Ran

Excellent episode. Poor Arya misses her dad so much. :(

Addendum:

This episode was a lot about fire, and a lot about children and how war and the behavior of adults affects their lives. It appears that Stannis's poor daughter is neglected, and she is so sweet! And those poor Lannister boys - that was harsh. Arya is really still a child, as much of a BAMF as she is developing to be. She still has a child's deep grief for the loss of her father.

Those stillborn babies in the jars were so creepy I couldn't stand to look at them. :ack:

The Jaime/Breanne scene was touching; Jaime's journey has been a very hard one - he has carried a heavy burden of guilt and secrecy since the events of years before, and covered it up with bravado and bad behavior - he has finally found someone he can unburden himself to, a friend he can trust. As one reviewer put it, when he was overcome by everything and she grabbed him, it was a Pieta-like moment.

And apparently Tywin is either unaware or in denial about Loras' sexual orientation. Or doesn't care. Hard to figure that guy out sometimes.

Edited by Arrow

Yes! Great episode again.

Arya was fantastic (as always)

Jamie and his explanation/flashback of how he got the name "Kingslayer" was pretty heartwrenching

Last scene with Twyin/Cersei/Tyrion was also perfect (Charles Dance can seriously be a scary guy)

BTW is it just me or was the fight scene between the Hound and Beric by far the best sword fight scene in the show?

Whoops, posted this in the wrong thread, hahaha. Edited.

is it just me or was the fight scene between the Hound and Beric by far the best sword fight scene in the show?

Definitely agreed.

Edited by chareth cutestory

Awesome episode, probably my favorite.

Arya scenes awesome as usual.

Tyrion is fantastic as ever, possibly more (his FACE when they tell him he's marrying Sansa!)

LOVED Shireen and her little song, I cracked up!

Not to mention his face when he was talking to the QoT - "I was told you were drunk, impertinent and thoroughly debauched. You would imagine my disappointment finding nothing but a browbeaten bookkeeper."

Edited by Arrow

I loved the episode, but I am confused about the Sansa/Loras, Cercei/Loras marriage arrangements. Wasn't one of the agreements for the Tyrell/Lannister alliance to have Loras be part of the king's gaurd? And they can't have wives, right? Or am I confusing that with the books?

can someone explain what jamie was saying in the tub, i couldn't quite understand all of what he was saying

I had trouble as well but got the jist of it. Gonna have to re-watch tonight. I understood him as explaining how he got the name King Slayer and why. Lots of history on the Mad Kings last moments and requests as well. Pretty amazing scene.

can someone explain what jamie was saying in the tub, i couldn't quite understand all of what he was saying

He said that the Mad King liked to burn people alive. He then said that when the armies of House Baratheon and House Lannister were descending on Kings Landing, the Mad King Aerys Targaryen had stashed pots of Wildfire around Kings Landing and wanted to burn the whole place to the ground, all the men, women, and children who lived in the city burned alive, so that Robert Baratheon would have nothing when he took Kings Landing. When Tywin Lannister arrived at Kings Landing, Jaime advised the Mad King to lock him out, but Maester Pycelle told the Mad King that Tywin Lannister had always been a friend to the Crown. The Mad King let the Lannister army in and they proceeded to sack the city.

Jaime said the Mad King ordered Jaime to kill his own father and bring him, the Mad King, Tywin's head. Jaime refused and killed the Mad King so he couldn't burn anyone else alive, and so he wouldn't have to kill his own father.

Brienne asks why he never told anyone this, and he said that when Eddard Stark came to the throne room and saw what Jaime had done, he immediately judged him and would not have wanted to hear his side of the story. He then asked what right does the wolf have to judge the lion - and starts to pass out. Brienne catches him and calls for help "for the Kingslayer". That's when he tells her his name is Jaime.

I thought they did a great job casting the girl to play the part of Shireen. Sweat, innocent little girl almost exactly how I pictured her from the books.

NKW's turn explaining the reason behind the deed that marked him as "The Kingslayer" was very good. I thought he hit it out of the park with his opening up to Brienne.

Funny how Tywin can get along w/Arya so well at Harenhall and enjoys her company

as opposed to how he and his actual kids can't seem to get along at all.

This episode didn't have the huge wow moment that the end of the last provided, but very good nonetheless.

Finally a true Stannis-Moment. Like Robb before the scolding of Edmure, it took me a while to warm up to this character. Now it seems to me like I can finally see into this character ... He feels like he has done something wrong, but can not admit it (after all ... he is a king :) ) and the red woman just "preaches" assurance. So he seeks out someone he knows he has done some wrong, hopes almost to get a rant, only to be once again "preached" reassurance, and reminded of his lost sons (no wonder he stays away from his wife)

Hearing the name Edrik made me quiet happy. I hoped they removed that useless character.

And then Shireen... oh Shireen. His daughter lets him feel even guiltier without saying anything against him - even mentioning Davos, what reminds him of the decision he has to stand by. (at least that is the way I see it)

That girl was just incredible.

I always found it hard to imagine this character through the books. (like all child-characters) It was so great to finally "see" her.

I love the way they presented her relationship with Stannis and Davos. (and his learning to read) One of the many ways the show has improved the story from the books... That might become even greater then the Tywin - Aria improvement.

The only thing that was missing was a little doll named Patchface, she always carries around with her. :)

Aria was great as always, not "It's really good!" (Farewell from Hot-Pie) great, but still impressive.

I was also impressed how they presented the Hounds fear of fire in the battle.

I wish they would also make something out of the Mountain. Ever since they changed the actor he seamed somehow invisible to me.

Igniting a blade with blood was a nice tough.

As I imagined the J & I bath scene was nothing compared to J & B's.

I had always problems to imagine Jamie as not arrogant, what ruined the scene in the book for me. After this scene, this part of the book seems like faded from my memory and replaced.

It was nice to see Ned for a change in another light and the "Call me Jaime" at the end broke the heart, I did not know I had before "It's really good!"

"Kissed by Fire" may sounds nice, but it seem like such an unfitting title for this episode, when it is actually the first episode that managed to focus pretty much every scene on one Theme: "oaths, loyalty and honour" Only the end seemed to drift off a little.

The uncovering of the marriage plot went far to fast. They should have cut it up and sprinkled it all over the episode.

The last scene was OK. No burning slavers or cut of hands. Just a little drama is enough... with some nice details like "Father don't make me do it again." and "put an end to this disgusting rumours about you."

I always wanted to know a little more about Tywins thoughts about that. Does he just not care? Does he suppress it? Or is he so deadlocked in his opinions (as his assessment of Tyrions 'handwork' suggest), that he actually does not know?

Edited by trearu

What was wrong with Stannis's daughter(her face)? I feel like it said something in the book, but I must not have found it relevant if it did.

Hearing the name Edrik made me quiet happy.

Just curious what do you mean by Edrik? I remember Edrick Storm at Storm's End.