Will Oath-Keeper or Widows-Wail return to House Stark?

I don't think the Tyrells would stoop to stealing a sword.

I think Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail will be reforged into Ice. The sword being made into two helped to symbolize the scattering of the Starks, and in the end when the Starks reunite, Ice will be reforged.

Renewed shall be the blade that was broken

I like that idea like the Tolkien reference, however im starting to think were going to figure out what the real Ice was possibly instead but tbh the old Ice coulda just been a normal steel sword because House Stark didnt have a Valryian blade

I don't think the Tyrells would stoop to stealing a sword.

I think Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail will be reforged into Ice. The sword being made into two helped to symbolize the scattering of the Starks, and in the end when the Starks reunite, Ice will be reforged.

Renewed shall be the blade that was broken

And The crownless again shall be King..

I like that idea like the Tolkien reference, however im starting to think were going to figure out what the real Ice was possibly instead but tbh the old Ice coulda just been a normal steel sword because House Stark didnt have a Valryian blade

There's no way Eddard could comfortably wield a huge two-handed great sword made of steel as easily as he does throughout the series. It would have to be something much lighter.

The smith says that it was Valyrian steel, and that's why his attempts to dye the blade red didn't work properly. The ripples are commented and it's known that Valyrian steel has a distinctive look that even Sansa can spot immediately after Ice is reforged.

There's no way Eddard could comfortably wield a huge two-handed great sword made of steel as easily as he does throughout the series. It would have to be something much lighter.

The smith says that it was Valyrian steel, and that's why his attempts to dye the blade red didn't work properly. The ripples are commented and it's known that Valyrian steel has a distinctive look that even Sansa can spot immediately after Ice is reforged.

The scottish used claymores that were as big or bigger and they used them pretty effectively why couldnt Eddard? and by the way i was talking about the original Ice being regular steel. The Ice Eddard had wasnt the original it was attaines afterwards through Dragonstone i believe.

The scottish used claymores that were as big or bigger and they used them pretty effectively why couldnt Eddard? and by the way i was talking about the original Ice being regular steel. The Ice Eddard had wasnt the original it was attaines afterwards through Dragonstone i believe.

Oh, I see what you mean.

The Starks probably didn't have an ancestral sword before Ice, but if they did then it's 100% certain it wasn't Valyrian steel. Their line goes back further than the Valyrian Empire.

Oh, I see what you mean.

The Starks probably didn't have an ancestral sword before Ice, but if they did then it's 100% certain it wasn't Valyrian steel. Their line goes back further than the Valyrian Empire.

The thing was it was ancestral the original Ice came down fron Brandon the Builder in the Age of Heroes. I know its not Valryian steel but someone earlier said it coulda have been an Others blade or something of that nature which is pretty intersting. However everything in the Age of Heroes is skeptical at best.

• 1 year later...

has anyone considered how the significance of the swords new names. They are a perfect match for Catlyn and Ned. Oathkeeper - Ned the most honourable man in westeros and widows wail - Signifies catlyns loss of her children and her husband. reminds me of the scream when robb died

Actually, one handed swords are harder to use than the two-handed swords because with two hands you can split the load to your both arms. Not to mention you can deal heavier blows and do more advanced moves using two hands while less stress is developing at your wrists.

has anyone considered how the significance of the swords new names. They are a perfect match for Catlyn and Ned. Oathkeeper - Ned the most honourable man in westeros and widows wail - Signifies catlyns loss of her children and her husband. reminds me of the scream when robb died

I've heard this comparison before and agree the names are fitting, especially for Catelyn.

Still, I don't think it is an indication of the eventual fate of the two new blades.

A Song of Ice and Fire is a tale of irrevocable actions, and that includes unfair, cruel, and totally bogus actions.

Instead, I think there will be a karmic exchange of some sort. Which means the Starks are going to get a new sword. Perhaps Brightroar, the lost Lannister blade.

A great sword makes sense if your foe has so much armor on that you can't stab him. But with a big enough chunk of metal, you can give him a concussion or internal bleeding.

But the only war that really matters right now is the War for the Dawn. My sense is that Valyrian steel trumps ice swords the way ice swords trump common steel. So I would take Longclaw and Oathkeeper and whatever other Valyrian steel I could get my hands on and make as many Braavos blades as there is metal for.

I just hope Tabho Mott taught Gendry the secrets of Valyrian steel.

I hope both swords return to the house but are not reforged.

I put this forward a few times:

Ned Stark = Oathkeeper

Catelyn Stark = Widow's Wail

I love the name Widow's Wail. At first I thought it was cheesy. Joffrey conjuring up the image of him creating widows left and right with it. But when you interpret it differently, the Sword as a tool of vengeance for Widows, those created from the Red Wedding, War of Five Kings etc. That's when the name makes sense.

'Ice' was a waste of precious material, it should have been melted into 2 or 3 practical blades long time ago.

I agree sincerely. 2 VS arming swords seems much more useful. As they can be carried on the side all the time, be used on horseback and with a shield (which of course plate wearing knights wouldn't use in real life, but still do in ASOIAF)

Blackfish is gonna meet up with Uncat and crew he will tell her Jon is Lord commander and she will take half of Ice and her crew including Gendry to the wall. There they will forge Ice into Beric's sword and maybe the mystery broken sword the wildlings give Jon with the rubies into Lightbringer lol. I honestly think they portray Cat's belief's that the gods are punishing her and her confession about Jon being sick for a reason. She will honor Robb's dying wish and Thoros will make that sword blaze.

Archived