The Best Casting and Worst Casting (in your opinion).

Conor

Why do people keep suggesting super-handsome men as Ned? The show has done that too with casting Sean Bean, but he didn't actually fit the description of Ned as a plain-looking guy who came off as a disappointment compared to his brother when Cat first saw him.

Does it really matter, in an adaptation of the books? And I doubt that selecting a "super-handsome" man was behind these choices.

Why do people keep suggesting super-handsome men as Ned? The show has done that too with casting Sean Bean, but he didn't actually fit the description of Ned as a plain-looking guy who came off as a disappointment compared to his brother when Cat first saw him.

Yeah, but Sean Bean was just so good as Ned. Like...perfect.

Sean Bean was magnificent as Ned and I think he should be considered handsome.

My idea of Richard Armitage as Ned isn’t because of his “handsomeness” but rather that I think he has the Stark look, give him a thick beard and raggedy clothes and I think he easily pulls off the stern Northerner and can definitely pull off being Benjen’s brother. I also would like to see the actor who played Benjen have a shot at playing Ned.

You're dealing with a different medium and different audience.

Sean Bean is not bad looking, but he has the harsh features and bashed in face of a craggy good looking man, which would fit this harsh medieval environment.

Look at Ric Armtiage he is veering a little too much to the pretty boy thing, while still have some craggyness. Good for Brandon, maybe.

Where did this notion that Eddard is supposed to be "plain" come from?

In the books Catelyn thinks Ned's not as handsome as Brandon, but that doesn't mean he's plain. One brother being considered more attractive by people than the other doesn't mean the less attractive one is ugly or plain. Both can be handsome with one being more handsome than the other.

The way Ned's described by GRRM sounds handsome to me.

Where did this notion that Eddard is supposed to be "plain" come from?

In the books Catelyn thinks Ned's not as handsome as Brandon, but that doesn't mean he's plain. One brother being considered more attractive by people than the other doesn't mean the less attractive one is ugly or plain. Both can be handsome with one being more handsome than the other.

The way Ned's described by GRRM sounds handsome to me.

You're reaching at straws. No one ever describes Ned as handsome in the books; Cat was disappointed when she first saw him, and even though she's meanwhile really fallen in love with him and often thinks longingly of him in her POVs after he's dead, she never mentions anything about him being handsome.

You're reaching at straws. No one ever describes Ned as handsome in the books; Cat was disappointed when she first saw him, and even though she's meanwhile really fallen in love with him and often thinks longingly of him in her POVs after he's dead, she never mentions anything about him being handsomeAre

Yet she doesn't describe him as plain either, but rather as having a plainer face than Brandon. If you can't find a statement in the books which supports your opinion, kindly steer away from contradicting others.

According to the tale of the KotLT, Elia was pretty. Yet, Barristan says she's common compared to Ashara. Ned is probably not so impressive as Brandon, that doesn't mean he's ugly.

Yeah, that seems to be a theme in this series. Kevan says Lyanna was common compared to Cersei, Jaime says Cersei's the most beautiful woman alive, but in Robert's eyes Cersei can't compare to Lyanna. Maybe Brandon was Cat's dream guy and fit everything she wanted in a man and Ned just didn't fit her ideal.

According to the tale of the KotLT, Elia was pretty. Yet, Barristan says she's common compared to Ashara. Ned is probably not so impressive as Brandon, that doesn't mean he's ugly.

Plain =/= ugly.

Nobody said Ned was a Quasimodo. But he clearly was not a matinee idol type.

Yeah, that seems to be a theme in this series. Kevan says Lyanna was common compared to Cersei, Jaime says Cersei's the most beautiful woman alive, but in Robert's eyes Cersei can't compare to Lyanna. Maybe Brandon was Cat's dream guy and fit everything she wanted in a man and Ned just didn't fit her ideal.

He was clearly not, since Cat of AGOT and later books is very much in love with Ned and doesn't have any "Ohh, if only I had married Brandon!" thoughts at all (I don't think her feelings for Brandon were ever that serious, anyway), enjoys sex with Ned and later misses him after he dies thinks longingly of his arms around her etc.... but she still never says anything about Ned being handsome.

I think that is always the case when all out information comes from points of views.

It helps the whole mystery that GRR likes to create.

And it is because of this that there is no right or wrong. In cases in which GRRM doesn't straight out say someone is plain to everyone who sees him or her, why try to shove ones own imagined appearance of a character down other people's throats?

And it is because of this that there is no right or wrong. In cases in which GRRM doesn't straight out say someone is plain to everyone who sees him or her, why try to shove ones own imagined appearance of a character down other people's throats?

Huh? GRRM never says anything "straight out" in the books. There is no omniscient narrator. Everything comes through POV narrators.

Archived