Would you ever......

TheRedStag

HIGH-MAY! Its the Spanish name for James. Its rather common in Hispanic areas.

Estanislau? Hmmm... In my state, we has Stanislaus County. (Pronounced "Stannis-Laws" or "Stannis-Lao" depending on who you ask.)

Close. I know it's splitting hairs, but it's High-meh.

I wanted my children to have literary themed names, but my husband vetoed all my favorite names. Ironically, his pick for our son's name was Robert. I vetoed it. Since then I have become a fan of the ASOIAF series. If we have another boy maybe I will let him think he won and call him "Robb". I also like Sansa for a girl, but it's unlikely I could get my husband to agree.

If I have kids, I'd name the girls Arya (fairly common, my cousin's called Arya), and maybe Arianne.

For boys ... Brandon, Brynden and Rickon seem alright, but I wouldn't name my kids those. Jon's cool too, but extremely common.

Actually most if not ALL the names used are pretyy common already and Martin has just varied the peling and also tried to spell them as if soken with regional accents.

Eddard is simply Edward and Edrik is a common name in many places. Ricard is Richard or Ricardo. Jon is John, Johan Jean etc

Robb is Rob. Brandon and Brynden are both quite common well before GoT

Walder is Walter (a bery common name in the past)

Catelyn is common and is Lyssa. Margaery is just Marguerite or Margaret and Jeyne is obviously Jane

Arya spelled Aria would raise no eyebrows as it means song.

Jaime was extremely common 40 years ago spelled Jaimie and is just a variant of James.

Joffrey is simply Geoffrey or Jeffrey and Tommen is a variant of Thomas.

So parents can choose GoT names without risk of being weird in any way.

Even Stannis is not so weird when you think of Stanly or Stanislav.

Rhaegar might be over the top.

I would name my son Stannis, in honor of the king.

Lol you cannot be serious.

I like the names Arya and Daenerys, if my girlfriend and I didn't already have names picked out I would consider those as an option.

Speaking of naming puppies...my dog is named Arya and my foster dog is named Sansa. My bearded dragon is Daenerys. My next male dog will be named Sandor, but I might actually save that for an actual son. Depends on how the book character turns out. ^_^ I like how it sounds a little more masculine to me than Xander or Zander.

From literature, I have also used:

-Lord of the Rings: Brego (rabbit), Strider (dog), Gandalf (rat)

-Harry Potter: Fawkes (my avatar), Lily (dog), Minerva, Hermione (rats)

-Watchmen: Walter (cat), Rorschach (rat)

Well I intend to adopt so it's not an issue I'll face anyway... but I do like George's spellings. I could definitely see myself giving a daughter Jeyne or Myrcella for a middle name.

Just here to say that this is one of the more clever profile names I have seen :thumbsup:

The real question is, will unwritten further action affect the future connotation of the name for you? What if Arya becomes a dark and horrible character? Or any character for that matter. I'd be afraid to name children after any of GRRM's characters yet. Who knows, with his plot twists and slow publication process, your favorite character might end up flaying Starks with Roose Bolton, and you won't know it till it's too late.

The real question is, will unwritten further action affect the future connotation of the name for you? What if Arya becomes a dark and horrible character? Or any character for that matter. I'd be afraid to name children after any of GRRM's characters yet. Who knows, with his plot twists and slow publication process, your favorite character might end up flaying Starks with Roose Bolton, and you won't know it till it's too late.

A good point, also the reason why I chose to go with Stannis, hes the type of guy were you know he wont fuck up. Also, he made the nicknames ser stupid, and lord too fat. So yeah, that's a safe choice for a kid.

Close one bro, I was worried about consequences for a minute there.

As well you should have been broseph. But its all good lion, you have earned my respect.

A good point, also the reason why I chose to go with Stannis, hes the type of guy were you know he wont fuck up. Also, he made the nicknames ser stupid, and lord too fat. So yeah, that's a safe choice for a kid.

As well you should have been broseph. But its all good lion, you have earned my respect.

:cheers:

you know as long as the characters don't turn out to be childmolesters than I couldn't care less. Most characters, even the most likeable have already done horrible things by now, so I don't think my opinion would really change. I mean I like the names Victarion and Tywin, but they did some fucked up shit already.

HIGH-MAY! Its the Spanish name for James. Its rather common in Hispanic areas.

You're half-right. It's writen Jaime. If you try to explain to an American/English person how to pronounce it, though, it does sound like "High-May". In Portuguese it actually sounds more like "Jay-Me".

Estanislau? Hmmm... In my state, we has Stanislaus County. (Pronounced "Stannis-Laws" or "Stannis-Lao" depending on who you ask.)

"Stannis-Lao" would be close to the Brazilian pronounciantion.

Archived