How I Met Your Mother - 4

Jaxom 1974

Great one. So far, all the episodes featuring the Mother have been the highlights of the season. I like how they write her in a way that you can really believe that she'll fit like a glove into the group.

It is rather interesting that, in this case, this girl, it's the gang who meet her before Ted ever does...Robin's intro to her should be interesting...

I honestly thought the gag of Ted braking into the liquor store was going to show he went to even more trouble than was actually necessary...

Great one. So far, all the episodes featuring the Mother have been the highlights of the season. I like how they write her in a way that you can really believe that she'll fit like a glove into the group.

Speaking of....she was wearing driving gloves as well.

Good one. They did really well picking the mother. I'm sappy but I love Marshall and Lily. I also love the idea that we all have one great love.

:)

And then they die and you tell your children how you met them....I know... :P

Like the Mother very much,she fits in the group like driving glove...and I love how they are giving her and Ted some back story without them actually having a back story.

The last time we saw Marshall and Lily use the "pause" function things got pretty bad. The fact that an entire episode is called "Unpause" suggests this will be big. Will there be a serious explosion before they reconcile?

Will there be? Probably not. Should there be? Kinda, yeah. These are the people that sends texts for support while the other is in the can and Marshall just makes the call for what his family future will be? He knows he is in the wrong for doing it, but I think it is going to explode.

Maybe that's the melancholy ending - Lily and Marshall end up breaking up.

Ok, that's far fetched. I do think Barney and Robin going through with the wedding should be seriously up in the air at some point thought.

Lily and Marshall don't break up, we've seen them further in the future than anybody.

Two things undermined the episode for me -

First, I don't buy the whole judge/italy issue. Being a judge (even in the ridiculously unbelievable way Marshall got appointed) seems like a big deal. Going to Italy for a year doesn't. Maybe I'm hugely insensitive.

Second, so Ted loves Robin so much that he has to move to Chicago but not so much that a glimpse of one woman at a train station can't destroy all the feelings he has? I know Ted is a bit of a player when it comes to true love but this seems a bit of a cheap way to dispose of Ted/Robin.

Two things undermined the episode for me -

First, I don't buy the whole judge/italy issue. Being a judge (even in the ridiculously unbelievable way Marshall got appointed) seems like a big deal. Going to Italy for a year doesn't. Maybe I'm hugely insensitive.

Second, so Ted loves Robin so much that he has to move to Chicago but not so much that a glimpse of one woman at a train station can't destroy all the feelings he has? I know Ted is a bit of a player when it comes to true love but this seems a bit of a cheap way to dispose of Ted/Robin.

Couple things though:

1. The Italy vs. Judgeship isn't about the specifics, it's about their individual dreams and what happens when one intrudes on the other. I don't know that there is a satisfactory solution that is going to make everyone (audience included) satisfied.

2. It might just be me, but I don't know if it's that Ted is "in love" with Robin anymore at this point. She's an albatross about his neck that he's just never shaken. Going to Chicago isn't, I think, about avoiding her as much as it is what he says it's meant to be: A fresh start. Now, catching the eye of a soulmate at a train station would certainly help that kind of thing, I'd think. (Of course, this is provided they decide to forget about the whole box thing from the start of the season...)

(Of course, this is provided they decide to forget about the whole box thing from the start of the season...)

No way in hell. That thing is coming back. I agree Robin/Ted outstayed its welcome (assuming it ever was) and became incredibly tedious, but having dragged it into the final weekend, there had still better be some kind of plot-resolution. Maybe Robin gets cold feet, Ted mistimes things with the locket and that sends her back to Barney, or something. I'm not so much invested on a character level as I am as a question of narrative.

Greywolf,

The problem is Marshall had to make the call right then. If he'd rejected the offer of a judgship the board would be unlikely to offer it again. Italy isn't going anywhere the offer of a place on the bench was.

Don't disagree with any of that, but the basis of their relationship is that communication. If he had to make that call, he should have immediately called Lily to explain the situation - instead he hid it.

Couple things though:

1. The Italy vs. Judgeship isn't about the specifics, it's about their individual dreams and what happens when one intrudes on the other. I don't know that there is a satisfactory solution that is going to make everyone (audience included) satisfied.

2. It might just be me, but I don't know if it's that Ted is "in love" with Robin anymore at this point. She's an albatross about his neck that he's just never shaken. Going to Chicago isn't, I think, about avoiding her as much as it is what he says it's meant to be: A fresh start. Now, catching the eye of a soulmate at a train station would certainly help that kind of thing, I'd think. (Of course, this is provided they decide to forget about the whole box thing from the start of the season...)

And also what Jax says here.

As for 2, I think he is in love with her still. Not that he wants to be with her, but he knows he will always in some way love her more than he really should. Agree with the rest, that he is trying to just get a clean slate.

No way in hell. That thing is coming back. I agree Robin/Ted outstayed its welcome (assuming it ever was) and became incredibly tedious, but having dragged it into the final weekend, there had still better be some kind of plot-resolution. Maybe Robin gets cold feet, Ted mistimes things with the locket and that sends her back to Barney, or something. I'm not so much invested on a character level as I am as a question of narrative.

Oh I know. I don't think it will go away. It would have been easier if it had. But seeing as this show is really good at keeping its internal chronology and history in good order, we know it'll be back.

Just like the slap that's coming to Barney wasn't forgotten.

That's cool.

I rewatched the rhyming episode the other day, while waiting for the snow to melt...at one point, old!Ted is telling his kids the story of Marshall telling his kid the story of Barney telling the gang the story of killing all those other Barneys. That's more layers than Inception, all filtered through unreliable narrators, in rhyme. This might be my favorite episode.

Archived