Best/Worst Named Characters

Rhymes with Chic

Best:

Almost everything from Storm Lands.

Baratheon, Dondarrion, Estermont, Seaworth, Tarth.. Seriously good combinations with good house names.

As one of most prominent names, Brandon Stark

Tully male names are good.

Honorable mention to house names of regions of Riverlands, Vale

House Velaryon, sounds as good as Targeryan for a small house

Worst:

Daenerys titles, Daârio-why not simply Dario

Most Houses from Westerlands, Crownlands, seriously they had status like filler-in and afterthoughts.

degeneric try at exotic names from Slaver's Bay and onward to East.

Northern household altho not soundy also has really good thoughts about the names, but nothing extravagant, I think they are also spot on.

Best:

Beric Dondarrion

Howland Reed

Renly Baratheon

Olenna Redwyne

Jason Mallister

Brandon Stark

Dacey Mormont

Tormond Giantsbane

Worst names:

Euron. How is it pronounced if it's not "urine"?

Aenys. Speaks for itself.

Sansa.

The Slaver's Bay names. If you have to resort to an overuse of x's, z's, q's and apostrophes, the names suck. Try different ones.

At the extreme other end of the creativity spectrum, having virtually all of the Targaryen names have an "ae" in them is annoying. Again, try something else.

I can't stand Alayayayayayaya

Me neither. It's a stupid name.

Love-Aegon, Arya, Cersei, and Bran (which I just heard is Welsh for Raven?)

Hate- Joffrey (before even getting to know the character, my mind read this and decided he was a tool)

-Shireen

Most hate-Boros Blount

Favorite Wolf Name-Shaggy Dog

Dragon-Balerion/Meraxes

Also I will never listen to the audiobooks. From what I've heard about the name pronunciations, I don't think I can take it.

ETA: I'm actually one of the idiots who didn't realise it was Damp-hair until after I'd finished the series, so one thing I can say for it is that Damp-hair beats the "Damfair" pronunciation I was originally using

And here I though I was the only one who first thought is was Dam-phair! It's almost most as bad as talking half a chapter to realize Eddard and Ned were the same person.

The only names I really can't stand are:

• The Slavers Bay names
  • People who have the same name and I half to figure out which one is being talked about
  • Two people with similar names (I'm looking at you, Greyjoys)
  • People with names I can't ever remember how they're pronounced (still looking at you, Greyjoys)

And here I though I was the only one who first thought is was Dam-phair! It's almost most as bad as talking half a chapter to realize Eddard and Ned were the same person.

The only names I really can't stand are:

• The Slavers Bay names
  • People who have the same name and I half to figure out which one is being talked about
  • Two people with similar names (I'm looking at you, Greyjoys)
  • People with names I can't ever remember how they're pronounced (still looking at you, Greyjoys)

the only Greyjoy names that are similar seem to be Aeron and Euron. Unless you're talking about the -on at the end of all their names, say for Asha.

sandor reminds me of a pirate, i really would have prefered another name for the hound, but maybe GRRM gave him the name because good old saber swinging, perrot-on-his-shoulder sandor is deep deep inside a good guy?

and i know tormund sounds like torment in english, but when i read it, i see the two german words tor and mund that mean gate and mouth, and gatemouth is kind of a strange name :D but hey, he talks a lot, so maybe that's the true meaning ;)

Best:

Stannis Baratheon

Beric Dondarrion

Roose Bolton

Worst:

Zorro Zohan Ducksauce

Qozzazzazz zo Zaggazzazzaz (all Ghiscari names)

Mance Rayder (his best bros must be called Howes Burgler, Benq Robbar and Kartheef)

The worst names you mentioned made me lol.

For me Stannis Baratheon remains top (sorry if I'm Stanning too much xD) because of how well both Stannis and Baratheon suit each other and how one sounds strong and noble (Baratheon) and how one sounds angry and tough (Stannis). But, the minor characters in the series also have loads of great names.

Jason Mallister is a great name. Marq Piper is cool, even Walder Frey sound sood. Cletus Yronwood is fucking awesome.

Jason Mallister is a great name. Marq Piper is cool, even Walder Frey sound sood. Cletus Yronwood is fucking awesome.

I never did like Cletus, reminds me of Cletus off the Simpsons. I really can't think of many names I dislike. Even the Slaver's Bay one's I don't think are as awful as some people think, even if they are a bit rough on the tongue.

best in-universe: Daemon Blackfyre, simply what you'd expect from the name

worst: lollys (i don't know but i always picture her with a lollipop)

Spell Illyrio backwards... "Oirylli"

Now, say "Oirylli" five times fast.

Sounds like "Oh, really?" doesn't it?

you must have dwelt on that name for a long time, haven't you? :lol:

Most the targaryen names are awesome. Aegon, Visenya, Maekar, Rhaegar, etc.

The original three targaryen dragons names were even cooler.

Just figured I'd point this out: Arys the Mad King. Barristan the Bold. Tywin the...Tywin. The Mance. Lord Lamprey.

Worst names: The countless Robb's/Rob's. Robert Baratheon is the only Rob we need. Doran. Not sure if this helps the character or hinders it, but Sansa Stark has a really whiny ring to it. Renly.

Archived