[Book Spoilers] Yunkai

True Blood is also one of the strongest performing HBO dramas in recent history, and it's full of inconsistencies and plot-holes... just like GoT. Ratings =/= quality. Some of the changes D&D have made genuinely defy logic.

Keep your crap contained to the appreciation threads.

How can you say that before the series ends? You don't know what moments are slow-building or what are meant to have quick payoffs. Look at it this way, right now you're complaining that they may not include Mereen, despite all signs pointing to that they will.

D&D have taken a very consistent approach to source material that George had purposefully written to be "impossible to adapt." Randomly dropping insults in any old thread about how they're not good writers just suggests you're sour about some of the past changes they've made, which for the most part streamline the show and help keep them under the budget. Either get over it or stop watching the show. Do you or Protar even enjoy it, or do you just get off on whinging about every little thing?

How can you say that before the series ends? You don't know what moments are slow-building or what are meant to have quick payoffs. Look at it this way, right now you're complaining that they may not include Mereen, despite all signs pointing to that they will.

D&D have taken a very consistent approach to source material that George had purposefully written to be "impossible to adapt." Randomly dropping insults in any old thread about how they're not good writers just suggests you're sour about some of the past changes they've made, which for the most part streamline the show and help keep them under the budget. Either get over it or stop watching the show. Do you or Protar even enjoy it, or do you just get off on whinging about every little thing?

PS will complain about anything from the show, the fact that it didn't happen yet, or may never happen won't stop him.

Hmm, true. But, at the same time, if you have a look at the map as it passes from the Wall to Slaver's Bay, it passes right over the spot where Braavos should be but isn't. So, they probably just add places to it on a season-by-season basis.

And you can go back to s1 intros and see that there is not anything at all for Harrenhal, Eyrie, Riverun, etc until they appear in an episode.

A lot of the changes are practical too...

Like, pulling Theon's story from Dance. A big chunk of Theon's first chapters in Dance are recounts of Ramsay's shop of horrors. Made more sense to let the viewers see what he was up to in the Dreadfort dungeons than having Alfie Allen on standby for 3 seasons.

I was really hoping that Yunkai and Mereen would be combined, so that we could get through the Mereen clusterfuck as fast as possible.I'm starting to think we'll get both, unfortunately. Hopefully next season Dany will capture mereen fairly quickly, and they can speed through the LoraqmoShasnyzKrizyncmoDafuqniys parts.

Yunkai does look amazing though, the CGI has been consistently impressive this season.

I was really hoping that Yunkai and Mereen would be combined, so that we could get through the Mereen clusterfuck as fast as possible.I'm starting to think we'll get both, unfortunately. Hopefully next season Dany will capture mereen fairly quickly, and they can speed through the LoraqmoShasnyzKrizyncmoDafuqniys parts.

Yunkai does look amazing though, the CGI has been consistently impressive this season.

Really? I would have thought they would need to try to draw out Meereen as long as possible. I mean, if Feast and Dance takes them two seasons to show...that's a lot of nothing in Dany's story. I think they're going to need to be creative with their changes there as two seasons of Dany in Meereen doing next to nothing is not sustainable for this show where she is, probably, the favourite.

Really? I would have thought they would need to try to draw out Meereen as long as possible. I mean, if Feast and Dance takes them two seasons to show...that's a lot of nothing in Dany's story. I think they're going to need to be creative with their changes there as two seasons of Dany in Meereen doing next to nothing is not sustainable for this show where she is, probably, the favourite.

I think it more likely that FFC/ADWD will only have one season dedicated to it, along with some bit and bobs scattered among s4 and 6.

I think it more likely that FFC/ADWD will only have one season dedicated to it, along with some bit and bobs scattered among s4 and 6.

:agree: Yeah, Theon's torture is from ADWD, and it is almost certain that Bran's and the Greyjoy chapters from AFFC/ADWD will be next season, that's a big part of the books moving forward. Dany only has 2 chapters in Mereen in ASOS so they will have to move some of her stuff from later books, I guess Drogon eating a child may be a good ending for her. If D+D do it right they can make it into just 1 season, let's be honest most of Dany/Brienne/Tyrion's travels will not make good TV material.

Did D and D say there were going to draw some material from Feast to put into season 4? I thought I'd read that, but I'm not really sure. And I'm guessing a lot of the travelogue after that will be Tyrion scenes, since he seems to be a show favorite.

Did D and D say there were going to draw some material from Feast to put into season 4? I thought I'd read that, but I'm not really sure. And I'm guessing a lot of the travelogue after that will be Tyrion scenes, since he seems to be a show favorite.

They did say that we'll have some of AFFC an ADWD in season 4.

But if you go back and look at the map you'll see that there isn't even any room for them to add Meereen. They'll have to recreate the map and add Meereen if they decide to show it, unless they move it further away from Yunkai.

I'm calling that Meereen will be ignored completely and Dany will take Volantis in S4. Just seems like there have been extraneous references to Volantis since S2 (Talisa Stark for one)

I'm calling that Meereen will be ignored completely and Dany will take Volantis in S4. Just seems like there have been extraneous references to Volantis since S2 (Talisa Stark for one)

It's possible I guess but what would be the point of that particular change?

It's possible I guess but what would be the point of that particular change?

Obviously, it's the biggest slave city. But seems like a more interesting place to sit for 2.5 seasons

Introducing the Rhoynar at the same time as the Dornish. (cutting down on Ghiscari fatigue?)

Marching down the demon road past the Doom for some Doom exposition & just feeling like she's getting closer to Westeros.

Making Tyrion's trip to join Dany more manageable?

Plus it's still adjacent to the Dothraki sea, it just seems like there's more possibility for interesting sub-plots to keep it going.

Obviously, it's the biggest slave city. But seems like a more interesting place to sit for 2.5 seasons

Introducing the Rhoynar at the same time as the Dornish. (cutting down on Ghiscari fatigue?)

Marching down the demon road past the Doom for some Doom exposition & just feeling like she's getting closer to Westeros.

Plus it's still adjacent to the Dothraki sea, it just seems like there's more possibility for interesting sub-plots to keep it going.

Hmm. I like it, sounds plausible. Frankly, I don't think they'll actually do that but you make a compelling argument for it.

Hmm. I like it, sounds plausible. Frankly, I don't think they'll actually do that but you make a compelling argument for it.

There's no evidence that they'll actually do it, but I thought of it while looking at the interactive map. Meereen is listed but it doesn't have the little upside-down teardrop to click on. Unlike Volantis. And then the QoT asked Pod if he went all the way to Volantis for figs. So there you go. Proof positive.

I'm on board with this. Not only will it cut the drudgery of Mereen court life, but it also gets Dany closer to Westeros. Hopefully there will still be a big battle if they move the storyline to Volantis.

I'm on board with this. Not only will it cut the drudgery of Mereen court life, but it also gets Dany closer to Westeros. Hopefully there will still be a big battle if they move the storyline to Volantis.

I hardly think the exact mileage matters. Dany will still be spending the same amount of time in Essos. It also causes problems further down the line as Volantis is the city were other plot points like Faegon's conquest take place, which Dany most certainly can't intersect with.

If anything is changed up with the Slaver Cities I don't see it being anything other than Meereen being merged with Yunkai.

I hardly think the exact mileage matters. Dany will still be spending the same amount of time in Essos. It also causes problems further down the line as Volantis is the city were other plot points like Faegon's conquest take place, which Dany most certainly can't intersect with.

If anything is changed up with the Slaver Cities I don't see it being anything other than Meereen being merged with Yunkai.

It is an unsupported theory, to be fair. But the Faegon thing wouldn't have to be a big complication. Quentyn Martell will probably be cut from the show, so they could just have Aegon take his place, meeting Dany in Volantis and be gently rejected the way Quent was. Then he returns to Westeros with elephants just like in the books,

Quent is hardly needed to free her dragons, anybody could do that. Plus fighting an insurgency in Volantis seems like it could be more interesting, with the Triarchs and Red Priests, forces with different shades of motivation.

Meereen just gets monotonous with the mustache-twirling slavers because you're just like "Wake up, Dany, kill them already!"

It is an unsupported theory, to be fair. But the Faegon thing wouldn't have to be a big complication. Quentyn Martell will probably be cut from the show, so they could just have Aegon take his place, meeting Dany in Volantis and be gently rejected the way Quent was. Then he returns to Westeros with elephants just like in the books,

Quent is hardly needed to free her dragons, anybody could do that. Plus fighting an insurgency in Volantis seems like it could be more interesting, with the Triarchs and Red Priests, forces with different shades of motivation.

Meereen just gets monotonous with the mustache-twirling slavers because you're just like "Wake up, Dany, kill them already!"

You do remember the last time D+D made an invented plot for Dany right? They be better served making the most of Meereen which has some interesting potential, rather than creating a whole new story.

I think people underestimate Quent's importance. His posthumous importance that is, as I predict his death will have major implications for how Dorne reacts to Dany further down the line. Unless they completely deviate from the books I think we'll be getting all the Martells.

Archived