Best/Worst Named Characters

Rhymes with Chic

Not much love for the Dothraki? Maybe because they make things either too simplistic (Drogo), too hard to pronounce when reading (Jhiqui), or they just repeat names with an end: Rheago, Jhago, Rakharo.

But the prefix of Khal makes it all better, IMO.

Worst names: Barristan, Joffrey, Jaqen.

Best:

Stannis Baratheon

Beric Dondarrion

Roose Bolton

Worst:

Zorro Zohan Ducksauce

Qozzazzazz zo Zaggazzazzaz (all Ghiscari names)

Mance Rayder (his best bros must be called Howes Burgler, Benq Robbar and Kartheef)

The Ghiscari/Meerenese are just an incredibly unsympathetic group of humans, or planetosians, or whatever. Their names suck, they are confusing, they are a slave-culture...

Names from the Vale and from Dorne are generally pretty awesome, and I do agree with a lot of posters that Baratheon is a great surname, along with awesome words. "Hear Me Roar"? stfu. "Ours is the Fury"? Im looking for the fastest way to get the hell out of your way.

Annoying caveat - the way Mel says "Baratheon" to Gendry on the TV show. Crappy.

Great:

Shaggydog and Nymeria (i love the name Shaggydog...Rickon is cool because of it...seriously...Lady and Summer? Shaggydog rules!)

Jon Connington: It sounds Shakespearian

Theon Greyjoy: Names do not make one great, fab name, what a douche....

Hot Pie: Just because

"The Mountain That Rides"

Ellaria Sand

Actually i think that the bastards get the best surnames: Sand, Storm, Snow....Rivers

Both Davos Seaworth and "The Onion Knight"

Brynden "The Blackfish" Tully

Daenerys Targaryen

Sansa: simple but sweet sounding, you could actually name a kid that IRL.

Shagwell: Sorry, being British i think he's got a great name, although possibly he missed his calling...I kept wanting him to say something like "my mother named me after my father..." or just the austin powers-esque version "Shagwell's my name, Shagwell my reputation)

Terrible:

Joffrey....What was she thinking?

Walder/Walda: Most of the Freys lack imagination, Roslin and Olyvar being the exception.

Wylla

Daario: Does his sellsword company also play Vegas? Was he in the Chippendales before he joined the Second Sons or whoever it was?

Euron : Sounds like something you'd put on a nasty rash....

Quentyn: No wonder the poor kid got fried...no legendary romantic hero was ever called Quentin....

Rennifer and Aurane : sound like they should be girls

Ygritte: least attractive woman's name ever...or at least since Wylla or Walda.

Qorgyle: Exactly how am i supposed to pronounce that? (Kworgle?)

the cheesiest names have to be Bronn and Mance Rayder.

Seriously the complementary character to Tyrion the "brain" is someone whose name is pronounced "brawn"

And a member of the free-folk (eMANCipated people) who is also the leader of those same Wildling Raiders just happens to be named Mance Rayder.

GRRM should have just named Jon Snow "Ryan Snow"

I would say br + on as on bond but that probably doesn't help if you say bawnd.

Quentyn: No wonder the poor kid got fried...no legendary romantic hero was ever called Quentin....

Walter Scott 'Quentin Durwood' explores the conflict between realism and chivalry according to wiki. I don't know is Quentin got fried too.

Khal Drogo sounds fine, but Drogo the Dragon??? Come on! Not only sounds like a drug apology, sounds plain stupid. Viseryon is nasty too.

Munda, Aemon, Urrion do not send a pretty picture to my mind. Ygritte sounds too french for me, and Daario was ok until some poster made the eau the toilette coment.

The ones that rock:

Olenna Redwyne

Daenerys and all her cool titles

Rhaegar

Alayne Stone

Elia (only after the: say her naaame!!)

Oberyn "The Red Viper" Martell

Jon Connington

Cat of the Cannals

Hizdahr (sounds sexy)

Baratheon is an awesome last name

Ashara and Arthur Dayne

and please, how come no one said the best name ever???

HODOR!!!! :bowdown:

Archived