My Monster Euro-Trip.

James Arryn

Thanks, guys. I don't think it's brave, though...people generally are cool, and if they are themselves travelling and/or Australian, they're usually the relaxed social type anyways. Drac, you offered to meet me, for example, and all you know about me is I love the sound of my own voice ( in Internet form). :) So that's you, being just as brave without even thinking about it. Now, to add to your information and lessen your corage Re: meeting me: tonight has good news and bad news:

Bad: am off to do a super kitschy Jack the Ripper tour, which was 100% my idea.

Good: have managed to rope in 5 others to join me, God help 'em.

Cheers for now.

LOL enjoy the tour. kitsch isn't always bad.

Probably not, but coupled with 'serial killer enthusiast' it probably doesn't make someone say to themselves THAT is someone I have to meet.

FTR, am not in any way a serial killer enthusiast. Ripper only one I have any interest in, and mainly derived from historical/Sherlock Holmes cross-over interests.nBut, still, doesn't look great on the CV.

Btw, the guide is purported by London Walks to be the world's leading authority on Jack the Ripper, begging the question 'what's the rubric here?'

Bax, If Istanbul happens, I will almost certainly be hitting you up.

i can't recommend istanbul enough, especially if you'll be coming to my neighbourhood on your way ;)

here's a website of an english guy who walked through serbia north-to-south a couple of months back and is now planing another walking tour through serbia which is about to start soon.

maybe, his views may be interesting to you and/or other board members

http://becauseitisthere.co.uk/

Probably not, but coupled with 'serial killer enthusiast' it probably doesn't make someone say to themselves THAT is someone I have to meet.

FTR, am not in any way a serial killer enthusiast. Ripper only one I have any interest in, and mainly derived from historical/Sherlock Holmes cross-over interests.nBut, still, doesn't look great on the CV.

Btw, the guide is purported by London Walks to be the world's leading authority on Jack the Ripper, begging the question 'what's the rubric here?'

Hahaha, I aint judging. I did my year 11 History project on Jack the Ripper.

Ok, so, Ripper walk was AWESOME!

Didn't get to sleep until 5ish, and at 8:30 a guy had locked his key inside his locker, and they were trying to pick the lock and/or machismo it open. I told them the desk would have cutters with little discernible irritation in my voice, and soon enough the bolt cutters made their appearance. Had been planning on long lie-in and skipping breakfast, but as I was up anyway, might as well.

Now am bak in bed, waiting to get back to sleep, and updating.

ok, so...walk was just über-cool. Not too much new information, though some new angles. But the guide was charismatic and versed, pretty clearly an actor, and just cool. Friends had amazing time, just kept talking about how incredible an experience it was. Over 150 customers last night, and they do this every night!

Later, beers, fun, missed last tube and walked home. Not too drunk, but figure out this reasoning: 3 of us left at end...Aussie girl, her awesome film-student friend, and me. I have farther to go. She insists on walking me to hostel. Her friend says he should come, as girl walking alone at 3 am unwise. She insists she can take care of herself. I have managed to get lost in London several times in remarkably short order, so am not above accepting. She walks me all the way home. Latent chivalry notices several creepy guys checking her out so, decide she should get me to where I am going and then I will walk HER back.

Which we do. She says security is lax there and I should come in, might be able to crash in hers ...had it to herself when she left But as we get to her room an unhappy girl walks out and gives us v. unwelcoming look, as she is not dressed. Aussie girl offers to walk me back to mine...I am so tired I half agree, and we are almost down to Hyde when brain awakes and I realize we are about to do the same waltz to nowhere AGAIN.

Duh.

So I point this out and we laugh and I get her up the street to hers, get home, and Italian guys are still awake and worked up about FIFA match, come running to tell me about it like I am a paisan, very cool welcome back. But could not help sensing my head would have made a better football...almost covered the same walk 5 times, for God's sake.

Okay, other moments...the Welsh construction guy knows the Gaucho-cum-deli owner I mentioned before, as the latter had previously tried to close down a Reno he was doing next door to deli. What are the odds? He had very un-nice things to say about him and, later in conversation, warned me off Soho because there's 'a lot if that, like'.

My blank stare engendered further oblique references to do something I felt sure I should be understanding...street crime? Overzealous drug trade? Foxes?...until he finally came lean, meaning homophobia. Okay...liked him well enough, and didn't want to start argument, so I just said in Toronto it's a non-issue. Normally I say I am w/e someone is expounding in the anti...gay, Black, etc....and let them sputter their way to a second thought, but this guy had been really kind and helped me out middle of the night when I'd locked myself out, so sort of awkwardly avoided argument while making it clear we did not have the understanding he thought we had. Not sure how I now feel about that response...seems the worst of both worlds.

I had forgotten how blasé Scandinavians are about nudity. The 18 year old Danish girl wandered over with just 'shorts' on to return convertor her brother had borrowed, checked out weather at window next to my bunk, then came and sat on bed for chat. I was trying to remain cool...roomies often in various states of undress, etc., but this girl and I had barely spoken previously, and the main sensation inside me was dreading one of her brothers or someone else walking in.

I may very well have sputtered out the old 'it's not what it looks like!' protest, completely losing my 3 cents of street cred acquired over the years. But mercifully she didn't stay long enough to find out...just long enough for me to feel I am losing my élan. :(

Did I mention Ripper tour, big thumbs up? The main guy was a no show, but we had a Richard Walker, and he rocked. Said he grew up in the 50s and 60s, but had energy of a teen and we were hard pressed to keep up between talking spots.

Okay, typed out for now. Wish someone here was from London, though. No one I have met reads or watches, though everyone has heard about it. apparently streaming in Australia was so common it was causing network issues, and they had to open up an access line for people to 'buy' the show each week via Internet.

i can't recommend istanbul enough, especially if you'll be coming to my neighbourhood on your way ;)

here's a website of an english guy who walked through serbia north-to-south a couple of months back and is now planing another walking tour through serbia which is about to start soon.

maybe, his views may be interesting to you and/or other board members

http://becauseitisthere.co.uk/

Hey Bax!

Hope you don't think I thought you were in Istanbul, man. Just meant if flooding does deviate my northward thrust and am doing Istsnbul, then more Balkans would fit, if you get me. Still worried about being baked, though...don't sleep too well in major heat/humidity, and air conditioned hostels and the like basically don't exist. Aussie girl says she has found a really cool hostel..pronounced haws-TELLE by Aussies, lol, but I doubt it has AC.

Wanted to read your link, but can't get past the 3 link menu page. :(

Sounds like you're having a terrific time! Enjoying reading these updates so far. The general enthusiasm for life is reassuring.

Lol, thanks! In all my travels I get the same reassurance. Seriously, in general people are good to amazing when you engage them or ask for help, I find. So many memories of out of the world kindness, kinship, and sheer fun. I have and will have those low moments...puking my guts out in the hostel shared toilet for what seemed like a year after an over ambitious night at Delirium in Brussels springs to mind, and another Looong day earlier in his trip I'll write about later, but they are ephemeral and overwhelmed by the other side.

I tell everyone I know to travel as much as possible. Don't need to save up, either. Hotels, Couchsurfing, carpool Europe etc. make going cheap a real option.

I find that I preconceive trips about places, but they invariably become about people.

No doubt. :) My best memories traveling are from talking to strangers in small town pubs.

Glad you're having such an awesome time.

I was in London a few years ago and opted not to do the Ripper tour, since I figured it'd be lame... My loss!

Keep up these reports and continue staying safe.

Glad to see your European trip is paying off! I just got back from my first trip back since I lived there, and as always, I fell in love every single day with another city or country. There's so much to see, and the fact that you have four and a half months means you'll get to witness a large chunk of it. Enjoy yourself!

Hey Bax!

Hope you don't think I thought you were in Istanbul, man. Just meant if flooding does deviate my northward thrust and am doing Istsnbul, then more Balkans would fit, if you get me. Still worried about being baked, though...don't sleep too well in major heat/humidity, and air conditioned hostels and the like basically don't exist. Aussie girl says she has found a really cool hostel..pronounced haws-TELLE by Aussies, lol, but I doubt it has AC.

Wanted to read your link, but can't get past the 3 link menu page. :(

i know what you meant, don't worry ;)

as for the heat, we've now finally gotten rid of rain and clouds but are now having somewhat of a heat-wave.

forecast says we're to have max temperatures over 30 degrees every day for at least a week though it would hardly come as a surprise if it turned out to be for next 2-3 months.

today i had to show up in court to get some paperwork done and courts don't allow shorts (knee-length) and i had to wear jeans in this heat and take a bus. needless to say that i would've looked far better in shorts than i did in jeans all sweaty and red-faced.

on the subject of the link i posted, check out the guys blog.

from what i remember, he's from manchester and was cycling to istanbul a couple of years ago when he ran into some difficulty with some visa so he planned to spend a week or so in belgrade with some of his friends. ended up staying for 2-3 months and loved it. did his walking tour last winter, is planning another these days.

Bax- yikes. Is AC common? will try link again.

Everyone else, thanks so much for the encouragement. Latest plan is an overnight bus to Paris tomorrow night, with pub send-off beforehand near Victoria Station. Not very chic, arriving in Paris on a bus, but they've seen worse.

Ok, so, super weirdness... have been seriously hit on by teenagers 4 times in last day and a half. Not like crushing on me or w/e like you get, but full out no beating around the bush, let's get naked, hit on.

At least one is still in HS ( gymnasium, they call it)...WTF? It happens, but four in under 2 days?

Am having seriously bad night, will explain more later, but am a bit freaked right now. I know European woman are definitely more equal opp. with sexual advances, but girls?!?

Am on Leicester Square! Bought a suit earlier near Oxford Circus, am now quaffing something pink in a busy bar (Verve) getting looks for Ipad from other male customers. But being Brits, when I look directly back, they look away or nod and smile. My own personal fave is the 'pretend you were looking past them' move, one which poor eyesight has had me master over the years.

Have been invited into inner 'mirror' bar. Dunno if that's good or bad. If I don't make it out alive, please tell my family I died heroically fighting off a...what do they have here? many pigeons...a swarm of pigeons that were threatening a cute baby, holding a crippled puppy. Yes.

only pigeons sounds a bit wimpy, which goes with the pink drink, but not inner steel I am convinced I have, deep down. So maybe instead of pigeons, dragons. Yes, better, but for the sake of veritas, call it a big mean pink dragon. who would make that up?

Tourist Dies Saving Cripple Puppy Wielding Baby Twins (!) From Terrible Pink Dragon. Queen Flies Flag At Half Mast. Day Of National Mourning Declared. Twins Retroactively Named James and Aaron. In Other News, 136 Year Old Record For Longest Headline Eclipsed!

Edit: reads like I am talking about a strip bar. I am not. You'll feel bad for thinking that when they find my dragon-torn corpse.

Bax- yikes. Is AC common? will try link again.

yeah, AC is pretty much the only thing that keeps us going on weird-hot periods of the year.

still, getting to work and back home and going around town can't really be classified as a pleasant experience.

Archived