For readers of Star Wars EU

First of My Name

Yes. I don't know why, I love Jacen, Jaina, Anakin and Luke and adore Ben and Mara but Han and Leia for me is a bit meh :dunno: .

I think that there are much more interesting eras than the movies era. For example I would love to know more about the Great Schism, about the pre-Republic era and the old Sith wars. I don't think I should even mention that I am interested in Legacy era.

Now, which cultures, species are you interested in? I mean Twi'leks, Rataka, Hutt etc.

There aren't any species I could name, but for cultures... the Mandalorians, definitely. Their view on life and family fascinate me. What are yours?

Another question: what is your favorite battle in the books/comics? I love the Coruscant battle at the YV war, Ganner's stand at the World-Well, the Second Battle of Fondor (LOTF), the battle of Nar Shaddaa (Hutt Gambit), Jacen's duel with Mara, to name a few.

I liked Traviss' Lotf too.

:eek: Ah Traviss. Not many writers are hated enough to have their books dubbed "Travissties". Her inexplicable Jedi-bashing,Fett-fawning aside, she's passable but I don't mind that she's gone.

Darth Plagueis, mostly because it heavily centres on Palpatine, who is by far my favourite character in the whole saga.

Hm. YMMV. IIRC it focused too much on Palpatine, at the expense of Plagueis,so it ended up as some filler for the pre-TPM crowd. I came in expecting Darth Bane:Plageuis Edition and got The Life And Times Of Palpatine. Karpyshyn may wank like no other man, but he is capable of taking a single Sith Lord who cannot be discovered due to canon and writing a story about their journey and challenges but I suppose he wasn't fighting the natural tendency of the EU to swing towards movie characters take hold.

There aren't any species I could name, but for cultures... the Mandalorians, definitely. Their view on life and family fascinate me. What are yours?

Another question: what is your favorite battle in the books/comics? I love the Coruscant battle at the YV war, Ganner's stand at the World-Well, the Second Battle of Fondor (LOTF), the battle of Nar Shaddaa (Hutt Gambit), Jacen's duel with Mara, to name a few.

I can't choose one battle but my fav are:

Battle of Tenupe during the Swarm War.

Vindication/ Lucien vs Zayne vs Haazen.

Jacen's battle with Onimi.

Cade's and co battle at the Temple of the Sith.

Cade's and co battle on Had Abbadon.

Sith's attack on the Hidden temple (RIP Nat)

Battle of Coruscant/Krayt's duel with Cade.

Mission to Myrkr..

Jacen vs Mara Jade.

Caedus vs Jaina.

Battle of Hapes.

Skywalkers vs Abeloth.

Species: I am interested in Hapan (obviously), Miraluka, Diathims, Echani, Twi'leks, Arkanian, Arkanian offshoot especially Sephi, Neti, Nagai and Melodie. Also I would like to know more about hybrids. I know it's weird.

I am especially interested in Hapan culture & Echani culture.

:eek: Ah Traviss. Not many writers are hated enough to have their books dubbed "Travissties". Her inexplicable Jedi-bashing,Fett-fawning aside, she's passable but I don't mind that she's gone.

I like the LotF series and I find her books interesting. I loved Sacrifice and I enjoyed Revelation. I don't say that she is the best writter of the series but I liked her books.

Caedus vs Jaina.

I'll throw in Caedus vs. Jaina Part 1, if only because of it's meta hilarity. The previous book was..well,lets be polite and say heavy on the Mandos and their supposed skill. What does Denning do? He has Jacen take them apart. Yes, I am a bit of a spiteful bastard, but no one gets to be that cool.

Now I really want to reread that entire series.Caedus/Jacen was a badass, no matter what other problems the series or the progression of the Solo kids had.

From everything I've read so far, the new movies are throwing the entire post Ep 6 EU out. So don't get your hopes up.

So..the entire canon system is fucked? The ultra-nerdy side of me is crying because of what this does to the SW vs. ST debates. The merely-nerdy side of me is crying anyway because canon is God. Fuck.

I never understood why the Jedi bashing made every so upset. It's not like the Jedi are portrayed that well to begin with.

It's because the Jedi-bashing was both terrible and tied to the Mando-fawning and of course, being done by Traviss, which means moderation is not a thing. I mean, I've loathed the NJO and their weakness and the OJO for their rigidity (though I've come around and come to the conclusion that they had it right the first time, Anakin should never have been trained) at points, but she just goes over the fucking top.

There was a huge review that summarized it, it's not just dredging up shit like the Clone Wars to slam "modern" Jedi,it's turning them into weaklings to further enhance the profiles of the Mandos and to a lesser extent her pet non-Force Sensitives like:

(apparently Jaina Solo, War Hero crawls into a ball and cries when a Mando comes at her), having her mouthpieces tell us that the correct path for Jedi is to simply not use the Force, having Jaina go to Fett to learn how to kill Jedi when Luke fucking Skywalker is sitting right next to her, some random security guard somehow bypassing the Force powers and common sense of one of the most powerful Sith Lords in the time period, etc.Turning Jacen's swan song into a story about Mando'a'ade'blah'blahdeblah

It just goes on and on, far past the point that I can just say that it's the characters saying it. Especially since Traviss herself has jumped on people about this and made her position clear (though she has a point). And this is just from one book. I hear that she had a Jedi protect a clone from other Jedi defending themselves against Order 66. I never read that book so I don't know, but that sort of WTFery sounds exactly like her.

But I don't like Jacen murdering for Mandos just for that. It's one thing to bash Jedi for their moral failings, but really, they are one of the most numerous badass acts in the SW universe. I'd rather have them win than some upjumped, Mando, mercenary trash whose screentime is far disproportionate to my interest and only exceeded by their huge fucking egos. I don't like them, I particularly don't like Traviss, therefore it's fun to see them both taken down a peg.

And yes, the cannon is fucked.

Shit, now we're exactly like Star Trek fans. Their attempts to level the field will finally pay off. I'm really more annoyed by this than I should be.

I suppose it might be a good thing in some ways, if we are not overly focused on maintaining canon Lucas or any other film maker can no longer basically invalidate the work of an author and force them to either rewrite or abandon their series so things like Traviss leaving wouldn't happen again.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from, even if I don't agree with all of it.

What gets on my nerves is the people who think of Jedi as some sort of group of super infallible Jesus figures and freak out when its even mildly suggested they did wrong.

Also, people who think Mando wank originated with Travis. They obviously did not grow up in the 80s. I STILL don't understand why Fett was so popular.

Yes I said Bantha but not Skywalker, Rawk. His real name was Nat Skywalker and he was a Jedi knight but he left the order and took the name Bantha Rawk.

That's even funnier :rofl: Now I have this imagine of a bantha crossed with Animal from the Muppets going to town on a drum set.

It's because the Jedi-bashing was both terrible and tied to the Mando-fawning and of course, being done by Traviss, which means moderation is not a thing. I mean, I've loathed the NJO and their weakness and the OJO for their rigidity (though I've come around and come to the conclusion that they had it right the first time, Anakin should never have been trained) at points, but she just goes over the fucking top.

There was a huge review that summarized it, it's not just dredging up shit like the Clone Wars to slam "modern" Jedi,it's turning them into weaklings to further enhance the profiles of the Mandos and to a lesser extent her pet non-Force Sensitives like:

(apparently Jaina Solo, War Hero crawls into a ball and cries when a Mando comes at her), having her mouthpieces tell us that the correct path for Jedi is to simply not use the Force, having Jaina go to Fett to learn how to kill Jedi when Luke fucking Skywalker is sitting right next to her, some random security guard somehow bypassing the Force powers and common sense of one of the most powerful Sith Lords in the time period, etc.Turning Jacen's swan song into a story about Mando'a'ade'blah'blahdeblah

It just goes on and on, far past the point that I can just say that it's the characters saying it. Especially since Traviss herself has jumped on people about this and made her position clear (though she has a point). And this is just from one book. I hear that she had a Jedi protect a clone from other Jedi defending themselves against Order 66. I never read that book so I don't know, but that sort of WTFery sounds exactly like her.

But I don't like Jacen murdering for Mandos just for that. It's one thing to bash Jedi for their moral failings, but really, they are one of the most numerous badass acts in the SW universe. I'd rather have them win than some upjumped, Mando, mercenary trash whose screentime is far disproportionate to my interest and only exceeded by their huge fucking egos. I don't like them, I particularly don't like Traviss, therefore it's fun to see them both taken down a peg.

Shit, now we're exactly like Star Trek fans. Their attempts to level the field will finally pay off. I'm really more annoyed by this than I should be.

I suppose it might be a good thing in some ways, if we are not overly focused on maintaining canon Lucas or any other film maker can no longer basically not only invalidate the work of an author and force them to either rewrite or abandon their series so things like Traviss leaving wouldn't happen again.

I feel like this should be used to revive the fanfiction thread, cause "write story to bash the group I hate while turning the group I like into Gods" is one of the classic purposes of Fanfiction.

My only real experience with the Clone Commandos was the Republic Commando video game. Still hoping for a sequel for that one.

I am lost in translation. Could you explain it?

There is no guarantee that Episode VII, the new movie in production now for 2015, will acknowledge any of the post-Return of the Jedi comics, novels or computer games as canon. The Expanded Universe and everything in it, from Thrawn to the Yuuzhan Vong to the Legacy comics 100 years later, is in danger of simply being deleted.

That is not confirmed at all, but an assumption by the fanbase. If JJ Abrams or the writers want to do something, they're probably not going to care than a 10-year-old novel says they can't do it.

Hmm, I thought it had been confirmed bt the screenwriter at one point, but he's off the project now anyway, so who knows what's going on.

I;d be very suprised if they acknowledged any of it, honestly. Can you imagine how long the opening crawl would be if they had to explain all that? :P

I'll dig around later tonight see if I can find that quote, Maybe I'm insane.

Edit: I know Lucas said a few years ago if they ever did make more then the novels would be thrown out. But he also said they wouldn't make more. So,..Lucas.

I think it's likely they will mine the EU for more ideas, like they did for the prequels (that's where Coruscant and a couple of minor characters came from, after all), but the EU itelf will not be canon but relegated to an alternate universe explanation. So it's possible that Luke and Han/Leia's kids will show up, maybe even with the same names, but their stories won't be the same as in the books. Thrawn could show up (32 years after Jedi rather than 5), but the story would be very different to Zahn's books etc.

ETA: Rumour is that there'll be a major announcement on 30 October. Possibly some casting news and I wouldn't be surprised if they revealed the film's name and release date.

It's actually something that will probably result in me not watching the films, or at least not going to see them in theaters, which is frustrating, as I identified heavily as a SW fan for a long time. I haven't even read a SW book in several years (I guess I kind of kept up on the Caedus storyline, and then dropped it after?), but inviolate canon is pretty essential to my ability to suspend disbelief.

Yeah, but I was able to rationalize that away. In the end, Boba Fett is a pretty fucking insignificant character - he just turns up a fair bit and is kind of cool. Erasing entire wars, entire sets of main characters, etc. is the kind of revamping that kind of leaves me unable to enjoy the universe.

I think I have a weird outlook on this, though.

Archived