The Venn diagram of useful, fashionable denim (and other clothes)

Angalin

the fashion is based on faux aristocracy that mocks labor. jeans are traditional work clothes. ripping renders them unfit for duty. it is an advertisement, like greyjoy, that we do not sow. it is similar kids wearing steel-toe boots with no laces. wearers might very well be proletarians, but the point is erase the class origin with clothing.

My steel-toecapped work safety shoes have no laces. But they do have velco fasteners. I'm also the only one in the plant that has this exact style the company had to order them in specially for me. I don't get a choice of footwear like everyone else with normal sized feet. For ref these are size UK 1.

(folding into fashion thread)

As for distressed jeans, someone put a lot of thought into how those rips should be angled and cut while chewing on a the rim of a coffee cup, that being all the food allowed in the design studio. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about this dress, which is a lovely sunshiny yellow (it looks washed out on my screen). Not sure how well yellow works for me... I might try it on with a friend in tow and not under fluorescent lights.

Ixnay on the dress. Very thin fabric and lining, not worth the money. Instead I'm searching for a waterproof coat with hood, as I have three raincoats which are "water resistant" and don't have hoods, ergo don't work for long walks in the rain we've been having. It'd be nice to find waterproof shoes that aren't ugly, too, but the odds on those are long and/or expensive.

Instead I'm searching for a waterproof coat with hood, as I have three raincoats which are "water resistant" and don't have hoods, ergo don't work for long walks in the rain we've been having.

If you are looking for something basic, LL Bean has a few raincoats and jackets, all with hoods.

North Face has some nice jackets. http://www.dicksspor...WOMENSOUTERWEAR-

Are you looking for a lightweight coat? I'm assuming so, for spring/summer. What color do you like?

I'm in a shopping mood tonight, and I'm afraid I've done too much for myself lately. :ohwell:

ETA: Can't beat the price on this one - http://www.burlingto...-116080069.aspx

It's a simple style, no frills.

If you like blue, this one's lightweight, hooded, and cute - and on sale! http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/jones-new-york-coat-hooded-packable-anorak?ID=771180&CategoryID=269#fn=COAT_STYLE%3DHooded%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D17

This last one is my favorite, actually. :P

Last year, when I went to Titancon, I went hunting for a good waterproof jacket, because I was told the year before it rained heavily on the Sunday tour. I went to Mountain Equipment Co-op and bought a waterproof jacket that has turned out very well. Here is this year's version: http://www.mec.ca/pr...=10 50093 50797 It has a hood and pockets that zip up, including a large, interior breast level zip-up pocket. They are likely clearing last year's colours for half price.

I recall that someone mentioned, in a predecessor thread, that there is a web site where someone sells shoes that are basically end-of-lines, so that if you have a favourite shoe model that you can't find anymore you might find it there.

I have a Joseph Seibel sandal that I'd love to buy again. Does anyone remember the web site? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to the talented Aoife, I can now share my ideas for my outfit for a wedding in September, and hopefully get some advice. As discussed in other threads, I tend to panic about these things, and seeing as it's my boyfriend's sister who is getting married, there's just a bit of pressure to look good.

So, without further ado. I've created a Photobucket account, so hopefully these links work! I already had this peacock feather blazer, which I love, and have decided to wear that this time, so I'm basing my outfit around that. The flash on my phone makes the green look brighter than it is.

I've been looking at a white/beige top or dress with some kind of design on it, and haven't found much, but I have found this dress, which I guess I'd wear with skin-coloured tights? Or this top, which looks better on the model than it does in this picture. My personal favourite though, is this. I think it would work the best, it's simple and elegant, and I think it would be flattering on me, more so than the others.

So my question is - black trousers or black leggings? I have such a hard time finding trousers that fit me, as I'm 5ft and size 14-16, and if they do fit they're usually unflattering. Leggings are my safety net, and will most likely end up wearing them if I despair with trying to find trousers. I don't do high heels, so it'll be pumps, and I'd like to try to find some in the same colours as the blazer, or with a similar print. And accessories? I could find some bangles or something to match those colours, maybe? I live in leggings, shorts and t-shirts, so I'm pretty lost here :laugh:

Edit: Gods-damned links don't work. Trying to fix.

Edit 2: Should work now.

Tesco, believe it or not! Last year I think, maybe the year before. I was laying in bed last night thinking about what I might already have, and remembered that I bought this and wore it like once, maybe twice. I do love it, it needs to come out more often!

Great links, Drac. I think I already said I like the blazer thingy! I guess any of the blouses you linked would fit.

Instead of trousers or leggings, have you given thought to the possibility of wearing a skirt? Knee-length or so. Maybe this would be easier to find, as you mention you have trouble finding a pair of trousers that would fit.

Just realised, with the enlarged picture of my favourite shirt, that I'm fairly sure I can see the mannequin's nipples. A camisole underneath might be needed :lol:

Maybe, or just a little harder bra? Padded or whatever you call it in English.

Finally, just an observation, cause obviously I do not know enough about relationships in your family, it is interesting that you note you will be in the centre of attention too if your boyfriend's sister is getting married, because I would not think this is such a close relationship - but then, I have only been to weddings where mostly married family members and their kids were invited, so what to I know. :P

Great links, Drac. I think I already said I like the blazer thingy! I guess any of the blouses you linked would fit.

Instead of trousers or leggings, have you given thought to the possibility of wearing a skirt? Knee-length or so. Maybe this would be easier to find, as you mention you have trouble finding a pair of trousers that would fit.

Ehh, I don't actually own a skirt. And I'd have to wear tights with it. I couldn't just have bare legs :o

Maybe, or just a little harder bra? Padded or whatever you call it in English.

Finally, just an observation, cause obviously I do not know enough about relationships in your family, it is interesting that you note you will be in the centre of attention too if your boyfriend's sister is getting married, because I would not think this is such a close relationship - but then, I have only been to weddings where mostly married family members and their kids were invited, so what to I know. :P

Not centre of attention, but more people will be looking at me as 'oh, this is the new girlfriend, look at her compared to the old one' kinda thing. I get on really well with his sister too, so she'll no doubt want me in the pictures, and knowing her she'll want a bleddy 'cute' one of me and le boyfriend too. So I have to look nice. Also, I want to look nice, for once. I always seem to be in old shirts and work clothes at the moment ;)

Ehh, I don't actually own a skirt. And I'd have to wear tights with it. I couldn't just have bare legs :o

Of course tights. Bare legs only go when it is really hot, I am not sure how warm it will probably be, but tights seem a good idea. Plus, always an extra pair - those nasty things like to tear too quickly! (Or at least nail polish). :P

Not centre of attention, but more people will be looking at me as 'oh, this is the new girlfriend, look at her compared to the old one' kinda thing. I get on really well with his sister too, so she'll no doubt want me in the pictures, and knowing her she'll want a bleddy 'cute' one of me and le boyfriend too. So I have to look nice. Also, I want to look nice, for once. I always seem to be in old shirts and work clothes at the moment ;)

Oh, I understand that. I am also of the opinion that whatever makes one comfortable is what makes them look prettiest too, but sometimes the social environment just calls for something more formal. :)

Also, is this the thread to show off my pretty new dress? I usually only buy just the clothes that I need and am certain I will wear, but this one was an exception - the last one they had in this size, it had to be taken from the mannequin in the window! :P I like it very much.

Also, is this the thread to show off my pretty new dress? I usually only buy just the clothes that I need and am certain I will wear, but this one was an exception - the last one they had in this size, it had to be taken from the mannequin in the window! :P I like it very much.

Very pretty dress!! I really need to buy more dresses that aren't completely ~goffik~

Very pretty dress!! I really need to buy more dresses that aren't completely ~goffik~

Thanks. I do hope I find opportunities to wear it. :P

Excuse me, but what is goffik? A weird spelling for gothic?

Archived