My Monster Euro-Trip.

James Arryn

Did I read Cologne in your first post??? :D

Hope you haven't been here yet! :eek:

Feel free to contact me if when you'll be here. :)

I'm a native citizen of Cologne and would be very happy to meet you! :)

have been to koln, but only briefly. I would love to meet, and will let you know as time draws closer. :)

I'm from Munich, and i kinda have a love-hate relationship with this city, but if you want I can show you the cooler places or tell you where they are. There is actually a lot to see offside the tourist traps. For example, just go into the Hofbräuhaus for a few photo shots, it's packed with asians 24/7 and is overpriced and just not that great. There are cooler beerhalls here. Munich residence is impressive if you are interested in that, and try to lay down in the English Garden with an Augustiner Beer at least once. There are some cool clubs if you are into that kind of stuff.

Oh, and the Deutsches Museum is a must-have in Munich. German engineering ftw.

Besides that, should check out Neuschwanstein because it's kinda like a must-have even though it's so cliche. In Burghausen you can check out the longest castle in the world and in Salzburg there is the oldest cable car in the world which you can ride uphill to Salzburg fortress. And if you like the dreary stuff there is the concentration camp Dachau, the first Nazi concentration camp. Everything is located under 1:30h from Munich.

Oh, and if you are in Barcelona, go check out Montserrat. And in South France Carcassone.

have been to Carcassonne...cool yhi there, within the walls...but didn't make Montserrat, and will thus time. As for rest, wow, thanks for all the info, and if you are free when I am heading that way, would welcome exploiting your knowledge more. cheers and will stay in touch. Will now pass out.

Moral of the story: never keep anything in your back pockets. Ever.

yes. They somehow got past my foolproof button system, the bastards. mex guy said same, immediately put everything in folded up money belt stuffed deep into front pocket, which he said is much harder to pick.

have been to Carcassonne...cool yhi there, within the walls...but didn't make Montserrat, and will thus time. As for rest, wow, thanks for all the info, and if you are free when I am heading that way, would welcome exploiting your knowledge more. cheers and will stay in touch. Will now pass out.

Yeah, feel free to message me when you are here :)

Regarding your question, yes you can see the alpes from Munich, unless it's not super cloudy. I can even see them from my own balcony. It takes 45 min to get to the first smaller mountains (Tegernsee region is nice) and arround 2 hours find yourself inbetween the highest peaks of Europe :)

And yeah, people are snobbish, and you definitly will take notice of that, but there is also a large variety of alternative scenes, art and culture in general.

Sounds cool, though. As in interesting, not un-warm. If you had seen me sweating a river yesterday, you might uninvited. I have a blue shirt whose sleeves now have white bands of salt decorating them.

i've spent the whole day yesterday on this lake in belgrade, watching red bull flugtag.

we were sitting in a cafe on the beach, in the shade and all that and i could still feel how my t-shirt was damp from sweat.

luckily, i could've jumped in the water from time to time to cool mysel off.

heat is brutal but luckily, the forecast is for a bit cooler weather after monday - some 20-25 degrees celsius max.

it will definitely come as a relief.

Moral of the story: never keep anything in your back pockets. Ever.

I keep all my money in my back pockets... Maybe the moral of the story is never go to France?

James - Are you Samantha Brick? She's the only other person alive who so many people give so much free stuff to for no reason!

And you're a Londoner? Tsk tsk. I was always told never to put anything in my back pockets. That said, my mum once had the bottom of her bag slit and everything stolen. Say one thing for thieves, they're not stupid :laugh:

Not going to France goes without saying, I thought.

But I live in the safest part of London, once you look past the organised crime, the startling amount of drug dealers and all the art students from Goldsmiths.

And I am decidedly not a Londoner. I just live here, for my sins...

The bag slitting is inventive.

And you're a Londoner? Tsk tsk. I was always told never to put anything in my back pockets. That said, my mum once had the bottom of her bag slit and everything stolen. Say one thing for thieves, they're not stupid :laugh:

Not going to France goes without saying, I thought.

For some reason men born in the 40s and 50s here in Sweden insist to have their wallet in the back pocket (also police officers like my dad and my father in law). When my father in law was in Paris with his then wife( who was also a police officer), three guys tried to pickpocket them in the subway. Bad idea. These guys got to learn what pain meant :devil:

I wish I had more than 3 weeks in Europe. There was still so much I wanted to do there but yeah, inflexible ticket departure date and work forced me back. Although I did do quite a bit already there including exploring a new country while staying as a guest of the former Prime Minister and going to that Neon Splash event.

I did not get around to that tour of the Dutch Parliament. Maybe next year...

TGV from Paris to Milan broke down md-route. hours waiting for bus, took forever, got here after last train to village where I have a lovely room sitting unoccupied. whereas I, after trying over 20 hotels and being told that convention made finding a safer park an advisable sleeping option, finally found a double in the sketchiest hotel I have been in.

Was directed here by a hooker. she is currently next door, though the shouting and pounding on walls might mean she is only temporary. hard to say...was asked to share room by strange guy, who followed me up needing increasing dissuasion. have not responded to 2 knocks on door since arriving...

only one diffused light in room, toilet with no seat next to bed, phone, lamp, etc. non-functioning. Window blocked immovable heavy plastic shutter type screen that i can't see through. am going to avoid bed, have already garbage bagged luggage. Basically wait it out until train station opens in morning.

yeah, all this after spending last day in Paris with my head in a toilet.

The glamour, the excitement, the adventure of travel. Someone remind me. I need a refesher ATM.

What is it with Italy about these things? To this day, I can't figure out if I did or did not mistake an invitation to breakfast for a request for oral sex from a truck driver outside Venice five years ago.

...See, it's fun to tell now.

What is it with Italy about these things? To this day, I can't figure out if I did or did not mistake an invitation to breakfast for a request for oral sex from a truck driver outside Venice five years ago.

...See, it's fun to tell now.

And yet this is nowhere on the Lonely Planet books. People need to know.

In retrospect I should have twigged quicker. I did stop myself from the 'are you ok? ' lunge that was my first reaction, and could have ended God knows where. Then I went all 'I knew all along' cool and waved her off, and was heading away when she told me with less confusing body language tat there were vacancies here.

At least I hope that was what that meant. That or I need to go back to school.

Archived