Mad Men Season 6: Going the wrong way on a one way street

Rhom

Interesting couple of episodes...

I just want to say that Jon Hamm's acting in this episode was the best I've seen from him ever. He practically didn't have to say any dialogue; the range of his facial expressions throughout the episode's arc pretty much said everything you need to know about this episode... and probably this season... and probably the whole show, for that matter, if the opening credits are any indication of what this show is truly about.

Having re-watched the last episode, I'm feeling more and more like this whole season is really about the total deconstruction (and perhaps destruction) of Don Draper. Or at least, the "illusion" of Don Draper that Dick Whitman has created.

I've been thinking about this a lot over the past few days. How long has Dick Whitman been Don Draper? 20 years or so? Then I thought of Joan and Bob in the waiting room at the hospital, and she mentions Rip Van Winkle. How long was he asleep? 20 years!

Don?

Betty? (Though I don't think she would)

BTW, it's been mentioned before, but I adore Tom & Lorenzo's Mad Style. I feel like I get so much more out of the episodes by reading it (and am so looking for blue, green and red, the woman in black, and now yellow :P)

Hmm. Interesting catch, AG. If Dick Whitman has to come back to life, who do you think it mostly likely will unmask him?

The list so far is: Megan? Pete? Roger? Cooper? ???

Peggy. Megan could be that if they went through a really ugly divorce, but she might also take a hit. Pete's invested in Don being successful Don, and the same goes for Bert Cooper. Roger probably just wouldn't care.

Peggy. Megan could be that if they went through a really ugly divorce, but she might also take a hit. Pete's invested in Don being successful Don, and the same goes for Bert Cooper. Roger probably just wouldn't care.

Does Peggy know right now? I can't remember if this is something she knows about him.

After a crazy week, finally got to see it tonight. I would mainly echo other thoughts over the week. Was uncomfortable with hotel scenes. Thought Ted got the upper hand. Bob much more likable. Etc.

Thought closing the show with RFK and Petes mom saying "Why do they keep shooting everyone?" was good. The social upheaval across the board and in microcosm at the new firm (never did hear the name) seems never ending.

The scenes from next week are never that helpful, but we did get Kenny saying something negetive. Wondering if it was in relationship to the lemon factory he was touring.

IIRC, it takes a couple years before Cheys full failure becomes apparent on that one; so they may be safe for at least this season.

Also, I almost half expected Don to invent "I can't believe it's not butter" during his drunk brainstorming with Ted, only to have Ted shoot it down! :lol:

Summon Blaine spell cast successfully (thanks to Mya).

Hey guys, how's it shaking? Sorry, I've been MIA on the boards due to life and work. I also was out of town last week, so I caught up last night in a very strange double episode binge.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for humoring my request! :lol: considering I learned about the show five years ago from you, it just wast the same without ya!

I've noticed that Don never comes up with any ideas for humorous or clever ads. They're always so deadly serious. Or is it that there just wasn't much of that kind of advertising in that era?

I wonder if that's partly and potentially responsible for Don's downfall in the show overall. Don is just not able to come up with advertising that's hip and clever... everything's a friggin' Oscar nominee with this guy. He starts stoically visualizing the ad, and everyone goes silent and gazes distantly into space for a few moments. But I guess after Vietnam and the turbulence of 1968, people don't want serious and stoic anymore. I can't imagine Don doing memorable yet humorous ads like "Need more Calgon!" or "Hey Mikey! He likes it!" or "Joe Isuzu".

I see those type of ads coming from someone like Peggy or Ginsberg.

They are coming from them - Peggy did the funny headphones ad, and i'm sure there have been other funny ads that I can't remember at the moment. I wonder if Don's ponderously idyllic stuff was more convincing in the 50's/early 60's, especially when he himself was living that suburban-white-picket-fence thing. All the Norman Rockwell imagery he's trying to conjure up is just beginning to look tacky now. (I just finshed reading a book about food in WW2, which has a lot about margarine, (as well as the centrality of consumption and food to the american post war self image) and is kind of relevant.)

So what's really in the syringe? Cocaine? I'm not really up on drugs' effects...

I was curious! I didn't really want to Google "energizing depository" Seemed kind of like speed, reminiscent (but way more dramatic) of when I'd pop an extended release Adderall in college. Most people I've chatted with on coke either get bitchy or fun-loving, not so much uber creative.

We needed a fun episode after all of Don's douchebaggy death spiral.

Now Sally is on drugs?!?? Or the Drapers are being robbed?!!?

Or am I too tired tonight and I just don't understand WTF is going on?!!?

Now Sally is on drugs?!?? Or the Drapers are being robbed?!!?

Or am I too tired tonight and I just don't understand WTF is going on?!!?

Me neither I'm just enjoying the ride. Goooo Peggy! She's so classy. I love how she was nice about the guy's advances but still stuck up for herself.

Who the fuuuuuck is this terrifying woman? If I were Sally I'd be grabbing a knife and calling the cops. RUN SAAAALLY!!!!

Jr. Virgin Pervy Don is hilarious. Thaaaat explains...um, some of it.

Hrmmmmm... The closest thing I think I can compare that to was Betty's trippy experience birthing Gene.

Had some great moments like Ken tap dancing, but my initial thought is that I hated that episode, but that may be a bit strong will have to see if it improves on future viewings.

All I can think of is that they were trippin' on some sort of speedball. That would account for them being able to work all weekend with no sleep.

Uh, yeah... this episode left me feeling like I got a hit of some bad stuff myself. Best line, IMO, was Don's: "Every time we get a car, this place turns into a whorehouse." Well, to Don, EVERYTHING is a whorehouse.

the boy's got some serious mom issues.

ETA: Although, in retrospect, maybe Sally had the best line: "I don't know anything about you" or something to that effect. That really stopped Don in his tracks.

Archived