Best/Worst Named Characters

Rhymes with Chic

Shagga, son of Dolf. Hilarious and awesome.

I agree with what's already been mentioned too. Dondarrion, Baratheon etc. Targaryen's have some really cool ones too.

Some of my personal faves are Tormund Giantbane and his plethora of 'nicknames', and Victarion Greyjoy - Lord Reaver, Iron Captain. etc.

Honorable mention goes to; Edrick Snowbeard, IIRC he was one of the old Kings in the North.

ETA: The old King beyond the Wall, Bloodbeard, and Baelor Breakspear. Both worth a mention.

sandor reminds me of a pirate, i really would have prefered another name for the hound, but maybe GRRM gave him the name because good old saber swinging, perrot-on-his-shoulder sandor is deep deep inside a good guy?

and i know tormund sounds like torment in english, but when i read it, i see the two german words tor and mund that mean gate and mouth, and gatemouth is kind of a strange name :D but hey, he talks a lot, so maybe that's the true meaning ;)

I took Tormund as something to do with Thor (Donar).

Most I would have mentioned are already mentioned but there is one name in the book that rang in my head for a long time. I could not help myself repeat it out loud, sometimes fast sometimes slow. It is not a character name, it is the name of the river in Slaver's Bay.

Skahazadhan. But I prefer calling it SkaSHIStazadhaaaan.

Worst: All fool names. Moon Boy, Patchface, BUTTERBUMPS???

I didn't like Cersei when I first read the books because it was too obvious a reference to Greek mythology. Now I can't imagine any other name for her.

Shireen drives me nuts. It doesn't seem to suit Stannis and his wife. Too cutesy and girly. Doesn't seem like them. I don't know, maybe it's me.

Archived