Books or Show first?

John Milner

lol - what an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. Here, of all places.

These forums are absolutely filled with "asking random people on the internet". Look at the thread titles in this section alone. 8 of the 20 on the first page are questions.

You silly billy :)

It is a different type of question to ask "Who will be king in the end?" than "What should I do?". The first one is intended to start a discussion of a literary work. The second one is asking unknown people to influence one's acting based on a decision that one should do himself IMO.

Are you feeling a little uptight ? Relax man.

First, I am not a man, second, personal attacks are completely unnecessary.

I'd imagine the 'problem with that' is that booking are freaking massive and it's a pretty daunting task to anyone starting out at the start of the series.

I'd also imagine this person has a life, outside of reading books, so it might feel like it could take years to finish them.. It's pretty normal to question that kind of commitment i'd say.

John Milner - My answer is watch the first 2 series first. Then read ALL of the books (what I did).. Then watch the 3rd series, hell there might even be a 4th series by the time you finish them.

Enjoy them and don't rush them, as when you're done you'll only be pissed waiting for TWOW x

I honestly do not see a problem with the books taking some time (years is a terrible exaggeration, btw) to read. If anything, it makes the enjoyment of them last longer. If you see the books as a commitment rather than an enjoyable way to spend your free time, then I suppose I understand how you feel. But the length of the books should never be a reason not to read them - every book in English, regardless of how many pages it has, only still has 26 letters, so if you are able to read one page, you are able to read them all.

OP, if you have not seen it enough, read the books first. The completely objective argument for this is, reading helps develop one's imagination more than watching TV - it makes you to draw your own pictures, voices etc. in your head instead of having them handed to you on screen.

I would definitely say books first, if only to get your own idea of the characters without being influenced by the actors. For some reason it's a really big deal for me, others might disagree.

Also, since there are so many different places and characters, the beginning of the story can feel quite chaotic. While reading you can always turn back a few pages or check the character list, while in the tv show you have to deal with new names AND faces.

It is a different type of question to ask "Who will be king in the end?" than "What should I do?". The first one is intended to start a discussion of a literary work. The second one is asking unknown people to influence one's acting based on a decision that one should do himself IMO.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it personally. Asking people who will have had the same experience as you, which is the best route to choose. That way you can make an informed decision. I see it all over these boards with not many people complaining.

First, I am not a man, second, personal attacks are completely unnecessary.

First.. Wasn't referring to you as an actual physical male human. Second. Wasn't meant as a personal attack. I do apologise.

I honestly do not see a problem with the books taking some time (years is a terrible exaggeration, btw) to read. If anything, it makes the enjoyment of them last longer. If you see the books as a commitment rather than an enjoyable way to spend your free time, then I suppose I understand how you feel. But the length of the books should never be a reason not to read them - every book in English, regardless of how many pages it has, only still has 26 letters, so if you are able to read one page, you are able to read them all.

Fair enough. Was just trying to see it from the OPs point of view and to figure their motivation for asking the question so i could help out.

Each to their own I guess :)

OP, if you have not seen it enough, read the books first. The completely objective argument for this is, reading helps develop one's imagination more than watching TV - it makes you to draw your own pictures, voices etc. in your head instead of having them handed to you on screen.

Thank you for all the great input you've all given me! I really appreciate it!

My motivation for asking this of you all is because in the past I have read books & then watched the shows/movies & found the show/movies to be better than the books (though this is rare, usually books are much better). The reverse is also true. I have seen shows/movies based on books & later found the books to be better. Since I am a newbie & have no experience with this particular series in either format, I was merely seeking the opinions of those of you who know both formats much better than myself.

I am reading the books first, though after each book I might watch the corresponding season of the HBO series (assuming I can rent them). So far, I am about half finished with GoT (I'm on chapter 35-36 or something like that) it is a very good book & I am glad I am reading it.

I'm only asking because in the past I have read book(s) then watched the show/movie(s) & found the show/movies to be better than the book(s). The reverse is also true. I have seen a show/movie based on a book & later found the book(s) to be better. Since I am a newbie & have no experience with this particular series in either format, I was merely seeking the opinions of those of you who know both formats much better than myself.

No problem.

Well, in my experience, books are almost always a better enjoyment than movies.

I also recommend you to try to not read the forums (apart from the Still reading part) until you have read all the books in case you wish to remain unspoiled.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

well im have watched the show but i have started reading the books im reading the prequels first because i want to understand the background and pretty much everything so im reading the the hedge knight now then the sworn sword then the mystery night then im going to start reading the series of books

Lots of good points and opinions in this thread.

Positives about the show: Imagery...and some really wonderful acting. The costume design is outstanding and it really takes you to Martin's world with the visuals.

That being said, the books do visuals in a whole other way, and so much more. George describes everyone, and even the banners, flags, and family crests. You can "see" these things when you read. And for the most part he is so "historically accurate" with his own world's history, that it is almost like the history actually exists. Which makes the characters real, their predicament real, and even some of the fantasy elements seem real. The show in no way covers all of it, and how could they, in 10 short hours per season?

Now for the bad, and I don't even think they are bad things for everyone (personally I enjoyed what many may believe to be a negative thing). The books are VAST. There are a CRAP TON of characters. It can be overwhelming. The POV changes every chapter. As the books go by there are more and more stories to follow, but the magical part is that their stories are all masterfully interwoven. But it can be daunting. And another thing to realize, is that these books are so complex, that if you think reading the books once is going to be a bit of work, then imagine yourself wanting to read them again once you have read them all. There is a lot of content, and you won't catch everything at once. If you've been a part of this series and forums long enough, you know the truth of how complex the stories are. George puts in so many twists and turns and hidden nuances, that there are countless theories that can be found in these threads that have people captivated.

The show is shorter, condensed, and lacks some of the finer details (and even cuts out some favorite secondary characters). It is a different medium of entertainment, and that is to be expected. But if you want the full story, read the books.

My overall opinion: If you read the books first, you don't ruin the show. It's much easier to sit through the show for an hour (times 10 per season) and anticipate how they will portray the things you have read, than it is watching the show first, and then sitting through hundreds of pages of the books when you already know the punch line. Both are possible, but I think watching the show kills some of the "magic" of the books.

My advice is to at least read the first book, THEN watch the first HBO season. If you enjoyed how it felt to do that, continue the process. But honestly, I'd read them ALL first.

Good luck, I envy your new found journey.

EDIT: Oh, and there are also the Dunk and Egg novellas to hold you over while you wait to read the next books or watch the next season of HBO's GoT. The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, and the Mystery Knight are all very good. And they take place well before the events in GoT, and as far as my brain remembers, they don't spoil anything.

My motivation for asking this of you all is because in the past I have read books & then watched the shows/movies & found the show/movies to be better than the books (though this is rare, usually books are much better). The reverse is also true. I have seen shows/movies based on books & later found the books to be better. Since I am a newbie & have no experience with this particular series in either format, I was merely seeking the opinions of those of you who know both formats much better than myself.

I am reading the books first, though after each book I might watch the corresponding season of the HBO series (assuming I can rent them). So far, I am about half finished with GoT (I'm on chapter 35-36 or something like that) it is a very good book & I am glad I am reading it.

Don't watch the series immediately after finishing the corresponding book. Read a few chapters ahead at least. The second season for example ends in book 3's first chapter and season 4 will have ~5 chapters from books 4 and 5 so you need to be careful in order not to get spoiled.

I saw the show first.

I'll freely admit that I didn't really know who GRRM was prior to the show, other than in a vague I'd saw the books in Waterstones way. I was house- and dog- sitting for my mum and she'd decided to tape some stuff for me to watch while I was there - GoT being one of them. She'd recorded the 1st 6 episodes (Sky Atlantic was doing a marathon of them at the time), i watched them, loved them and then discovered it was based on a series of books, so I bought them online. I read all four before ADwD was released.

Would I have gotten more out of it if I'd read the books first? I think I would have as the books are much richer than what we see on TV - lets face it, there are some things that just don't translate well onto tv, no matter how hard the writers try. But, it didn't happen that way, so there's not much I can do about it now. Does it mean I don't enjoy the show? Not at all.

I watched the T.V show then read the books.

Personally I would recommend it thats way as 99% of the actors cast in the various parts are great so you get to imagine them when reading the books and basically just get extra scenes or more detail with them.

Sure their are some visual differences from books to T.V transition, but for the most part you still imagine the actors when reading I find and its great.

• 3 weeks later...

I started out by watching the shows. In December 2013 I re-watched all episodes again & couldn’t believe how many details became clearer the 2nd time around. I decided if re-watching the shows helped so much that I had to read the books. I asked several GOT addicts which book to start with and they all advised me to start with 1st book, GOT. I moaned & groaned & tried to plead my case but all agreed start at beginning. I am so glad I listened to others for once in my life J I finished GOT (800 pgs) in 2 ½ weeks. The reading was done in the evenings & weekends as I work a 40+ hr job. The book has filled in so many holes. However, I can say I think the reason I enjoyed the book so much was because of the HBO series. I had pictures in my mind of characters & events. Without a point of reference I don’t think I would’ve been able to keep up with all the characters without the visual in my head from the series.

I can only relate my experience. I had never read any of the books or seen the TV series until May of 2013. I just happened to catch one of the early episodes from Season 3 and was hooked. Picking up the TV series in the beginning of the third season left me with a lot of questions so I went back and watched the earlier episodes. While I thoroughly enjoyed the TV series, it left me wanting more information about the world GRRM created so I read the books. Since May of 2013, I have now watched all three seasons of the TV series twice and read all five books twice and some chapters three or four times. I have started rereading one character's POV straight through and going back and reading another character's POV. Each time I pick it up I find something new.

Although I watched the series before I read the books, I believe it would have been better to read the books first. There is so much more detail to the story in the books. Also during my first reading at times I was somewhat confused in parts where the show differed from the books. I would be reading along and think one thing was going to happen when it did not and something else happened and that threw me a bit. I think I would be better prepared for divergences in the storylines between the books and the show if I knew the books before watching the show. I would also enjoy the twists and turns of the TV show more. That is why I cannot wait for this season. It will be my first since having read all the books. April cannot come fast enough.

I would recommend reading the books first solely on the fact that there are so many characters and so many story lines that it will give you a head start when you watch the shows. Also, there is so much more explanation of the characters' motivations and such in the books so you won't be left scratching your head and wondering Why the heck did he/she do THAT?? I have to admit that for much of the first season, I was totally lost. Of course, I'm not known for paying a lot of attention to the TV anyway...

Go for the books. I'll always recommend to read the original format if you have the choice. In that case it is GRRM's writtings.

That said, if you can't wait to watch the TV show, perhaps you should start the first volume A Game Of Throne, and then start watching episodes, slowly but surely, always keeping a leg up with the books. It could work but I warn you it's addictive. ;)

As for me, I discovered the show before the book series, circumstances being as they were. There was a rebroadcast of the show on TV and having heard how good the show was, I went into it. After season 3, I purchased all the books available up to A Dance With Dragons. For months now I can't take my eyes off the pages and I am now in the middle of A Feast For Crows. I'll be experiencing season 4 of the show with prior knowledges for the first time, so it will be a plus.

Enjoy!

Archived