Best/Worst Named Characters

Rhymes with Chic

• 2 months later...

Best:

Asha and Victarion Greyjoy, Beric Dondarrion, Roose Bolton, Nymeria Sand, Anders Yronwood, Maege Mormont, Baelor Blacktyde, Melisandre

Worst:

Euron (In my head I end up pronouncing it like 'urine'), Nimble Dick (ew), and anyone named Walda (It just sounds gross to me)

Aenys Frey

Yeah.

Could you think of a more perfect name for a Frey though? I mean if that had been Walder's name that would have been too perfect.

I can't believe no ones said Bloodraven. I can't believe I forgot Bloodraven!

BloodRaven! By far the best nickname in the books!

:bowdown:

Coolest name for the coolest character there is:

A single white dragon announced the presence of the King's Hand, Lord Brynden Rivers.

Bloodraven himself had come to Whitewalls.

I think it makes no sense for Tywin to name his sons like this, but it made sense for GRRM to name them Jaime and Tyrion. First Jaime: the first thing that introduce him to readers is pushing Bran and "The things I do for love" His love for Cercei is what defines him until book three at least, and in French "j'aime"= I love. As for Tyrion, he believes and makes us believe that he's not like his father, he hates him... but as the story progress we realise that he's the "true" son of Tywin, and his name is just another evidence.

I like Cercei's name, it's perfect for her: Cercei= Circe, the witch who killed her husband and transformed her enemies into pigs (boars?). I really like Targaryen names too.

I like all the Bastard names (Snow, Waters, Sand, Stone..) they're simple and straight to the point.

Overall, I think GRRM did a really good job naming the characters. He really brings out a different culture in the names and unique aspect to the books unlike others.

Best- Tyrion, Arya, Rhaegar, Lyanna, Ashara, Eddard and Cersei.

Worst- Samwell (makes me thing of Bakewell tarts), Aenys (enough said) and Essos names.

Best for me: Catelyn, Oberyn, Melisandre (god, that sounds sexy, IDK why) and Targaryen with Baratheon for royal houses.

Worst: Slaver's Bay. Everyone there. Also: Walda, Jaime (which I innitially read, the way it is pronnounced in Spanish.), Rhaego, Mirri Maz Duur.

Honorable mention to Xaro, pronnounced in a GoT parody as Zorro Xohan Blacksauce.

Archived