How has the forum changed your opinion of the characters?

Chaircat Meow

Yea I know who you're talking about, and I seem to recall his full platform including not just Pissant worship, but also led the "Ned is stupid because he took his eyes off the prize" brigade, and coordinated the "Chett Leechman is the most tragic character in all of ASOIAF"

Good times. There was one who was always going on on Gen chat about how society oppresses white men too. 100% serious.

btw: Your avvy and title go together perfectly.

thanks! that is also the expression on my face like, most of the time.

I think Stannis. I liked him at the end of aSOS, but after coming here, it's really reinforced my love for his character. What can I say, I like the underdogs.

What the forums have really done for me, is turn me into a Sansa apologist. I liked her while reading the books, but the sheer level of hate for her I see on the forums has turned me into a die hard Sansa fan.

I think it's funny when people here vehemently refuse to change their minds about the first impressions they had of characters, no matter how much development or change the character has undergone. It's just like denying R+L=J, you had an initial impression, and it was wrong. Get over it. You don't have to love the characters, but come on! Sansa was 11 in a GOT, Theon has been brutally tortured, Jaime has continued to act more and more chivalrous, theses characters do change, whether you like it or not.

Anywho, the forums have just made me a lot more stronger on certain views I have.

Let's see...

I've always loved Stannis, but I enjoy the shameless Stan Stanning so I guess I like him even more now. Props to Ero my brah for that and his fellow Stan Stans.

Mance...Has always been the most awesome character to ever exist (except in the TV show), and he continues to become cooler and cooler and more awesome. He is almost too awesome.

Tyrion. I have never realized the nuances in his relationship with Shae (there's a extensive thread about it), and came to confirm what I have already thought by myself but never really went further: the sheer levels of his hypocrisy. I brushed that aside in my mind manly because he is surrounded by both the king and queen of hypocrisy: Tywin and Cersei. I still think he is a great character for all this.

Shae. I now think that she is an interesting character while I dreaded every time she appeared in the books during my first reading.

Maggy the Frog. Never really cared about that. Now I agree that the prophecy is lame and contrived.

Stannis. He remains as one of my favorite characters. Would hate to interact with him in real life but reading about him is just marvelous. Still I was surprised when I came to the forums and saw that so many people choose to turn a blind eyes to his less than flattering attributes and uphold him as the epitome of justice. And HBO: shame on you for turning Stannis into Melisandre's puppet. :P

Catelyn and Sansa. Never was a hater. In fact Catelyn was always thoroughly sympathetic for me (although I admit I didn't sympathize with Sansa at all during AGOT). But the forums made me realize they are extremely well rounded characters. More that I thought before.

I used to HATE VICTARION SO MUCH HATE HATE HATE HIM

But now I HATE HATE HATE him but also laugh at how hilarious stupid he is :P

Posts like this and all the other hypochritical Ironborn haters make me more of a fan of those crazy "Vikings" each and every time I read it.

Vic may be thick, but at least he's not in denial about it, as so many other characters, such as Robert or Ned. He may be cruel, but at least he doesn't lie to himself and call it being kind, like Daenerys. Some Ironborn may follow a way that could be called "barbaric" but at least they're not presented as the "gentle savage" like the dothraki.

And for those people wishing the Ironborn part had never been written; I call you lucky. I wish none of the "adventures of queen impalesalot and her awesome babyeating spawn in the faraway lands" had been in the books, and that's way more pages.

So yeah, if the boards have done anything, it's to solidify my love for the Ironborn.

i especially love the few cat defenders, i love catelyn very much and she gets a whole lot of hatred which shocked me so much when i first joined the forums.

Cat fans are generally as strong, intelligent, and multi-layered as Cat herself is, imo. They're awesome.

I'm thinking of the Cat stans on this forum and they're all pretty fantastic. :cool4:

Posts like this and all the other hypochritical Ironborn haters make me more of a fan of those crazy "Vikings" each and every time I read it.

Vic may be thick, but at least he's not in denial about it, as so many other characters, such as Robert or Ned. He may be cruel, but at least he doesn't lie to himself and call it being kind, like Daenerys. Some Ironborn may follow a way that could be called "barbaric" but at least they're not presented as the "gentle savage" like the dothraki.

And for those people wishing the Ironborn part had never been written; I call you lucky. I wish none of the "adventures of queen impalesalot and her awesome babyeating spawn in the faraway lands" had been in the books, and that's way more pages.

So yeah, if the boards have done anything, it's to solidify my love for the Ironborn.

Lol, you could argue a case about Robert being dumb, but Ned wasn't dumb and he wasn't nearly as dumb as Victarion. Dany is not cruel, she's done some pretty bad things but she's not cruel.

When I first came to this forum I was a total Arya fanboy. When I read what many other Arya fans whished her to become and how the many ways were discussed that she would "finish off" her list a la Kill Bill, I felt the need to argue against most of her deeds. I still love Arya, but I found that I canĀ“t properly discuss her, I paint her too bad very often since in my mind her good traits are a given and need no saying.

I also had a problem relating to Daenerys, yes I felt with her and understood her empowerment, but her story felt like a strange attachment to me, since the people she interacts are shown so two dimensional and her connection to the main story was only through Jorah and her claim, which I deeply rejected (The Targaryens were stressing their genetic superiority too much for my support.).

So when I read Apple MartiniĀ“s views on Dany they made a lot of sense to me, but I somehow had the feeling hat Martin wouldnĀ“t take one of the most important characters down such a straight dark path. The Learning to lead threads made me appreciate Dany a lot more than before, especially BlisscraftĀ“s posts and Patrick StormbornĀ“s enthusiasm, but I still think she will have to sacrifice her "claim" (to the IT - not leadership of her followers) and dragons in order to be good.

apologies, that as a young woman, i have no affinity whatsoever with a man who would beat his wife to death. :dunno:

Well, then you can't have any affinity with Stannis or Robert or pretty much any of the other male characters in positions of power either.

If Robert had found out Cersei had been fucking around with Jaimie, what do you think he'd do ? We already see him beat her up over -backtalking-.

Basically, men in power in the society portrayed in the books don't do well with cuckolding. Vic is the only one shown to have to actually face public ridicule and be put in that spot, and he clearly didn't enjoy killing her. He felt it was something he had to do to preserve his own honor and social standing, but he clearly hates his brother for putting him in that position.

That's why the Ironborn haters are hypochritical, because they operate with one set of ideals for the Ironborn and another for the guys they like, and then surprise surprise, come out with the Ironborn being horribad and everyone else being saints with bells on. No dice.

Yeah the Bolton love I just don't get. Maybe just contrarion?

Speaking as a Bolton lover I find Roose charming and interesting in a creepy and uncanny way. For me it's just too pleasing reading about him. He doesn't have Tywin's pious attitude that I loath and his sense of entitlement IMHO is never punctuated by the notion that he really believes that what he does is principled. He just do it because he can and seems to have no illusions about what a horrible person he is. I like when a character is unapologetic evil. I also love gray characters but in fiction I want to have also contact with the extraordinaire/ extreme sometimes. Roose and Ramsay provide me that. And I think that even if Roose lacks so much human traits and seems kind of stereotyped, in a way he comes out as a somewhat strangely unique character. :dunno:

Ramsay is so enerving and nightmarish that he also fascinates me (specially in ACOK). They both don't seem very "real" (also one of the reasons I can't hate Roose) and that is so fine because we already have tons of "realistic" characters in the books that we can identify or associate with someone in real life (maybe coming to loath them in the process).

I guess I also have a penchant for the gruesome and macabre aspects. I'm a horror fan and the Bolton are horrific.

Never will understand why Roose and Catelyn :rolleyes: are listed as some of the most hated characters and Tywin and Littlefinger are listed among the most beloved in the Tower of the Hand site.

When I first came to this forum I was a total Arya fanboy. When I read what many other Arya fans whished her to become and how the many ways were discussed that she would "finish off" her list a la Kill Bill, I felt the need to argue against most of her deeds. I still love Arya, but I found that I canĀ“t properly discuss her, I paint her too bad very often since in my mind her good traits are a given and need no saying.

This is how I feel about Sansa. Fear of being eaten alive was what turned me away from Sansa threads despite liking her a lot.

I guess I should have said that the forums just reinforced my opinions of some characters, instead of my opinions being unchanged.

I love Stannis and Jon, flaws and all. Who says they're dull? :P

Well, then you can't have any affinity with Stannis or Robert or pretty much any of the other male characters in positions of power either.

If Robert had found out Cersei had been fucking around with Jaimie, what do you think he'd do ? We already see him beat her up over -backtalking-.

Basically, men in power in the society portrayed in the books don't do well with cuckolding. Vic is the only one shown to have to actually face public ridicule and be put in that spot, and he clearly didn't enjoy killing her. He felt it was something he had to do to preserve his own honor and social standing, but he clearly hates his brother for putting him in that position.

That's why the Ironborn haters are hypochritical, because they operate with one set of ideals for the Ironborn and another for the guys they like, and then surprise surprise, come out with the Ironborn being horribad and everyone else being saints with bells on. No dice.

i don't have an affinity for robert. i have made quite a few posts on my opinion of robert and the tragedy of his character. and how he became a fat, drunken, incompetent rapist oaf.

and i'm sorry, i don't really want a pseudo history lesson on why it was okay for vic to beat his wife to death.

stop trying to make me like him.

it doesn't make me a hypocrite. it makes you strange for implying every single man in that society would condone what he did.

are you serious?

i think you're being a bit personal here, and you know nothing about my favourite characters and story lines, but suffice to say, if any bad beat his wife to death, i'd hate him too.

i like elements of the ironborn story a lot, im intrigued by evil euron, i LOVE asha and theon. fond of the reader.

please don't tell me to like a group of brutish, rapists. i dislike all rapists in the book, i have made many comments on my disdain for tyrion ect.

so don't make strange imaginary assumptions about my opinion of certain characters and then proceed to call be a hypocrite for your imagined ideas of my hatred for the iron born and love for every horrible character that isn't an ironborn.

cheers. :)

might wanna turn down the heat of your initial posts.

This is how I feel about Sansa. Fear of being eaten alive was what turned me away from Sansa threads despite liking her a lot.

Exactly. There are plenty of Arya fans i dont agree with as well. But srsly, i cant discuss Sansa without being ripped to shreds. Apparently that girl has no flaws.

Archived