Is Jon pretty much just a jerk towards` Mel?

JaegrM

Yes, yes, everyone thinks she has some secret motives or her own agenda, but that's not the point of this post.

In aDWD Mel talks about how Jon would never come to her and always made her come to him, and then he'd make her wait outside, and sometimes not allow her entry at all.

The only time he shows any real courtesy towards her is when he needs her, or needs her to give him info.

Good example would be the heads the Weeper returned. He shows courtesy then, but otherwise he basically goes Selyse style on Mel.

haha - no wonder she's crushing on him when you put it that way...

On a more serious note I don't blame him. She is working an agenda and it is hard to ignore that even though you ask to ignore that. If she had no agenda he would not be treating her that way.

Is this the same Mel who appears glamoured as Ygritte for a moment to try and get him into bed?

In aDWD Mel talks about how Jon would never come to her and always made her come to him, and then he'd make her wait outside, and sometimes not allow her entry at all.

Mel feels that what he did to be shrewd at least. He knows she is not a person he would want to be indebted to or in service to.

I think that he is polite but cold as snow... not a jerk.

That too.

I think he's more weary of her than just being a jerk. He's likely not eager to spend any time with her whatsoever and when he does it's straight to business and out the door. Of course this makes Mel think he's a total hottie and makes her try even harder. Reminds me of being a teenager. Nights Watch High School.

I think he sees her as possibly someone else who wants to use him or put him on the wrong side of his men and his duties. She is part of Stannis' entourage so even if she wants him to see her as someone acting with her own agenda, she wont be able to convince him. Also her sloppy self serving interpretations have been noticed by him as well.

Just out of curiosity, how did you expected Jon to behave towards a woman of whom Jon knows nothing about in terms of agenda but that he has witnessed disrespect religions and cultures, humiliate fallen foes and burned men alive? Jon wasn't a jerk as much as he was mistrustful of her, her powers and her motives. And with good reason.

ETA- For those interested Tze made a fantastic analysis on Jon-Melissandre here: http://asoiaf.wester...wd/page__st__20

Post #24

I think she puts him on guard and Jon is a very reserved person so I don't think it's his intention to be a jerk to her, I just think he comes off like that. Also Jon forms opinions of people rather quickly and the one he formed of Mel have not been wrong from what he has been shown.

He was the leader of a brotherhood sworn to never have sex. He had already fucked a wilding. If his "brothers" thought that he maybe took the mysterious hot(see what i did there) foreign woman into his rooms a little to much they might get suspicious.

Brilliant stuff.

Every time he was a jerk towards her I cheered. I can't stand that crazy woman. Anyone who burns people alive needs to get the fuck away from my darling Jon Snow.

It also shows his good judgement that he's not taken in by her seductions and manipulations.

Srsly. Jon's not being a jerk. Jon's being smart.

Like everyone has said already, Jon doesn't trust Mel at all and he is right in doing so.

He has reason to dislike her since she burns people alive which is a very cruel way of execution compared to traditional Northern Beheading.

Also she is a religious fanatic that forces her own religion on other people which Jon knows about and doesn't take kindly too.

Jon acts much more polite to her than most people would if they are in his shoes.

Archived