What are you reading in March?

pat5150

Let me know how you find Hornblower novel please.

I've got the final (completed) Patrick O'Brian Aubrey / Maturin novel on my too read pile, and will probably read it next. I've often thought of reading a few Hornblower books as well, but didn't want to be reading the two series in parallel.

Speaking as a fellow Patrick O'Brian fan, I'm really enjoying the first of the Hornblower novels. All the familiar Napoleonic era Age of Sail elements are there and have a ring of authenticity to them. The characters are more subdued and less colourful than their larger than life counterparts in O'Brian's books but Forester had a knack for sketching out characters in just a few lines and he also had a good ear for dialogue. The prose isn't as dense nor as quasi-archaic as O'Brian's which makes them a lighter, faster read and the action clips along at a fair pace. Although I haven't yet finished the first book, I will definitely be reading the rest. It's obvious to me now why they're held in such high regard.

Also worth looking into are the Alexander Kent (pen-name of Douglas Reeman) Bolitho series if you're looking for more books in the same vein.

Alas, so far nothing I want to read comes out in March. :bawl:

Towering Alex Flinn (May)

The Eternity Cure Julie Kagawa (April)

Revealed P.C. Cast (October)

Fire and Ash Jonathan Maberry (August)

Fierce Melissa Meyer (???)

When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman

I like it a lot and will continue the Eleanor of Aquitaine Series.

While I enjoyed Pillars of the Earth, I find this to be more readable, more casual? I guess. (they cover the same time periods)

What does that mean? I have a Penman on my TBR pile. I thought Pillars of the Earth was very readable, but had lots of other problems.

I think Lions is probably the worst of Kay's books in terms of the lead characters being brilliant at everything they do, although many of his other books have some similar characters they do tend to have a better mix of characters in them.

Hmmm...no one ever told me that. I have only read Lions, partially for that reason. It was just not very impressive to me. Everyone good is perfect and live happily ever after.

I just came across what sounded to me like an interesting fantasy novel. I came across Alif The Unseen by G. Willow Wilson via an Alyssa Rosenberg interview with the author on Think Progress. http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/07/06/511679/alif-the-unseen-author-g-willow-wilson-on-fantasy-in-dictatorships-cross-cultural-understanding-and-the-arab-spring/?mobile=nc

I'm not a big fantasy/scifi reader in general, I might read one genre fiction work every few years, but something about the idea behind this novel intrigues me.

I think I'll start reading it this weekend.

Speaking as a fellow Patrick O'Brian fan, I'm really enjoying the first of the Hornblower novels. All the familiar Napoleonic era Age of Sail elements are there and have a ring of authenticity to them. The characters are more subdued and less colourful than their larger than life counterparts in O'Brian's books but Forester had a knack for sketching out characters in just a few lines and he also had a good ear for dialogue. The prose isn't as dense nor as quasi-archaic as O'Brian's which makes them a lighter, faster read and the action clips along at a fair pace. Although I haven't yet finished the first book, I will definitely be reading the rest. It's obvious to me now why they're held in such high regard.

Also worth looking into are the Alexander Kent (pen-name of Douglas Reeman) Bolitho series if you're looking for more books in the same vein.

Thanks. I'll certainly follow up with the Hornblower novels.

I'll take on board (no pun intended) the tip re Alexander Kent too. I'd seen his stuff in the shops, and thought it may be along the same lines.

I Have Finished Dhalgren. Eight hundred torturous pages and I counted every single one as it went by. Thank goodness that is over. I feel in need of something fluffy and comforting to reward my suffering. :)

I just came across what sounded to me like an interesting fantasy novel. I came across Alif The Unseen by G. Willow Wilson via an Alyssa Rosenberg interview with the author on Think Progress. http://thinkprogress...ring/?mobile=nc

I'm not a big fantasy/scifi reader in general, I might read one genre fiction work every few years, but something about the idea behind this novel intrigues me.

I just came across what sounded to me like an interesting fantasy novel. I came across Alif The Unseen by G. Willow Wilson via an Alyssa Rosenberg interview with the author on Think Progress. http://thinkprogress...ring/?mobile=nc

It's just been long listed for The Orange Prize For Womens Literature. Bit of a coup for a genre peice if it can get shortlisted

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/mar/13/hilary-mantel-womens-prize-for-fiction

Just finished Revelation Space-Alastair Reynolds. Whilst it's impressive stuff and truly mind boggling at times there's too much hard science for my tastes and the rather uninteresting characters at times display all the survival instincts of your average teen in a slasher film.

Finished The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo this month. Was good, enough to keep my interest in returning to the Harry Hole series.

Started ADwD pt. 1.

:stunned:

I think I've seen volumes 48, 62, and 81 of the those movies... oh wait, that might be something else.

:leaving:

I have almost finished Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky.

I have already read Notes from Underground and The Gambler. What do you recommend I read next? What do you think is his best work? Maybe I'll save it for the end.

Archived