Best/Worst Named Characters

Rhymes with Chic

Baratheon is a gorgeous and powerful surname which just rolls off the tongue. Stannis and Robert fit so perfectly in front of it, although Renly not so much, in my opinion.

Lannister I also believe is quite a nice surname although I'm not too keen on the Lannisters' forenames, any of them.

Ned Stark has a simple beauty to it and suits the character perfectly. He's formidable Lord Eddard Stark, but the fact that his friends and loved ones call him Ned, which is more playful and warm, complements his role as father and husband. I think he's the most perfectly named character. Plus, "The Ned". I quite like how Catelyn is shortened to Cat as well.

Varys sounds awesome, as does Shae, Clegane (not Sandor or Gregor, though) and Melisandre.

Worst:

Any of the Targaryen names. I'm sorry but they just sound so cheesy and superfluous. Viserys is maybe the exception.

Margaery (it's an old woman's name)

Jaqen H'ghar is ridiculous.

The slavers' names, as many have said.

Daario Naharis

in accordance with how they fit their character...best

victarion/ melisandre/ stannis/ renly/ tywin/ tyrion/ cersei/ aegon

worst: definitely jaime, dont know what the hell GRRM was thinking there, also any of the "jons" (although jon snow kinda works...gives him a sense of anonymity)

in accordance with how they fit their character...best

victarion/ melisandre/ stannis/ renly/ tywin/ tyrion/ cersei/ aegon

worst: definitely jaime, dont know what the hell GRRM was thinking there, also any of the "jons" (although jon snow kinda works...gives him a sense of anonymity)

maybe that Jaime would be a perfect name for a smug, arrogant and egocentric lordling? And besides a good contrast to his nickname?

Tormund is a germanic/norse name meaning 'Thor's guardian', or 'Protector of Thor'. It is composed of the name of the deity Thor (or Donar, Tor, etc.) and the norse word 'mundr' which means protector or guardian.

didn't know that, i would say it's more up north/ scandinavian, but could as well be old german, the language has changed helluvalot since back then

didn't know that, i would say it's more up north/ scandinavian, but could as well be old german, the language has changed helluvalot since back then

Scandinavian and german have the same basic roots, though many words have changed over time. Norse and old german was a lot closer, but ultimately most words of the languages stem from the same roots.

Scandinavian and german have the same basic roots, though many words have changed over time. Norse and old german was a lot closer, but ultimately most words of the languages stem from the same roots.

yeah i know, but by having all the small tribes there were still many different dialects in the big germanic area in the middle ages and even today there are so many different ones, so i would say it was more from the north, but hey, i don't have a proof here, so may it be

but i really would like to know how GRRM picks his names, just btw

One of my favs for a name is The Enormity That Rides.......courtesy of The Red Viper of Dorne.

I do love the combo of many great names given to us by GRRM, combined with his amazing ability to mix them with nicknames.

What beats The Kingslayer, The Sword of the Morning, The Bastard of Bolton??? Oh, their real names equal the nicknames, and put them alltogether and we have lots of perfection.

I just love the extra step from name and nickname that Oberyn gives us for Ser Gregor with The Enormity That Rides. It makes me laugh everytime I reread it.

With my name and nickname appreciation, I'd have to give the title for best combo name/nickname to Tormand Giantsbane and his many 'styles.' :bowdown:

Not from the books but Orell as has been mentioned elsewhere is similar to the Russian for eagle (often written orel in the Latin alphabet) which is the animal he wargs.

I also like Stannis's pet names for his foes - Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come.

Archived