[Book Spoilers] Yunkai

Hey, re: Meereen and whether or not it will be included, of course it is. Think about it this way. We probably still have 3, possibly 4 seasons to get through the rest of ASOS, AFFC and ADWD. Dany's storyline bogs down significantly in Meereen. It makes sense to delay the start of the Meereen storyline as much as possible, so that her story moves along better than in the books.

I am loving how the dragons are turning out. Could have been so easy for them to look like dinosaurs with wings. They look scary as hell and yet they cuddle up to their mother. Awesome.

Everything that looks even a tiny bit like a dinosaur is wonderful. But yes, Dany's dragons are terrific!

Hey, re: Meereen and whether or not it will be included, of course it is. Think about it this way. We probably still have 3, possibly 4 seasons to get through the rest of ASOS, AFFC and ADWD. Dany's storyline bogs down significantly in Meereen. It makes sense to delay the start of the Meereen storyline as much as possible, so that her story moves along better than in the books.

Dany's story in ADwD is one of the few that can be shortened considerably. From a narrative perspective, she's in Meereen to learn about ruling and conquest, and to wait for everyone GRRM needs to reach her. Her ADwD material can easily be covered in a single season.

I wonder if we'll be seeing any crucified children in the next episode?

*crosses fingers*

Don't think that will happen until next season. As it is Meereen that did that. During Dany's scene I first thought they were moulding Yunkai and Meereen into one, but when she made the offer to the Wise Masters they are going to be two separate places.

Don't think that will happen until next season. As it is Meereen that did that. During Dany's scene I first thought they were moulding Yunkai and Meereen into one, but when she made the offer to the Wise Masters they are going to be two separate places.

I figured the same, I mean, her adventures in the east really do seem to drag on a bit in the books, seems like it would be difficult to transfer it to tv without compressing some of it together. We'll see.

I figured the same, I mean, her adventures in the east really do seem to drag on a bit in the books, seems like it would be difficult to transfer it to tv without compressing some of it together. We'll see.

The reason why she has stayed in Meereen for so long is because the author deems Westerors not yet ready for her yet, things have to be in place in the story before her return. I have no idea how they are going to transfer it to tv though, it better be not a repeat of Qarth.

The reason why she has stayed in Meereen for so long is because the author deems Westerors not yet ready for her yet, things have to be in place in the story before her return. I have no idea how they are going to transfer it to tv though, it better be not a repeat of Qarth.

And the dragons need time to grow. As they are now, they are dangerous but not game-changers on the battlefield.

And the dragons need time to grow. As they are now, they are dangerous but not game-changers on the battlefield.

They more than tripled in size between last season and this season (it looks like their wingspan is at least 6 foot now), so their size really isn't that important. Drogon's wingspan is only 18 foot when he turns upto Daznak's Pit. They should certainly be big enough to ride by season 5.

They more than tripled in size between last season and this season (it looks like their wingspan is at least 6 foot now), so their size really isn't that important. Drogon's wingspan is only 18 foot when he turns upto Daznak's Pit. They should certainly be big enough to ride by season 5.

To look "realistic" (& be able to carry a person while looking "realistic"), Drogon will need to have a much wider wingspan than 18 feet.

They have indeed grown. How does it follow that their size is not important? If the Targaryen forces took the offered Yukinish ships and sailed to Westeros right now, would Drogon be implacable on the battlefield? Or would he more likely go down to the 1st organized volley of archers?

Slaver's Bay may have been crowded when Astapor was shown, but Yunkai was still in the distance.

I do think they can still add Mereen, We'll just see a different show opener in Season 4

Mereen will be in. Remember episode 3: Mereeneese knot. Why would they include that? It need to be in, not only because it is important for the story. It need to be in, because else Danny's story will move too fast. Next season will be the introduction of the Mereen plot, Some parts of the DwD story. and season 5 will end with here riding Drogo.

I think it's funny to see people making up things. Like Volantis replace Mereen. Eagon replace Quentyn. Etc. Quentyn is a POV and will be in it. They will change some bits but they will not change the story in a big way, that it will make major plotholes.

But I think it's better to wait this type of discussion when season 3 ends?

They have indeed grown. How does it follow that their size is not important? If the Targaryen forces took the offered Yukinish ships and sailed to Westeros right now, would Drogon be implacable on the battlefield? Or would he more likely go down to the 1st organized volley of archers?

Ive often wondered this. Surely a few well places ballista bolts would cut a dragon to pieces? And wouldnt the arrows puncture their wings, rendering them immobile? I guess they could have rock hard scales.

I meant that clearly they can just continue to grow off-screen between seasons. If Dany sailed to Pentos right now, she wouldn't have to wait long until the dragons are big enough to be ridden.

Ive often wondered this. Surely a few well places ballista bolts would cut a dragon to pieces? And wouldnt the arrows puncture their wings, rendering them immobile? I guess they could have rock hard scales.

I guess "well placed" is the real trick, isn't it? A ballista is not a precision instrument for plucking flying targets from the sky :)

A dragon's wing membrane would have to strengthen as it grows, or it would rip before it could displace enough air on a downflap to support the dragon's weight. Presumably battle-ready dragons have strong enough membrane to not be pierced by arrows. Indeed, that may be begging the question "when is a dragon battle-ready"?

I meant that clearly they can just continue to grow off-screen between seasons. If Dany sailed to Pentos right now, she wouldn't have to wait long until the dragons are big enough to be ridden.

Near as I can tell, ALL of their growth is off-screen. ;) But it still has to occur along SOME sort of timeline...and that timeline is somewhat set forth in the book...Drogon is big enough for Dany to ride only after months in Mereen.

Dany's story in ADwD is one of the few that can be shortened considerably. From a narrative perspective, she's in Meereen to learn about ruling and conquest, and to wait for everyone GRRM needs to reach her. Her ADwD material can easily be covered in a single season.

Don't you see the problem with that? If the series will need 3+ seasons to get to the end of ADWD, what good would it be to have Dany's story compressed into one season/s worth? That will leave a lot of episodes with no mention of Dany. Viewers will lose interest in her, and her storyline will stagnate on screen. My point is the opposite - that the show writers need to both pace things out well and add enough interesting changes to the book storyline to keep things interesting for 3 seasons or more.

I know they tipped their hat to it in this episode, when Dany's attendant included "Freerer of slaves, or Mother of Slaves," I can't remember which, wish I could go back to look at that. I know there was a mention of her freeing slaves in there somewhere. I also can't remember when being called 'Mother' by the slaves starts. I'm thinking Astapoor in the books, were she's surrounded, and reinforced in Yunkai. I'm sorry they haven't included that, it was such a powerful moment for her and her story arch and why she seeks to free them all.

They may yet do it, and I also know a lot is missed without internal dialogue.

Archived