My Monster Euro-Trip.

James Arryn

Missed this before.

A lovely friend/ ex-roomie put me up near Norport (?) for over a week, and then took me to her family's place in Aaarhus. We we t out to their allotment, where I had...no idea how to spell it...schmeuble?...and schnapps. I had had the schnapps before, which was fortunate, because I washed it down repeatedly, whereupon my friend's father...who I think mistook our relationship...turned to her and said 'This is a good man!'

:)

But CPH...love it. And everyone in Denmark speaks perfect English, for which they apologize.

Sørebrø?

Just saw this.

I'm so jealous, James. I backpacked solo around Europe between high school and college for 6 months (*cough*earlyninties*cough*) and had the time of my life. I didn't go as far east or north as you, since I was using a friend's house near Venice as my base of operations and took some classes while there.

So, I am book marking this thread to read your updates and (re)live vicariously through you. :)

One piece of advice (that you are already following): feel free to change plans as the opportunities arise (and they will). I had everything planned out before I went too, but then hooked up with some folks on occasional outings/destinations that became some of my best memories. If you meet up with other travelers you get along with, join them for as long as you want. Then move on.

Have fun and stay safe! :cheers:

Just saw this.

I'm so jealous, James. I backpacked solo around Europe between high school and college for 6 months (*cough*earlyninties*cough*) and had the time of my life. I didn't go as far east or north as you, since I was using a friend's house near Venice as my base of operations and took some classes while there.

So, I am book marking this thread to read your updates and (re)live vicariously through you. :)

One piece of advice (that you are already following): feel free to change plans as the opportunities arise (and they will). I had everything planned out before I went too, but then hooked up with some folks on occasional outings/destinations that became some of my best memories. If you meet up with other travelers you get along with, join them for as long as you want. Then move on.

Have fun and stay safe! :cheers:

Cheers, Merlin! I really appreciate your post. I made a friend at a pub near the castle yesterday, and she told me about her adventures in Andalusia, which were a series of last-minute changes prompted by meeting people, roads being closed, and in one case being asked to bring a message of an ailing relative to another village. Just amazing, really. As much as I like to consider the places, the history, etc. of where I am going, it's always about the people you meet, in the end. I already have a ton of amazing memories, and will have many more by the end of this journey.

I will try and post updates when I can, and if WONDERFULLY LOVELY POSTERS happen to put me up or show me around, well, that's 2 updates right there! :D

Excellent, and I will keep it in mind. My trip is loosening up some, so it might be doable. I think you made the same offer in the Couchsurfing thread I made a while back...and just remembered due to your post...and it is still very kind. I will let you know as son as things firm up. One thing; does it get really hot in the Balkans in like July/August?

yeah, it gets really, REALLY hot in july/august.

close to, if not exceeding 40 degrees celsius.

if that doesn't turn you away, and your schedule allows this detour, contact me and we can meet.

as an added bonus, my birthday is on july 27th and if you're at belgrade on that day consider yourself invited :)

yeah, it gets really, REALLY hot in july/august.

close to, if not exceeding 40 degrees celsius.

if that doesn't turn you away, and your schedule allows this detour, contact me and we can meet.

as an added bonus, my birthday is on july 27th and if you're at belgrade on that day consider yourself invited :)

The heat might be a deal-breaker, but we'll see. if I am anywhere near you on the 27th, I will try like hell to make it.

On my phone, can't bleddy quote. I'm definitely up London way from around the 5th of August, and in Plymouth until then. I'm keen for a meet-up wherever tbh, Plymouth is a few hours from Bristol but if you'll be closer let me know. How you finding it so far? :D

On my phone, can't bleddy quote. I'm definitely up London way from around the 5th of August, and in Plymouth until then. I'm keen for a meet-up wherever tbh, Plymouth is a few hours from Bristol but if you'll be closer let me know. How you finding it so far? :D

Loving it!

Except for rain, but can't claim no one warned me. Was supposed to see Battle yesterday, but rain left no visibility, so going on he way today. Very excited. Also, and I know this is uber-dork, my trip out west from here means I go through: Charing Cross, London Bridge, Baker Street and Paddington stations...so cool! Although some guys I met at a pub told me the Tube is a terrible experience, except you find out which of your immediate neighbours wore enough deodorant, which I guess is educational.

Anyways, no wifi where I'm staying next, but there is a library and Internet cafe in town, so I'll be in touch about where I'm heading next. Would be very cool to hook up if it's doable. :)

The heat might be a deal-breaker, but we'll see. if I am anywhere near you on the 27th, I will try like hell to make it.

don't think it will be some huge party though :)

for years now, i take my friends out for a couple of drinks to one of the riverfront cafes near my place, we have some drinks, a few laughs and that's about it.

not really a proper representative of the highly-praised nightlife in belgrade ;)

Heh, I should have known that you live there!

I attended a conference in Muenster last week, and there was no hotel room availbale in the wohle city any more. Had to stay in Altenberge, 15 kilometers to the northwest, and to commute to the conference every day by car. Thus no drinks in the evening.

I have never experienced such a horribly sober conference in my life... :ack:

You're not still in Germany, I suppose?

But if you come again, feel invited. =o)

I know amazingly little about Muenster, but will do some research. And if I am around, that would be great.

We are a twin town to York.

And here's a link for you: Münster, my hometown.

Hope to meet you.

:cheers:

I'm vegetarian, so from what I've heard, it might actually be difficult for me to find food!

Yup, same here. I lost a few kilos after travelling around Europe for a month. Outside of England, it was so difficult to find any vegetarian food.

But seriously, that's the only complaint I have about the trip. Everything else was fantastic.

Loving it!

! Although some guys I met at a pub told me the Tube is a terrible experience

Nah, it's hardly that bad. Only thing is, don't head to the tube with a ton of luggage. Getting from the ticketing place to the platform is usually a walk and the week or so I spent there I ended up helping quite a few people with luggage. It's nice enough, they have fairly comfortable seats and it's the easiest way to get around.

Lol, I might. Has been suggested numerous times...my sister loved it there, and also said it was really cheap...and my stepmother is from the Azores. Pictures of Lisbon remind me of San Francisco.

The resemblance is due to the bridge and the trams, perhaps. And yes, it's insanely cheap (just don't take a taxi or go to any tourist traps, they'll rip you off). And the Azores are gorgeous.

A lovely friend/ ex-roomie put me up near Norport (?) for over a week, and then took me to her family's place in Aarhus. We went out to their allotment, where I had...no idea how to spell it...schmeuble?...and schnapps. I had had the schnapps before, which was fortunate, because I washed it down repeatedly, whereupon my friend's father...who I think mistook our relationship...turned to her and said 'This is a good man!'

But CPH...love it. And everyone in Denmark speaks perfect English, for which they apologize.

So awesome that you got to try Nørreport (which is a hip place in Copenhagen) and a typical Danish meal. And it seems that if you drink anything the Danes put before you, you gain their immediate respect :lol: Have you been to Sweden yet? See the løveli lakes and the majestik møøse...

Yup, same here. I lost a few kilos after travelling around Europe for a month. Outside of England, it was so difficult to find any vegetarian food.

But seriously, that's the only complaint I have about the trip. Everything else was fantastic.

Re: vegetarianism, Sweden is streets ahead when it comes to it compared to the rest of Europe. It's rare not to see vegetarian options on any menu, even in Burger King. I'm not a vegetarian but I eat veggie lots of times because it's so good (falafel :drool: )

Although some guys I met at a pub told me the Tube is a terrible experience, except you find out which of your immediate neighbours wore enough deodorant, which I guess is educational.

Rush hour the tube is the most unpleasent of experinces. The smell is something that needs to be sniffed to be belived. I am not sure if matters how much deodorant your neighbour used, it just reeks.

edit:- The metro in Paris smelt quite nice, an the American couple who showed me how to escape were very pleasent.

It doesn't sound like our Baltic times line up, but Netherlands might be doable! I only spent a few days in the Dam list time...literally stayed down the straat from the Anne Frank Museum and never went :( ...and am going to make up for that this time, I think. So I'll let you know when my plans firm up some...things are a Bit fluid ATM, as last minute changes have meant some of my destinations have proven booked up, so am reconsidering.

Do let me know and I could recommend you a couple of places to visit. I'll be visiting the Dutch parliament in the Hague and in case I pass by a certain Dutch politician in the hallways, I'm going to call out to him "You will never be Prime Minister"

don't think it will be some huge party though :)

for years now, i take my friends out for a couple of drinks to one of the riverfront cafes near my place, we have some drinks, a few laughs and that's about it.

not really a proper representative of the highly-praised nightlife in belgrade ;)

Sounds lovely either way. I'll let you know.

Archived