How has the forum changed your opinion of the characters?

Chaircat Meow

I haven't completely turned around my opinion of the characters, however the forum has made me more critical of some, like Tyrion. On my first read, I thought he was the most clever dude in Westeros, but the forum has pointed out that sometimes he hasn't been as clever as he thought he was. Good.

I was also happy to see that many people defended Sansa, Sandor, and Robb. I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that Roose is a very interesting character (I thought I might be twisted for thinking that - I may be, but not the only one!)

Actually, you know what this forum has done for me? Reassured me that I'm not the only person mad about ASOIAF out there - no one's into it at work or in my family, just a couple of my mates, that's all.

I didn't change any of my opinions based on the threds on the forums, but the analyses made me often take a second and third look for a fresher perspective. I think the forum inspires rereads, and that's what I like best about it.

I try not to hate any characters , even when some of their thoughts or actions are hateful or annoying to me. (with the exception of Ramsey; I just can't do anything else, I HATE him). I do however go through periods where I have (nearly) personal beef with some characters, at the moment that's Dany ("Daenerys, how COULD you??") however I intend to give her my undivided attention in a reread before WoW, because there's nothing in this world better that you can do for your sanity than change your mind and conclusions when the evidence calls for it :D

oh god, and the Stan-fans... they're just so damn hillarious... did they change my mind on Stannis? Probably not, but I am being kinder to him on my reread, so good job guys! (where I'm directly addressing the Stannevangelists)

I don't think Stannis fans consider him a god-like figure; we don't want to bestow Mary Sueness upon a character we love so much. And what I found impressive about Stannis' fanbase, before I was a real time Stannis fan, was that the guy doesn't have anything flashy about him; he barely (if ever) mentions his House's sigil or words, he barely uses slogans at all, he does not act extravagantly etc. You have Dany with fire and blood (over and over again lol), you have the Lannisters with their 'A Lannister always pays his debts', and the Starks' 'Winter is coming' and then you've got Stannis who pretty much says 'fuck slogans I'm going to get down to business'.

So a pretty serious guy inspiring support of such fervor, I found impressive.

I've changed my opinion about most characters of the series after joining the forum, almost exclusively towards a "worse" opinion. I started reading here as soon as i finished the books and I missed quite a few things on a first read.

Not at all really...

Once in a while I'll be briefly swayed by some of the better posts, but then I realize they just leave out all the quotes that disagree with their opinions.

Plus I really only hate/pity (it varies day to day) Cersei/Joffrey who don't get much attention and when they do it's hate or sarcastic love so guess that fits.

I really only like Bran and Arya a lot, and they don't get much attention either way.

I haven't really formed an opinion about Rickon - he always struck me as unimportant or the Stark that will end up in Winterfell at the end, but I think it's hilarious that the forums seem to think he'll come back as a man-eating monster.

95% of all the characters just sit around neutral in my head - after some chapters ill think they're dicks, after others I'll think they're kinda ok... They're all simply just selfish people trying to keep their skins alive in a rough world. But it is exquisitely fun to read :D.

I became more critical of Tyrion. Probably colored my irritation with him throughout ADWD.

At first I loathed Theon, then I reconsidered after reading a few threads. Upon reread, I felt a lot more pity. He was my favorite POV in ADWD.

I was happy to see other people share my love for Sansa, and likewise Sandor.

When did Stannis ever say anything about Sansa? I only ask because I honestly just don't remember this ever happening. Of course my memory is far from perfect so I could just be forgetting.

A couple of times in ADWD. Stannis tries to convince Jon to take Winterfell (which as far as he knows is rightfully Sansa's).

I don't think Stannis fans consider him a god-like figure; we don't want to bestow Mary Sueness upon a character we love so much. And what I found impressive about Stannis' fanbase, before I was a real time Stannis fan, was that the guy doesn't have anything flashy about him; he barely (if ever) mentions his House's sigil or words, he barely uses slogans at all, he does not act extravagantly etc. You have Dany with fire and blood (over and over again lol), you have the Lannisters with their 'A Lannister always pays his debts', and the Starks' 'Winter is coming' and then you've got Stannis who pretty much says 'fuck slogans I'm going to get down to business'.

This.

I was always a Stan-fan but when I stumbled upon this forum, it became more die-hard.

I guess I found out that many people over-like Dany and rather hate Stannis or are indifferent to him, which I consider even worse. I was like 'how can you not like Stannis' same as that you know you love your family, but then someon says: 'I (h)ate my sister' and you are all like ''WTF that is wrong' or something :P

Would love to see him using Ours Is The Fury btw.

Well I was on my way to becoming a Stannist! until I saw his weird scene in "Walk of Punishment" :lol: now he's just another horny pretender again.

The show is not the books, please don't judge him based on the horrid and highly biased Interpratation of the two show runner dudes. That scene never happened in the books and as far as I'm concerned was a fluke.

The show is not the books, please don't judge him based on the horrid and highly biased Interpratation of the two show runner dudes. That scene never happened in the books and as far as I'm concerned was a fluke.

Yeah i agree - the show ruined a lot of characters and if you base your opinion on the show you will miss out on the better developed book characters - i just can't believe what they have done with Littlefinger.

This forum changed my opinion on the blackfyre-pretenders. After reading the books, I thought they were a thread long ago AND pretenders. After learning, that Daemon B. was a full Targaryen, first son of the king, legitimized and his mother being the oldest child of a former king, I am not shure, that they were pretenders. After reading more about Varys, Illyrio and (F)Aegon, I am not shure, the tread is gone!

I respect Stannis, and think, that of all the contenders tfor the Iron Throne, he'd make the best king. But I think that some of the adulation he gets is excessive.

I respect Stannis, and think, that of all the contenders tfor the Iron Throne, he'd make the best king. But I think that some of the adulation he gets is excessive.

It might be a bit excessive, but that's only a response to the super excessive trolling people do to him. Ffs we have people claiming he has no claim to the throne, and that cerceis kids might be Roberts thanks the the sperm jump theory. Also everytime someone calls stannis a coward or Mel's puppet I want to scream.

It might be a bit excessive, but that's only a response to the super excessive trolling people do to him. Ffs we have people claiming he has no claim to the throne, and that cerceis kids might be Roberts thanks the the sperm jump theory. Also everytime someone calls stannis a coward or Mel's puppet I want to scream.

your lot would be respected more if you didn't resort to hyperbole at every opportunity tho. i think ye are turning a lot of people off stannis tbphwy.

your lot would be respected more if you didn't resort to hyperbole at every opportunity tho. i think ye are turning a lot of people off stannis tbphwy.

Brah, you said dany was just like Jesus Christ and the most inherently good character in the series. You'll have to forgive me if I ignore your advice.

I don't think the forum has changed my opinion about any of them enough to make me go from liking them a lot to completely disliking them, or vice versa. I do like Tyrion less than before though, after having read discussions that highlighted his less than good sides in terms of attitudes and actions. Robb Stark also comes off as a bit more stupid on rereads than he did before, but overall I think the forums have just given me more nuanced perspectives.

With that said I didn't and don't "hate" any of the POV characters anyway, perhaps Cersei excepted, and one of the more surprising things about these forums was how much was directed at some of them for really stupid or petty reasons. How can one seriously hate persons like Brienne or Sansa? Sure you can find their chapters boring, or their naivety annoying, but that is not the same thing as actually hating the characters.

Darkstar is also an interesting phenomenon. One sort of unfunny joke from him and a significant fanbase hates him so much they start threads about it, even though he is such an unimportant character (yet at least).

Brah, you said dany was just like Jesus Christ and the most inherently good character in the series. You'll have to forgive me if I ignore your advice.

but when i argue the case for dany i back up my points with facts and inferences. all i've seen the stannis cheerleaders do is post a load of "awesum" quotes from him and make general statements like "stannis is teh bestest".

no offence.

Archived