body. When you make a WW, you can add more white coloring and the texture doesn't have to be perfectly humanlike. It can look "unrealistic" (I don't mean look fake or plastic) because WW are fantasy creatus, if you catch my drift.

Nothing against Ian Whyte, but I'd rather they won't take a risk and get either Conan Stevens back or try to get Nathan Jones. We know they can play vicious bad guys, and they have the natural bulk (especially Nathan Jones, he is also very athletic for a 350 lbs dude) to back it up.

I would have preferred Conan of course to refill his role, he and Rory really look like older and younger brother which sold their brief duel that saved Loras' life so compelling. But this casting is good news to me, because I was dreading seeing the Red Viper fight the second Mountain, the giant stick of Ian Whyte. He was perfect for the White Walker, and I think they should have kept him in that role instead of replacing them with those weird ugly old things that don't care about Sam.

All I can say is, thank the gods that this fight scene will at least look more realistic to what we all had imagined from the books than what could have been, if this hadn't been done. Recasting sucks, but Whyte basically stole the role from Stevens behind his back, as far as I could gather. Everyone hated it, and they had to find someone to make Gregor Clegane at least look more similar to how he is described on paper. Even though this is an adaptation, there have to be some expectations you know the book audience is going to be looking for, and a hulking Mountain is one of them.

Gregor doesn't have a wide array of emotions, nor is a very deeply explored character, but can a man who has never acted before really convey the Mountain properly? I mean they'll probably have to put him in the spotlight for several reasons:

1. He's been recast. Again. Some people will be confused to who is this "new" character.

2. He has a role that's larger than in previous seasons of the show.

3. Fans expect to see more of him, especially now.

• 5 months later...

Yeah, Conan needs to come back. He is most definitely a beast in man-form!

If he doesn't come back though, I would look towards strongmen or professional athletes as they are the only ones with the physique required.

Like this guy, icelandic strongman 207cm tall: http://www.bigdonsboys.com/strength/pages_5_6/images/06_09_hafthor_julius_bjornsson_010.jpg

I know he probably sucks as an actor, but where are you gonna find accomplished actors of that size anyhow?

I called it, didn't I?

Eta: Link apparently broken, but you can clearly see his name in the Url

• 3 months later...

Recasting sucks, but Whyte basically stole the role from Stevens behind his back, as far as I could gather. Everyone hated it, and they had to find someone to make Gregor Clegane at least look more similar to how he is described on paper.

I thought Conan chose the film over the show, thus forcing the recasting on us?

Archived