[Book Spoilers] Yunkai

I think people underestimate Quent's importance. His posthumous importance that is, as I predict his death will have major implications for how Dorne reacts to Dany further down the line. Unless they completely deviate from the books I think we'll be getting all the Martells.

Quentyn's story is a long-winded. boring, and not even reasonable way of saying Dorne won't declare for Dany. Won't they declare for Aegon anyways since he's Elia's son supposedly? I agree that they won't skip the story but I don't really care either way. As for Dany's storyline, I hope they can make the Harpy mystery somewhat more exciting and interesting than it is in the books, where it's basically "Who gives a shit Dany just get the fuck out of there already!"

You do remember the last time D+D made an invented plot for Dany right? They be better served making the most of Meereen which has some interesting potential, rather than creating a whole new story.

Qarth was screwed up even though it was still Qarth, wasn't it?

I meant for most of the events of Meereen to take place in Volantis, where there could be a few more dimensions to the story. And an episode or two on the Demon road on the way there.

I'm estimating the events of books 4/5 to take about 23 episodes (406-608: assuming ASoS is over by 405, and the big battles at the beginning of TWoW to be the last two episodes of season 6) That's a lot of time for Dany to be in one place. Though I suppose she gets carried off by Drogon about 606.

Quentyn's story is a long-winded. boring, and not even reasonable way of saying Dorne won't declare for Dany. Won't they declare for Aegon anyways since he's Elia's son supposedly? I agree that they won't skip the story but I don't really care either way. As for Dany's storyline, I hope they can make the Harpy mystery somewhat more exciting and interesting than it is in the books, where it's basically "Who gives a shit Dany just get the fuck out of there already!"

AFfC/ADwD can't take too long, or the show will fail. There will be cuts - big cuts. I enjoyed reading the Quentyn plot the second time around when I wasn't in a hurry to press ahead, but ultimately I think he will go the way of Willas Tyrell.

Willas and Garlan weren't POV characters trying to align a country with our main female character. He wont be cut, although his travels certainly will be

Trying and failing.

And Doran is too reasonable to even hold Quent's death against Dany. So where's the impact?

AFfC/ADwD can't take too long, or the show will fail. There will be cuts - big cuts. I enjoyed reading the Quentyn plot the second time around when I wasn't in a hurry to press ahead, but ultimately I think he will go the way of Willas Tyrell.

I think if they try to get two seasons out of it, it will be a big mistake. I know you could list all the events and make it seem like 20 hours worth of television, but it would be better as like 12-15 hours of good televsion. So I agree there's cuts to be made but I'd start with half of AFFC (Brienne, Sam, Ironborn stuff), since the Martells do seem to be important enough that including Quentyn fleshes them out a bit more, and not to mention gives Arianne reason to believe her father distrusts her. Plus it would only take a few scenes to play it out as quickly as it happened in AffC.

I think if they try to get two seasons out of it, it will be a big mistake. I know you could list all the events and make it seem like 20 hours worth of television, but it would be better as like 12-15 hours of good televsion. So I agree there's cuts to be made but I'd start with half of AFFC (Brienne, Sam, Ironborn stuff), since the Martells do seem to be important enough that including Quentyn fleshes them out a bit more, and not to mention gives Arianne reason to believe her father distrusts her. Plus it would only take a few scenes to play it out as quickly as it happened in AffC.

What cuts should be made to books 4/5 is a pretty fertile topic and probably belongs on another thread- but I still think Quent is useless.

back to Yunkai- I hope they keep Belwas's scene against the champion of Yunkai and just give it to Barriston. Though presumably Barristan won't shit in public.

I do think that Quentyn's travelogue can be cut, he can just turn up at Meereen and propose to Dany. And I thought it was quite clear from the sample chapters of TWOW that:

the Dornish are pretty skeptical of Aegon, whereas considering they sent Quentyn to marry Dany they felt pretty confident in allying with her.

Qarth was screwed up even though it was still Qarth, wasn't it?

I meant for most of the events of Meereen to take place in Volantis, where there could be a few more dimensions to the story. And an episode or two on the Demon road on the way there.

But that's a pointless change that only complicates things. I agree Dany's story needs a bit more spice to work for television, but all of that can take place in Meereen perfectly fine. Why would they shift things to Volantis? It makes no sense. Tyrion, Quentyn, Aegon and Victarion all stop by there on their way to Dany and having their stories intersect with Dany's before they're supposed to would just create a huge mess. Aegon especially seeing as he's not even planning to meet Dany anymore.

To do that they'd either have to create a whole new locale to shift Aegon et al to (which defeats the whole point of merging cities.) or they'd have to drop all pretense of adapting the books faithfully.

I'm estimating the events of books 4/5 to take about 23 episodes (406-608: assuming ASoS is over by 405, and the big battles at the beginning of TWoW to be the last two episodes of season 6) That's a lot of time for Dany to be in one place. Though I suppose she gets carried off by Drogon about 606.

I see AFFC/ADWD being mostly over by the end of S5, with some events blended into S4 and S6. The battle of fire can act as the climax for S5. The battle of ice can open up S6.

That's assuming they follow the episodes by how we've read them in the books. Bearing in mind certain events in Book 4 happen during events in Book 3, i wouldn't be surprised if ASOS lasts until the end of the 4th season with regards to maybe Dany, Tyrion and Jon. I reckon they would want to squeeze as much of Tywin and Joffrey as they can, considering how much impact they have, and probably shoehorn Dorne and the Greyjoys into the story wherever they can see a gap (which people may argue should be used for expanding on storylines such as Dany's)

The real question is how do D+D see AFFC & DWD in terms of what is worth keeping/cutting/changing. They talk a lot about their love of the 1st three books (with ASOS being highlighted) but at this point, i'm not sure if they have said so much about book 4+5 (naturally because they haven't come to those events yet.)

How can you say that before the series ends? You don't know what moments are slow-building or what are meant to have quick payoffs. Look at it this way, right now you're complaining that they may not include Mereen, despite all signs pointing to that they will.

D&D have taken a very consistent approach to source material that George had purposefully written to be "impossible to adapt." Randomly dropping insults in any old thread about how they're not good writers just suggests you're sour about some of the past changes they've made, which for the most part streamline the show and help keep them under the budget. Either get over it or stop watching the show. Do you or Protar even enjoy it, or do you just get off on whinging about every little thing?

Theres nothing more nauseating than someone who thinks the sun shines out of D&D's asses and gets overly defensive when someone criticises them. Theyre doing a good job but theyve also done alot WRONG. Not to mention they flat out dont even understand certain characters. (Stannis)and put way too much emphasis on the ones they like (Theon).

I do think that Quentyn's travelogue can be cut, he can just turn up at Meereen and propose to Dany. And I thought it was quite clear from the sample chapters of TWOW that:

the Dornish are pretty skeptical of Aegon, whereas considering they sent Quentyn to marry Dany they felt pretty confident in allying with her.

But that's a pointless change that only complicates things. I agree Dany's story needs a bit more spice to work for television, but all of that can take place in Meereen perfectly fine. Why would they shift things to Volantis? It makes no sense. Tyrion, Quentyn, Aegon and Victarion all stop by there on their way to Dany and having their stories intersect with Dany's before they're supposed to would just create a huge mess. Aegon especially seeing as he's not even planning to meet Dany anymore.

To do that they'd either have to create a whole new locale to shift Aegon et al to (which defeats the whole point of merging cities.) or they'd have to drop all pretense of adapting the books faithfully.

I see AFFC/ADWD being mostly over by the end of S5, with some events blended into S4 and S6. The battle of fire can act as the climax for S5. The battle of ice can open up S6.

Another thread has D & D saying no new locations for S4, so that probably means no Volantis and no Braavos till S5. So forget that theory. I agree that books 4/5 could/should come down to about 15 episodes, when you consider how much marking time would have to happen for some characters to stretch it to 20+. (Jaime, for instance) Hopefully GRRM will deliver TWoW by spring 2015 before season 5 starts and ADoS by the same time in 2018. At that show pace, I don't think they'd exceed 8 seasons, but maybe that's good. Really season 5 is where GoT either falls off a cliff or keeps the momentum to actually finish properly.

I still don't think Quent is really needed, as someone else could release the Dragons, and Doran will make an informed decision on who to back anyway, but I agree they could fit him in as long as his travels are cut out.

Another thread has D & D saying no new locations for S4, so that probably means no Volantis and no Braavos till S5. So forget that theory.

Is this show locations or shooting locations? I don't think we'll be seeing Volantis next season but Braavos could be shot in one of their current locations (most likely a studio).

Is this show locations or shooting locations? I don't think we'll be seeing Volantis next season but Braavos could be shot in one of their current locations (most likely a studio).

I always thought Venice, naturally but I suppose they could shoot it in a studio. Queue fog machines!

They can shoot everything in Dubrovnik, a city by the sea... and if they're not satisfied, Venice is really close :)

Regarding Quentyn, I always assumed this would make good television: Episode with no Dany, Arianne is brought before Doran who scolds her for the escape attempt, they talk and end with "Fire and Blood", screen goes over still with the voice over and we see Dany in her throne room, and Quentyn says who he is (first time for the audience as well) and brings up the alliance proposal, Episode end.

As for merging Meeren and Volantis. I can't see that after they have mentioned Meeren in the show now (or rather, the Meerenese Knot). If you want to do that, which is certainly a possibility, much of the Volantis action of the books switches to Pentos I guess. It's doable, but I don't really see what you would gain by it.

One big argument against Dany's story so far brought up by non-book readers that although she's an engaging character, her plot and her 'opposites'/'villains' are very straightforward and black and white. So I guess that Meeren would be the one place that would gain traction by staying longer as opposed to "speeding" through the story. Just ticking of boxes is certainly the wrong way to go. I rather expect them to create two season arc for Meeren, one where she conquers it and rules it well, locking her dragons in for safety and so on, and one where everything goes to hell splendidly and she leaves at the end. Build up the characters there! (And the main problem for Dany's arc is the 'lag' to set up her suitors (i.e. the Ironborn, Aegon, Martells) or tell their whole story (Tyrion) before she can move on)

As for Yunkai in the screenshots, looks magnificient...

Archived