My Monster Euro-Trip.

James Arryn

Okay, so tomorrow I set sail (well, flight) for Europe for a 4.5 month extravaganza. Subject to change, my itinerary looks roughly like this: London for a quick stop, on the Hastings to sate history nerdness, then onto Minehead to do the Southwest Coast Path, at least as far as Padstow, then London again, then onto Rome, up to Milan, the Lakes, down to Isernia, over to Corfu, up to Venice, off to Madrid, then Barcelona, then Paris, Lyon, then Lucern, Bern, Lauterbrunnen, Zurich, Munich, Rothenburg, Heidelburg, Koln, Budapest, Melk, Vienna, Salzburg, Innsbruk, back to Zurich, then Prague, Krakow, Gdansk, Stockholm, Helsinki, Talinn, either Kiev or Minsk, Berlin, Edinburgh, walk the West Highland Way, Glasgow, Dublin, Chester, York, Oxford, and back to London for finale. I welcome any advice. I have been to many of these places before, but am still learning, and many are first timers for me. Also, if you are in any of these places, let me know and maybe we can arrange to meet for a drink where I likely won't beg you to put me up for the night. :) Also, I am so annoyed with not being able to break up my posts into paragraphs. Anyone know what the issue could be? This would be so much more readable If I could spread it out.

I'm down Plymouth way, Padstow isn't too far away from me I believe. Will also be back near London in August until early September.

Sounds like an epic trip! I hope you have a great time :D

Edit: I live in student accommodation with other girls so I couldn't offer a place to stay unfortunately!

I'm down Plymouth way, Padstow isn't too far away from me I believe. Will also be back near London in August until early September.

Sounds like an epic trip! I hope you have a great time :D

Edit: I live in student accommodation with other girls so I couldn't offer a place to stay unfortunately!

lol, well, I DO live as the only man with 6 student age women, have for years, so am house broken, but I fully understand! :) But lets see if we can at least hook up for a drink or dinner if we overlap.

Any way you could swap out Kyiv for Lviv? Lviv is much nicer place to visit.

You are the second person to suggest that. My Mom went to Kiev in her 20's, and loved it...but if Lviv has the history without the gangsters, I'm becoming convinced.

Oh, also, for any potential meet-ups, my pic is on the Rogue's gallery, so you would know who to look for. Not my best pic; look tired, but I imagine there's a good chance I'm tired when we meet, too. :)

I'll be going to Europe in 4 days. I'll be in the Netherlands most of the time but I will be in Stockholm on the 7-8th of June. From the 9th to the 12th I'll be in Latvia (mostly Riga) but what's special about that is that my host and tour guide will be the former Prime Minister! After that, I'll be flying back to the Netherlands and will be there until the 18th. I feel kinda sad I will miss at least 3 Game of Thrones episodes on HBO Asia because I'm on vacation.

Visit Latvia, the 4th most forested country in the EU...

lol, well, I DO live as the only man with 6 student age women, have for years, so am house broken, but I fully understand! :) But lets see if we can at least hook up for a drink or dinner if we overlap.

Depending on when it is, as most of my housemates will be gone by July, I'll see what I can do. Might even be a bed going spare, rather than just the sofa. No promises though! :P Where are you staying otherwise, hostels?

Yeah definitely let me know when you'll be passing through, either in Devon/Cornwall or London :D

Also, I am so annoyed with not being able to break up my posts into paragraphs. Anyone know what the issue could be? This would be so much more readable If I could spread it out.

James, the exact same thing happened to me, after the last Windows update (I assume they are connected). I posted about it, and several people said they too had the issue, so they switched out of Explorer into another search engine and the problem cleared up. When I use Chrome to go into Westeros, the problem disappears. And have a great trip, it sounds fabulous.

if you happen to change your plans and take a detour south from budapest to belgrade, i'll be happy to show you around.

either way, i hope you enjoy your journey.

it does sound epic and i envy you on the opportunity to take it.

Sounds like an amazing trip! And my (totally biased) recommendation is for you to hop over to Lisbon, it's only an 1 hour flight away from Madrid :P

Yes, Lisbon is really nice. I'm going to stay in Lisbon, Coruche and Setubal in July.

There's not much to do/see in Lyon proper. A few really good restaurants but that's about it. However, be sure to stop and have ice cream at Terre Adélice in rue St Jean, best ice cream you'll ever have and some really unique flavors (goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes, absinthe. Their cocoa sorbet is to die for...)

If you want Paris or Lyon suggestions (or more generally, France) don't hesitate to ask.

Bern during the summer is so great.

Sounds pretty amazing! Have you been to Austria before? I spent a month in Innsbruck a couple years ago. Travelled around a fair bit and you definitely won't lack for things to do. Hiking up Patscherkoffel was great, as was the Krimml falls, though the latter is a short train/bus ride away. Can also check out Hall-in-Tirol (five minutes by train), which is an amazingly preserved mediaeval town.

Otherwise I was in Vienna, Salzburg (ultra-touristy), Zurich (lovely and expensive, though the anthropology museum was pretty cool), Munich, Verona (go there!), and Venice.

Are you thinking to stay in hostels? If so check out the Wombat locations in Vienna and (I think) Munich.

Archived