A Thread About Knitting or Something

Morpheus

From a suggestion by AP

SPOILERS for all things knitting and stuff

(by the by, I wish we could have a GoT thread here in entertainment so that I didn't have to subject myself to the inanity of the floob up there)

Start one. Just use a code word. make it a thread about knitting or something.

see you there.

This is a really excellent idea. Why don't we do it? Is it not allowed?

I like the idea too.

I don't know if the mods will squash this, but this is refuge to talk about "that" show in the entetainment forum.

I enjoyed the first two pieces. The new additions to the tapestry have come off well, especially QoTand Thoros. The Reeds and Ramsay look promising. I was a little shocked by Cat's confession but I think it can work without being "character assassination".

That's pretty hilarious. Be warned, i am going to use this thread to bitch about KNITTING. A lot.

If the mods could find it in their hearts to let us be here, that would be super nice of em.

i'd love to talk about knitting, with two caveats.

1. we don't constantly talk about how our present knitting projects don't match the original design

2. we accept that people may have criticisms of our current knitting projects that have nothing to do with how closely it matches the sample kit. no knee jerk reactions to each and every critique.

our knitting can be applauded and criticized on its own merits

I can never get my knots right.... All tangled.

It's kind of like one time I was watching a ... knitting show. They were basing it on a template, but the template was off sometimes. The thing was, after watching for, I don't know -- let's pick a random number -- 22 episodes, I'm starting to like the revised template better than the original. The changes make the lines less tangled. And the wait between installments is less erratic.

Great thread! :thumbsup: I love knitting!

I hate sewing and I refuse to do it, but knitting is alright I guess.

Brienne vs Jaime felt pretty flat. Especially after watching Vikings afterwards. It's just like, psh, gaw, keh? Everything else was fine, I don't understand "character assassination" either. Actually that's prolly my favorite Cat scene thus far. Not a fan of Farley or Cat in general but she was very convincing. I was like awwwww it's okay sad eyes don't be sad.

Thoros was the highlight for me, I really loved the melding of him and Tom/Sevens. Loved the Brotherhood in general, they really nailed the "merry men" vibe.

I'm super hopeful for the season, so far it's off to a much better start than S2.

This thread delivers!

I've got to kind of agree with Myrrdin; I'm enjoying the televised tutorial on this sewing project more than I have the book tutorial in quite a while. I still love the books about sewing, and nothing can ever truly compare, but the show has taken on a life all of its own.

My major complaint - which isn't really a complaint so much as a minor nitpick - is that my favorite Needle-worker has aged far too quickly. She looks like an almost fully-grown woman, albeit still quite short. She was so perfect for the role in the first season and while the attitude is still perfect, I guess I'm not prepared for my Arya to have teats. It's kind of bothersome with Bran too - not the teats part, but the looking so much older now. *sniff* they grow up so fast

Does that sound as stupid as it looks?

No, they are growing up fast. Sansa is going to be taller than Sandor soon. :) "Hello little puppy."

A crocheted puppy that is. Not to confuse our knitting discussion with anything illegal.

Arya is still small enough to pull off a little girl for now, and as long as they keep Bran seated with a blanket over his legs, they can hide his height as well.

Until season six, when Rickon will be taller than Hodor. By then, Hodor will need help carrying around a full grown man, so Rickon can start pulling his own weight. Well, the weight of his brother.

At least that's I think my cross-stitch will look like. Some days I can't knit my way out of a ball of yarn, so I pick up a needle every once in a while.

Speaking of Needle, I wonder is Thoros would've disarmed Arya as fast had she her own needle instead of her borrowed one?

this last knitting project was a good deal better than the previous one for me. i still think that they dont understand some of the basic elements of knitting. they're often good at knitting scenes, but aren't great at sewing those scenes together into an episode, much less a tapestry

for example, last week, when they were crocheting the dragon design, the weaving consisted of two scenes that were completely unrelated to each other

they dont follow the basic, put a character in a hole, get them out. not every thing needs to be sewn up each week, but some of your designs need to end up with a solution to a problem presented earlier, or on a cliffhanger that introduces next week problem.

otherwise what you have sewn, which happened a lot last year, is just a series of things that happen, none of them pack the punch because what should be the triumph, isnt over anything, because they never introduced the problem correctly

this week at least had two well told weavings, the one about the young she wolf, and the one about the fighting lion. if you have that, you can have a couple other stories that meander and dont come together until the end of the tapestry. and the one about the young stag/lion and the rose(this weaver has some interesting theories on animal hybrids) looks like it could work in that style, much like last years weaving about the squid did.

I liked the way the roses were knitted. In the instructions, we didn't get to see much of the rose-lion motif as it was mostly hidden behind a wolf, so I'm glad they've given the rose a bit more space. I am really curious though as to how many of the designs they're going to be able to fit into this tapestry; there's a lot of blood that will need to be mopped up and quite soon...

I like how they're introducing all the knitting patterns of each house gradually and only when needed. Season one had Wolf, Lion, Stag, Dragon and Eagle. Season Two introduced Roses and Krakens. This season will premiere Trout, and next season will likely bring the Sun.

The rose patterns are developing nicely. I was never much of a fan of the original template for Margery, but the revised template is fleshing out her pattern more. Part of the benefit of not being limited to specific POVs to show new patterns.

I agree, I like the new Rose design. Somehow it's both true to and different from the book tutorial, and it works for the most part. The only part that throws it off a bit has nothing to do with the writing or acting but I think Natalie Dormer's natural look: her natural facial expression seems to teeter from mischievous to deceitful.

I think that the tv version of knitting is more fun because of the knowledge I have from the books. It's not so much a retelling as it is other stories. And it is awesome.

While I will readily admit that I enjoy knitting from the manual to be a greater experience, I also truly look forward to the weekly knitting show on TV. Of course the manual is going to be in greater depth, but the knitting TV show is certainly doing a fine job of showing us how to weave this tapestry.

I actually enjoy using the threads that make the dragon pattern better on the TV show. They just seem more lifelike to me. I also really like the shocking use of the krakken pattern in places that it wasn't put in the tome. As others have pointed out, I like the roses, but the little rose has been better served so far than the big rose. In the manual, the big rose just seemed much brighter and full of color, but even saying that, I still really admire the pattern a lot.

I actually enjoy using the threads that make the dragon pattern better on the TV show. They just seem more lifelike to me. I also really like the shocking use of the krakken pattern in places that it wasn't put in the tome. As others have pointed out, I like the roses, but the little rose has been setter served so far than the big rose. In the manual, the big rose just seemed much brighter and full of color, but even saying that, I still really admire the pattern a lot.

i'm unsure what you mean by big rose. do you mean the young dashing rose? or the very aged rose? the big rose makes me think of the rose that was in the manual but has not yet been woven into the new tapestry(but was discussed just this week

i'm unsure what you mean by big rose. do you mean the young dashing rose? or the very aged rose? the big rose makes me think of the rose that was in the manual but has not yet been woven into the new tapestry(but was discussed just this week

A rose by any other name... is still a tapestry.

The Big rose was the one that was introduced to us this week in our television instructions. I can't imagine a rose being any bigger. The little rose is the one we saw last year while she wasn't wearing any of her leaves.

Archived