Why does no one like Dany?

Ydiot

i still don't see why people hate her tho, i mean i've read all the reasons, and they amount to "dany is indecisive and makes some bad decisions". plenty of other charcters a lot stupider (victarion) and indecisive (i'm looking at you fat gout prince of sand dunes) that get nowhere near the vitriol she does. what gives?

is it cause the chapters are boring maybe? cause i admit i kinda hated brienne for a while. i just associated her with boredom and not enjoying the books as much as i usually do. (i've gotten over this now)

Because she has dragons which totally ruin her storyline, when a protagonist is given godlike powers (dragons, apparently otherworldly beauty which it seems only gay men can resist, the stupidification, yes i made up a word :P of her antagonists to amazing levels of ineptitude eg the astapory,) which make her victory in basically all situations assured then there is no tension or drama in the story making it boring and meaningless. Kind of like fanfiction. Also her greatest sin is that she diffuses tension in the rest of the story arcs as well by the same method.

Q: How or will the other be defeated ? A: Danny and her dragons

Q Who will ultimately sit the iron throne ? A Danny and her dragons

Q Which of the great houses will survive ? A: Whichever Danny decides they will

All of this makes what happens in the rest of the books meaningless, Jon Snow's struggles at the wall, Cercei's machinations, Stannis's determination, Doran's plans, the red wedding, all meaningless. They could all just as well have stayed at home and achieved the same result. Readers like me are reduced to hoping that Brienne survives the series for drama.

I understand why teenage girls love her she has many of the attributes that teenagers crave (power, beauty , comparative intelligence), and her character is vaguely enough defined that they can project themselves to varying degrees in her. I used to like similar characters when I was 13-14, but I'm old now (28) and that seems just silly these days.

sorry if my englis is bad, not my first language you see ;)

dany has dragons so the whole book series is pointless?

wow, that is depressing.

Not completely, the world building is there, the places and lore of westeros are as fascinating as ever. But in terms of the story itself, yes in a way. This telegraphed deus ex machina spoils the ending to a great extent.

i still don't see why people hate her tho, i mean i've read all the reasons, and they amount to "dany is indecisive and makes some bad decisions". plenty of other charcters a lot stupider (victarion)

Victarion isn't a POV major character, his character isn't in the TV show yet, nor is it really a point of contention he's widely hated. He's just not going to get talked about as much.

and indecisive (i'm looking at you fat gout prince of sand dunes) that get nowhere near the vitriol she does. what gives?

Ditto for Doran, though I'd argue he's not indecisive, he just knows what'll happen if he acts recklessly.

i still don't see why people hate her tho, i mean i've read all the reasons, and they amount to "dany is indecisive and makes some bad decisions". plenty of other charcters a lot stupider (victarion) and indecisive (i'm looking at you fat gout prince of sand dunes) that get nowhere near the vitriol she does. what gives?

is it cause the chapters are boring maybe? cause i admit i kinda hated brienne for a while. i just associated her with boredom and not enjoying the books as much as i usually do. (i've gotten over this now)

I think the reasons amount to much more than indecisive and poor decision making. Several people in this thread have given very detailed and reasonable reasons as to why many people would dislike her ranging from her hypocrisy, willingness to torture and kill innocent people, misuse of her dragons, and more. Oberyn and Victarion are much smaller characters compared to Dany- this doesn't make them immune to scrutiny but obviously you'd see it less.

Personally my dislike of her started with Mirri Maz Duur and only grew from there. I, like a few others here, like Dany as a person (albeit a fictional one) but as a ruler I just loathe her. I guess its all in how you interpret a character though. I find the reasons people give for hating Sansa to be very weak.

all i read there is inexperience and some naivety from dany - which you would expect from a what, 15 year old girl? can't see any reason to hate her for that...

If she's inexperienced and naive, she shouldn't be taking it upon herself to 'fix' problems she has absolutely no clue about how to fix. She shouldn't be starting wars, which are getting thousands of people killed, and she shouldn't be talking about her inalienable right to rule a continent.

I'm kind of indifferent about her. I think she's a pretty bad administrator, and I don't believe that's going to change. She's also done some pretty questionable things(pointless tortuee, executions out of sprite) and she's somewhat of a hypocrite. I do sympathize with her at times though. She's had a rough childhood and was sold to a barbarian. In truth, I want her to have a sweet ending that's away from the burden of the Iron Throne.

If she does some horrible things in the next couple of books(as she's predicted to turn ruthless by certain posters) then my opinion of her will likely change for the worst. Regardless, I'm certain she'll play a huge role in the climax and is more than likely destined to do something great.

While this may be true I think one of the things that have gradually been heralded throughout the books is that Dany, with her dragons, wont be the saviour that she or a few others might think. One example is that the true nature of dragons has been revealed, that they are a real menace and extremely dangerous aswell as hard to control. I doubt many will rejoice when they see them in the sky over Westeros..

Totally agree and people seem to think that they would do something different if they had dragons,(which is possible) so it creates alot of animosity toward Dany. She will probably come to westeros and literally burn alot of people. Also i feel their is a big learning arc for Dany she hasn't been raised in court intrique or the like, all that fuels her is a sense of vengeance and duty, she is the last targ.

It's more than all of this though. It's that Dany is indecisive, can't make a good decision, a horrible rule and yet seems destined to rule. At least, that's what it is for me. Martin seems to be setting her up to actually succeed even though she has done absolutely nothing to deserve it. Whereas every other character has to deal with consequences Dany seems like she'll get a Get out of Meereen Free card and then plop down in Westeros and just rule. Not earning it, not knowing how to be an effective leader, and not realizing it is not her birthright.

Dany needs to "queen up" and get the ugly truth from Barristan regarding the Rebellion. If she is determined to rule over people, she had better get her facts straight. As of right now, if she gets back, she wants to burn the people and their castles that are considered mostly "the good guys" and i dont want to see Dragons destroying the Starks and Winterfell anymore than it has.

I like Dany a lot, I like most of the characters, good bad does not matter to me. Do I believe they would make those choices and are they believable as who they are. Ram, Joff, Jon, Dany, Stan, Ned, Arya, Sansa, Drogo, you name it and I generally like them if they are well written. Dany though suffered through some bad writing in the last book. The writing was bad, Martin gave her way to many chapters and has been drawing out her story for too books. Dany was suppose to be a major part of a time skip so her dragons could age. Her, Jon, Arya, Sansa and other younger characters were suppose to benefit from this. It never happened because he felt it conflicted with other stories. In my opinion this was a huge mistake as I don't see how it would have changed much of anything. He also has slowed down the time line after clash, Jon has been 16 for 3 books, he went from 14-16 in two books along with Robb.

Anyway it's not really just Dany, Essos in general is in ill favor, Arya has seen a decline in her popularity and a lot fans basically want the North and only the north and screw the rest of the story. Also there are certain fans who love Jon, and hate Dany very, very much and view her as their enemy. Don't ask me why, I know why, I just don't want to argue about it. I don't blame the Essos hate the chapters can be long and slow reads, and are very stagnant. Just like the Story has slowed to a crawl and Martin feels a need to account for every second anyone is doing anything anywhere. It's been 20 years and the characters have aged 2 years, it's like 90210. And honestly the whole Darrio of the golden tooth love story was probably the worst writing in the entire series. It was beyond forced, pointless, and at times... pretty gross.

I generally ignore fans who talk about I would do this or I would that. Team hindsight the all knowing have always lacked perspective on the characters. They live in a little land I like to call Mary Sue where they or their favorite characters never make any mistakes. I have seen people talk about how Lincoln would never have done what Dany did, like anyone in Westeros knows who Lincoln is.

Forget all that stuff, all that matters is if you like the characters, it doesn't matter if some don't like her, she has plenty of fans on this site, have seen all the people that use her image? Why do you think they do that?

No one likes Dany because she's going to wreak havoc upon the Seven Kingdoms with her three wild murderbeasts.

Stannis with his cleanly shaven head and lack of murderbeasts is a much better choice for the IT.

Also; E Ro. ( or as I call him Ro Ro)

I agree 100% with this, I must say this is the best post I have seen in a good long while. Its so eloquent and well written.

i still don't see why people hate her tho, i mean i've read all the reasons, and they amount to "dany is indecisive and makes some bad decisions".

Like when she turned Astapor into hell?

Or when she ordered a father watch his daughters be tortured?

Or when she had everyone wearing a tokar or holding a whip, no matter the circumstance, murdered by Unsullied?

Or when she had the guilty parties decide who should be punished for their killing of children?

Are these the decisions you're brushing off here?

http://dictionary.re...e/righteous?s=t

Author's words, not mine.

Indeed. A shame people sought to deflect to Stannis in order to protect Dany from valid criticism.

Yeah, I dont see how one can argue the definition of the word righteous. that's a heck of a way to argue though, the author says something positive so lets twist it somehow to make it negative.

I don't dislike the character as much as I dislike reading her POV chapters (other than AGOT, that storyline was great). The rest of it is just so disconnected from everything else (until late ADWD, but that in turn just makes the other POVs who interact with her become boring for me), and just so so slow. Because reading those POV chapters is so painful, it makes me get more annoyed at her naivety and bad decisions than I would for say, Catelyn, because her chapters are just written so much better IMO.

Archived