The Others invasion

King of Winters

I think the Others might invade Westeros in the first few POVs at the Wall. In Jon's chapter, Borroq told him "they are coming", and I suspect that the magic at the Wall that keeps the Others away might have fallen already with no Stark in Winterfell, the burning of the godswood at Storms End and Jon's murder and possible guest right violation at the Wall (the attack on Wun Wun, although it was done by another guest; maybe that doesn't count). Bran the Builder was involved in all three of those places, and now they have been severely damaged :(

I think the Others might invade Westeros in the first few POVs at the Wall. In Jon's chapter, Borroq told him "they are coming", and I suspect that the magic at the Wall that keeps the Others away might have fallen already with no Stark in Winterfell, the burning of the godswood at Storms End and Jon's murder and possible guest right violation at the Wall (the attack on Wun Wun, although it was done by another guest; maybe that doesn't count). Bran the Builder was involved in all three of those places, and now they have been severely damaged :(

Nope. When CH met with Bran, he still couldn't pass through the Wall yet there were no Starks in WF for a while.

Nope. When CH met with Bran, he still couldn't pass through the Wall yet there were no Starks in WF for a while.

I understand your point, but when Bran crossed the Black Gate the Night's Watch and the Wall were still functioning. What I mean is that out of the three places that are magical and we've been told Bran the Builder was involved in their construction, two of them were down at that time but the Wall was up (even if it had seen better days). What I meant is that in my opinion it is possible that the latest events at the Wall might have affected its magic enough that the Others are from that time onwards capable to cross the magical defenses of the Wall. It is just speculation, though :)

I understand your point, but when Bran crossed the Black Gate the Night's Watch and the Wall were still functioning. What I mean is that out of the three places that are magical and we've been told Bran the Builder was involved in their construction, two of them were down at that time but the Wall was up (even if it had seen better days). What I meant is that in my opinion it is possible that the latest events at the Wall might have affected its magic enough that the Others are from that time onwards capable to cross the magical defenses of the Wall. It is just speculation, though :)

Honestly, I do like your "horcruxes" theory but I don't think the elements you picked are correct. The Betrayal of Jon..yeah maybe. However, the Godswood in Storm's End, Melisandre never had intentions of going there in the first place and besides, she burns all Godswoods she crosses path with (or at least those that are allowed to her). I already mentioned why the Winterfell with Stark can't be that connected to the magic Wall and the guest violation right at the Wall seems rather irrelevant. If it's about Guest Right's breach, then it should be the Red Wedding that is taken into account.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really curious to see when this is going to happen, clearly some magic will hold them back. But maybe the magic will fail and Bran will have to learn how the magic is set up, forcing him to act, maybe through meerca en jojen. With him going inside the body of Hodor, or maybe he has to join. But I guess not because it would be drama for the boy to be left all alone in that lonely cave.

I think the cold Jon feels is the others arriving. I think perhaps the stabbing of the LC may be symbolically that the NW is no longer true.

I think that the Horn of Joramund when blown will cause a giant earthquake which will collapse the wall.

The wall need not collapse for the others to invade. They just need to get across in sufficient numbers to raise all the dead following the battle Stannis and the Boltons will have, plus all the dead that will around when the wildlings avenge Jon Snow's "death".

I can see A Dream Of Spring, ending with the Wall coming down, and we won't actually find out the result of the final war between humans and Others. All the pieces will be in place, we'll have everyone fully aware of the coming conflict,Whoever is on the Throne will have all the Lords fully backing them. A "pro-Others" faction in Westeros will be revealed and defeated, but no final war.

I think the cold Jon feels is the others arriving. I think perhaps the stabbing of the LC may be symbolically that the NW is no longer true.

I think that the Horn of Joramund when blown will cause a giant earthquake which will collapse the wall.

They stabbed Jeor Mormont, too. They probably stabbed quite a numer of Lord Commanders over the years. Seems to be a NW tradition.

I can see A Dream Of Spring, ending with the Wall coming down, and we won't actually find out the result of the final war between humans and Others. All the pieces will be in place, we'll have everyone fully aware of the coming conflict,Whoever is on the Throne will have all the Lords fully backing them. A "pro-Others" faction in Westeros will be revealed and defeated, but no final war.

The simple folk are already starving. What are the lords worth when their followers are too weak too move?

Whoever sits the Throne may have all the Lords backing them that are still alive. But those lords will be severely weakened. So the Iron Throne will be weak, too, not able to protect the country.

Everyone may be aware of the coming conflict. And return home, to await the impending doom.

I forgot about the horn that Sam has. Maybe thats why Jaqen is in Oldtown. It was sounded at the Kingsmoot, but I was thinking that because Daenerys cant be burned, maybe shes the only one who can sound it properly. And then all Hell breaks loose.

Danys can be burned, proved at the end of ADWD. She survived the first fire because of blood magic. The show is why people believe she can't be burnt. Onto the thread though... I highly doubt GRRM would take a climactic moment and put it right at the start of the book along with the battle of Mereen. The invasion will probably start 3/4 of the way through the book with the wall falling at the end of the book. Personally, I buy into the theory of Patchface being the one who lets the Others through. He is already dead and Mel sees "skulls around him with blood on his lips."

possible guest right violation at the Wall (the attack on Wun Wun, although it was done by another guest; maybe that doesn't count).

Guest right only applies to the hosts and his guests. The guests can get pissy with each other as much as they would like.

The others can't invade until it's winter. When the snow reaches all the way to Dorne, that's where you'll find them stopping...probably because Aegon/Dany/Connington/Unsullied/Dragons will be there with armies prepping for battle.

My guess is that the others are already almost to Winterfell, and Stannis is about to find out he isn't the PWWP and magic of R'hllor isn't all about the light after all.

I think the only reason the haven't invaded yet is because they dont have the numbers which would explain why their attacks are always in short bursts. They probably do have the horn and are trying to turn as many as they can before they bring the wall down. Im just interested to find out what their after? I always thought it was weird that Craster was giving them his sons.

The wall, as I see it, symbolizes the arrogance of considering oneself "good" over "evil." This whole series is about the muddled nature or relativism. Almost no characters have been as bad or good as they first seem, and that's the point. The Others are a part of nature just like dragons, COTF, the red priests and all men. Locking them behind the wall and reveling in your glory...that's just hubris. It reminds me of the Sartans in the Weiss & Hickman Death's Gate Cycle. In order to protect the "good," the "evil" is banished...until the evil comes out in everybody. It's the theme of the series.

When the wall comes down, it will represent the violent reintegration of all the races; not just the ones who live in the warm sun.

I have just finished a re-read of Jon and I was really struck by Tormund's behavior as the Wildings were being let through the Wall. Tormund is genuinely nervous about getting everyone through the gate by sunset. He is convinced the WW are right behind them. And as Summer 314 pointed out up thread:

The skinchanger stopped ten yards away. His monster pawed at the mud, snuffling. A light powder of snow covered the boar's humped black back. He gave a snort and lowered his head, and for half a heartbeat Jon thought he was about to charge. To either side of him, his men lowered their spears.

"Brother," Borroq said.

"You'd best go on. We are about to close the gate."

"You do that," Borroq said. "You close it good and tight. They're coming, crow."

That is in Jon's next to last chapter. Then in Jon's last chapter, Ghost and the raven are behaving very oddly. I think the Others are at the Wall and they will breach the Wall within the first half of TWOW. Depending on how the book is structured, they may breach the Wall very early.

I don't see any way around having them breach. How they breach, no clue.

As to their ultimate end, GRRM has said numerous times he's not writing the kind of book where all the good guys get together, vanquish the dark lord, and rule peacefully for 1000 years. I foresee some kind of balance being struck, like the end of the Matrix series.

Not sure how you strike a balance with WW when they eat people. From a certain perspective, though, that's what the Wall did originally. By locking the wildlings on that side of it, the kingdoms of Westeros essentially granted the WW a giant game preserve stocked with "uncivilized" people considered expendable. From that same perspective, Jon has upset the balance by letting the wildlings through the wall.

Archived