[Book Spoilers] Yunkai

Theres nothing more nauseating than someone who thinks the sun shines out of D&D's asses and gets overly defensive when someone criticises them. Theyre doing a good job but theyve also done alot WRONG. Not to mention they flat out dont even understand certain characters. (Stannis)and put way too much emphasis on the ones they like (Theon).

My posts were edited earlier and anything you quote now is taken heavily out of context. Please, everyone else is following this rule, do not lash out at me.

[mod] Personal bickering has been deleted.

Stick to discussing the show, not each other. Do not test me on this. [/mod]

I always thought Venice, naturally but I suppose they could shoot it in a studio. Queue fog machines!

I agree, and it's probably more likely considering most other stuff has been shot on-location. Just saying Braavos isn't completely ruled out next season. I imagine they'll end with her leaving Westeros though.

I think it's a good thing to put Yunkai in, and I'm quite sure Meereen will be in too. If they cut either or merged them, Dany would have even less to do in seasons to come. This way they can delay Dany getting to Meereen, flesh out Yunkai with some added storyline that may very well include the warlocks, who in my opinion will be Dany's main opponents on the show (more plots and assassination attempts), first to give her something to do, and second to make it more plausible that she cannot leave for Westeros sooner.

Emila Clark plays the arrogant bitch persona well. She is so good as an actress it makes me hate Dany's character even more. For the record, slavery sucks, it is just that when her "dreamy" Drogo was killing and raping and enslaving to buy their way to Westeros, it did not bother her except she felt pitty for MMD. What a hippocrit. I love miss Clarke though, great actess.

I'm assuming the Yunkish guy speaking Westerosi is a comment on the extraordinary privilege and education of the Wise Masters (or whatever they're called in the series).

They're probably far more educated than Westerosi nobles since that's often what happens when the martial tradition withers and the nobility is excessively pampered and supported by a slave class (e.g. classical Greece and numerous dynasties in China).

Emila Clark plays the arrogant bitch persona well. She is so good as an actress it makes me hate Dany's character even more. For the record, slavery sucks, it is just that when her "dreamy" Drogo was killing and raping and enslaving to buy their way to Westeros, it did not bother her except she felt pitty for MMD. What a hippocrit. I love miss Clarke though, great actess.

She did what was within her power to try and ease the suffering of the Lamb women. When she finally got complete power over her khalasar, she ended slavery. It's nothing to do with hypocrisy; it's about the limitations of power.

Do you think they will show Dany leaving former slaves in charge of yunkai since they didnt show it in astapor and in a way combine yunkai with Astapor so when she gets to Mareen she'll get the news that they were making unsullied n back to slave trade?

Would not be surprised. I actually wish they had addressed the state she left Astapor in, since Grazdan makes it sound as if it was just a straight atrocity.

Would not be surprised. I actually wish they had addressed the state she left Astapor in, since Grazdan makes it sound as if it was just a straight atrocity.

At the end of Episode 4, they ought to have shown her men cutting down 12 year olds.

That shot of of Dany freeing the unsullied and them matching out was great, maybe she will just talk about it once she gets news of what happened in yunkai after she left. Even in the books iirc they didn't show her talking with the men she puts in charge.

This. It was considered an atrocity because it was a fucking atrocity!

I understand that D & D wanted the scene to display Dany's cruelty, as well as her empathy. But, I doubt if many people came away from that scene thinking that Dany had been cruel. Showing her men carrying out the orders they were given in the book would have done that, IMHO.

Seems to me that by showing Yunkai AT ALL, they guarantee that all 3 Slavers' Bay cities are in play substantially like in the books. It won't really work to just have all the Mereen events happen in Yunkai, since enmity WITH YUNKAI is a big driver of the events in Mereen. I guess it COULD be just Yunkai's "powerful friends." (shades of Princess Leia?) presumably Volantis, assembling Merc bands to ferry the Dornish over by accident, turn cloaks back and forth, encamped outside the city with dysentary, etc. But that seems more forced than just having a different CGI cityscape for some establishing scenes.

At the end of Episode 4, they ought to have shown her men cutting down 12 year olds.

You've misinterpreted Dany's dialogue, I see. She told her Unsullied to strike down slave masters in tokars and whips but to "harm no child under twelve". But that does not equate to "kill everyone above twelve". It meant that, even if a child under twelve met her previous conditions (they were in a tokar and wearing a whip), they should not be harmed.

They should have shown her forming a council at Astapor because it showed that she put (quite revolutionary) measures in place to try and stabilise Astapor. But the problem was that she didn't leave Astapor with an army, because the Unsullied and many slaves chose to follow her instead of remaining to protect Astapor (and, as she notes, she could hardly give them freedom and then tell them they were not free to follow her).

Yunkai is not going to conquered. In the end, after the sellswords defect to Dany and defeat the Yunkishmen in the field, the slavers consent to Dany's demands and free the slaves. That's the Mhysa scene the last episode of this season will be about.

Dany does not even set a foot inside Yunkai.

In the book it's kind of murky, seems George's 'flash-back' summary gives the impression she set foot inside Yunkai long enough to punish slavers and set up a government(which she does not do a very good job of).

By the end of this season we will have only two Dany chapters left. Now if they decided to elaborate the Battle of Meereen and her setting up rule there that could take 2/3 rds of the season , then it's pulling things from Dragons , I guess.

Why is episode 8 called "Second Sons" and not " Stormcrows" ? The Seconds Sons were total loosers.

In the book it's kind of murky, seems George's 'flash-back' summary gives the impression she set foot inside Yunkai long enough to punish slavers and set up a government(which she does not do a very good job of).

By the end of this season we will have only two Dany chapters left. Now if they decided to elaborate the Battle of Meereen and her setting up rule there that could take 2/3 rds of the season , then it's pulling things from Dragons , I guess.

Why is episode 8 called "Second Sons" and not " Stormcrows" ? The Seconds Sons were total loosers.

My guess is that a) they've reduced the # of merc bands, which should not be a big problem anyway and B) "Second Sons" will refer to more than one element of the episode. For example, Tyrion is also a second son. As is Ramsay. and Jon Snow, sortof maybe, or Bran, limiting to trueborn sons.

Archived