A Thread About Knitting or Something

Morpheus

I see the knitting show as a dumbed down "Cliffnotes" version of the arts and crafts books that spawned it. It spends all of it's time on one pattern and completely ignores the vast background onto which it is being stitched. I know the general reaction to my opinion is to say "hey buddy relax, it's a tv show BASED on a series of books, enjoy it for what it is". The angry knitting nerd inside me refuses to listen to reason, and mourns what could have been if HBO's A Stitching of Thrones was actually A Song of Arts and Crafts.

Also, writing in knitting code is hard.

My sister has been recounting the stitches to me since I haven't been able to catch it on TV.

It's fun to watch her face light up as I explain how the threads all weave together between what I've known and what she has seen.

One thing that occurred to me today - of course those of us who read the patterns know what the final piece of knitwear will look like, but for people new to knitting, the rose design in particular looks quite misleading, in fact the rose and the lion are looking quite comfortable together and I wonder if latecomers are predicting a terrible rose-lion alliance, with Marge's ambitions turning her into an evil person?

Also, because I didn't pay attention to any of the wool-gathering before the knitting started, does anyone know what size this current piece of knitwear will be? Are we talking full red snake designs and exits through the Moon Door, or do we expect that to be appearing on the next garment?

Also, because I didn't pay attention to any of the wool-gathering before the knitting started, does anyone know what size this current piece of knitwear will be? Are we talking full red snake designs and exits through the Moon Door, or do we expect that to be appearing on the next garment?

this particular garment should be around 2/3 of the blue design with the funeral on the front. it should end just after the reddish wedding themed pattern

so here's the big issue for me. i think this tapestry is badly organized. i think even with the scenes as woven, the tapestry could be made world's better just by changing the order.

currently, i'm thinking about the dragon part of the tapestry and how its been handled. over the past three, weavings.

in the first weaving, we had three dragon scenes,

one with the dragon on a boat, one with the dragon meeting slavers, and one with the dragon meeting an old knight.

now the first leads into the second but the third is completely unrelated.

the second weaving featured no scenes with dragons

the third will feature the conclusion of the storyline with the slavers.

this boggles my mind.

it would have been better for the the first weaving to feature the scene with the old knight, and end with boarding a ship. then the second could still have no dragon scenes. then the third could have the boat scene, then the intro to the slavers, then the conclusion to the slavers at the end of the the third weaving. problem, path, obstacles, solution.

or do it the other way round. feature the whole slaver story in the first weaving. then move the knight scene to the second or third. that could work as well. but leaving the dragon mid decision for two episodes while also featuring her in a unrelated story that could have happened any time? why?

Sometimes you have to re-read the pattern instructions, then keep knitting till you see how it works out.

Often you cant see the joining stitches, but you can work out where they must be as the garment progresses.

As long as it looks right at the end.

I'm so glad we chose knitting not cooking!

I find it absolutely fitting that we come up with this thread this week, and tonight's sewing show included the mention of the Mereneese knot...

I'm just saying...

I thought that was a funny in joke too. I wonder how much longer until we see Pod blamed for something on this knitting show. That'd be awesome.

The quilt square with the dead horses was weird, not least of all because of "Always the artists," as if a mutialated equine art installation is exactly what one expects to see in that situation. Can't you just imagine these frosty beast stopping to arrange this piece just so?

I blame Pod for contributing to the decline of the prostitute economy with his mad sex god skillz. Denying cash for Pod peen is not a model for sustainability. Hay, pOd, think about the ladies and their bastard children next time you practice your tantric arts.

I blame Pod for contributing to the decline of the prostitute economy with his mad sex god skillz. Denying cash for Pod peen is not a model for sustainability. Hay, pOd, think about the ladies and their bastard children next time you practice your tantric arts.

Or maybe Pod spent his yarn too fast to justify any for of monetary payment. ;)

Archived