The Venn diagram of useful, fashionable denim (and other clothes)

Angalin

I can get away with ankle pants - I just order a Miss size instead of a Petite. :P Generally, it's very difficult to get a nice, summer-weight pair of pants that's not a crop. And I look horrific in crops. :eek:

Won't someone make lightweight pants in colors?? Please!

ETA: And not Alfred Dunner, okay? ;)

Won't someone make lightweight pants in colors?? Please!

ETA: And not Alfred Dunner, okay? ;)

Agreed. And Alfred Dunner is horrible. Geriatric elastic waist horrible.

And what is with all the printed pants? They hurt my eyes!!

I want this dress very badly, if only to ogle it in the closet.

The Gap has quite a few "skimmer" jeans, not all of which have prints. Some pretty bright colours, though. (Link is to the Canadian site, you might have to click through.)

Very Twenties sexy. :thumbsup:

I know skinny jeans (and pants) are in right now, but I just can't wear them without feeling ridiculous. If I were built like Gwyneth Paltrow, I'd rock them all day long, but with my height and hips, NO WAY. I generally end up in shorts all summer. it would just be nice to have a pair of bright blue lightweight slacks. I got a silk poncho and they would look lovely with it. (I tried lime green, but it was way too much color.)

At season end last year I picked up a pair of Rosner pants, a brand I had never heard of. The pants are an off white linen with very large images of fruit (lemons, limes, oranges, cherries, on branches and sliced). I know, sounds weird, but they fit beautifully and are very light weight, great for hot summer days. The only thing is they are not skinny. They look a bit like these pants in slide 2, but ankle length.

Here is Amazon UK with a selection of Rosner jeans.

I actually went looking for this thread to post this website for Dannijo jewelry, which apparently is a hot name in costume jewelry. I'm almost sorry I found the site, after seeing this gorgeous stuff, since I think it's expensive. I haven't checked prices yet, but it's sold at a very exclusive department store in Canada.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually went looking for this thread to post this website for Dannijo jewelry, which apparently is a hot name in costume jewelry. I'm almost sorry I found the site, after seeing this gorgeous stuff, since I think it's expensive. I haven't checked prices yet, but it's sold at a very exclusive department store in Canada.

Holts? No, it won't be cheap then.

Nice boots! I guess you found something to do in Omaha after all. ;)

Thinking about this dress, which is a lovely sunshiny yellow (it looks washed out on my screen). Not sure how well yellow works for me... I might try it on with a friend in tow and not under fluorescent lights.

At the AGM of Berkshire Hathaway there's a large display area of products and companies owned by BH. Many have discounted product you can buy. Justin Boots are owned by BH, and boots and belts were available at a discount. :) As was Fruit of the Loom underwear and t-shirts. And Dairy Queen ice cream bars. And other stuff, nothing at a great discount, but a bit reduced. And See's candies, undiscounted. However, the sapphire stud earrings I bought were supposedly nicely discounted. I walked past a woman trying to decide which $1.25 M diamond ring (a huge rock) to buy...(eta - not at the AGM, but at this jewellery store BH owns, called Borsheim's).

I've got a bit of spring fever and have recently acquired a few new pairs of flats in different colors, a couple of pairs of Springy-looking ankle pants (in Misses instead of Petite to foil the too short look).

I got a bright blue dress for a recent wedding instead of the standard black. Spring is in the air!

Oh! And I got a pink polka-dot blazer from Talbots on a whim. http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi30730&rootCategory=cat70008&catId=cat80008&sortKey=Default&section=Regular&conceptIdUnderSale=cat70008

My sister is just going out to meet her friends and she is wearing ragged, homeless people jeans. Apparently she paid 250$ for that crap cause of the brand and its very "cool" and "fashionable" (???)

My question is: why pay good money for something that makes you look like a bum and I can easily use a kitchen knife to rip a hole in my normal jeans!!! I can then sell them for 200 bucks?? Or am I just out of touch? (sister is 24 and works,not a 12 year girl)

If one of your friends jumps off a bridge, you want to follow.

Also, people think because you pay too much for something it must be better. It's conspicious consumption, just as ancient native american warriors would burn their prized possessions to show contempt for their enemies, or the fools who throw a weeks pay away to "make it rain" at the strip-club.

I'd sell her some of my distressed jeans for $20, and I think we could work a deal out on some distressed Carhartt jackets and shirts too.

Fashion is not about utility but about image.

This.

Also, why would anyone pay $250 for any pair of jeans? The ripped ones probably took significantly more time to make than unripped ones.

EDIT: I love my ripped/patched jeans, but mine got the rips and patches the old fashioned way. The ones that last that long are the most comfortable, otherwise they would have been thrown out a long time ago.

My sister is just going out to meet her friends and she is wearing ragged, homeless people jeans. Apparently she paid 250$ for that crap cause of the brand and its very "cool" and "fashionable" (???)

My question is: why pay good money for something that makes you look like a bum and I can easily use a kitchen knife to rip a hole in my normal jeans!!! I can then sell them for 200 bucks?? Or am I just out of touch? (sister is 24 and works,not a 12 year girl)

You answered your own question...it's fashionable.

I'd sell her some of my distressed jeans for $20, and I think we could work a deal out on some distressed Carhartt jackets and shirts too.

And this quote even shows that...the jeans aren't "ripped"...they're "distressed".

This.

Also, why would anyone pay $250 for any pair of jeans? The ripped ones probably took significantly more time to make than unripped ones.

It's not really a whole lot more time. There was actually an episode of How It's Made that showed how they mess up the jeans and, not surprisingly, it's done in bulk. the only part that was manual was how they use an acid spray to create unique wear patterns on the legs. It's basically spray, run them under a scuffer and then throw a big pile of them in a mass washing machine with lots of I want to say volcanic rock to beat them up.

the fashion is based on faux aristocracy that mocks labor. jeans are traditional work clothes. ripping renders them unfit for duty. it is an advertisement, like greyjoy, that we do not sow. it is similar kids wearing steel-toe boots with no laces. wearers might very well be proletarians, but the point is erase the class origin with clothing.

Archived