Would you quit the tv show if they continue ahead of the books?

TheLastTarg

Talisa will be at the RW in ep9, so either she gets killed, or turns out to be a spy. Either way, it will have the same outcome that the whole Jeyne Westerling situation did.

Just for the sake of discussion, what IF it didn't have the same outcome? What if Talisa survives and remains pregnant or she's a spy but remains pregnant? I don't know I'm just throwing thoughts out there. I'd feel like "Oh shyt, could Jeyne be pregnant in the books that haven't come out yet?

Talisa will be at the RW in ep9, so either she gets killed, or turns out to be a spy. Either way, it will have the same outcome that the whole Jeyne Westerling situation did.

Yar. Despite the changes, things do appear to be progressing the same way the books do. Adaptions do that, ya know. Change some things around but ultimately leads to the same outcome as the source material. Which is why uber purists who whine real loud crack me up.

Just for the sake of discussion, what IF it didn't have the same outcome? What if Talisa survives and remains pregnant or she's a spy but remains pregnant? I don't know I'm just throwing thoughts out there. I'd feel like "Oh shyt, could Jeyne be pregnant in the books that haven't come out yet?

Dunno, it just doesn't seem likely that the Freys would kill Robb and spare the woman that, in their eyes, caused him to break his vow. Besides, killing a pregnant woman would incite MASSIVE hatred for the Freys, which is ideally what the producers want.

I just hope the Blackfish doesn't die. It's likely that he has an important role in TWOW.

Except the main Actors are only signed up through Season #6, so I haven't heard where the producers or HBO have said they will do four more Season's after #3, which would be 7 seasons?

As far as whether I would quit the show, I will watch it as long as they don't try to cram an ending into Season #6 or make up an ending before ADOS comes out!

oh man this right here sums it up. Scares the shyt outta me. They know all the major plot points including the ending. If HBO put the pressure on to keep the show going they'd take thier own route to the endgame. Even if the very end is what GRRM had in mind, changing the events leading up to it is still changing the ending. To me anyway

I hear you, I'd still make an attempt to hide from spoilers tho

Fair enough, but I think most people don't realize what type of sacrifice that would entail. The effort itself to avoid spoilers would be exhausting, on top of the deprivation that would come with it.

Fair enough, but I think most people don't realize what type of sacrifice that would entail. The effort itself to avoid spoilers would be exhausting, on top of the deprivation that would come with it.

lol@deprivation... perfect word for it

Dunno, it just doesn't seem likely that the Freys would kill Robb and spare the woman that, in their eyes, caused him to break his vow. Besides, killing a pregnant woman would incite MASSIVE hatred for the Freys, which is ideally what the producers want.

I just hope the Blackfish doesn't die. It's likely that he has an important role in TWOW.

yea... his escape is gonna lead to something game changing..(game of thrones changing? lol)

Oh god, I hope not. I would prefer it was kept to a maximum of 1.5 seasons. There's a lot of filler that can be left out.

Yeah but if they're trying to buy him time that would be the easiest way to do it, but then again it's HBO it took 10 years to go through 6 seasons of The Sopranos.

yea... his escape is gonna lead to something game changing..(game of thrones changing? lol)

I think he's present at the RW in ep9, but they can still have his escape in s5, by having him being taken as a hostage with Edmure, only to escape the Lannisters' clutches.

The showrunners have already indicated, on many occasions, that they don't plan on stopping production of the show in order to allow the books to catch up. That is not an option.

The showrunners have already indicated, on many occasions, that they don't plan on stopping production of the show in order to allow the books to catch up. That is not an option.

just read that statement the other day. I had assumed otherwise but hey, business is business

If they run out of book material on the TV show I have faith that they'd be able to stall for time for a season or two without leaving George in the dust and giving away huge spoilers. The show doesn't have to stop, it'd just slow down its real progress and get more into the nitty gritty of the characters, like what happened this season on Revenge. They had to slow down Emily's revenge pace from season 1 or she'd have been done by episode 8. It wasn't as good as season 1 because of this. the revenging became more indirect and obscure. but it was still Revenge, and fans stuck with it.

If they run out of book material on the TV show I have faith that they'd be able to stall for time for a season or two without leaving George in the dust and giving away huge spoilers. The show doesn't have to stop, it'd just slow down its real progress and get more into the nitty gritty of the characters, like what happened this season on Revenge. They had to slow down Emily's revenge pace from season 1 or she'd have been done by episode 8. It wasn't as good as season 1 because of this. the revenging became more indirect and obscure. but it was still Revenge, and fans stuck with it.

Yea.... what gives me hope is that from "aDwD" on, we're looking at books of at least 1000 pages. Even if you cut out the "filler", aDwD and tWoW should be enough for 4 seasons. I think

I really don't know. I think it would depend on how far the books were from being finished. I really don't want any more spoilers though.

EDIT: TheLastTarg was quicker on the draw. Provided the same link like second before me :P

The show's not gonna stop to wait for the books. The showrunners said this in an interview from March:

"There's no question that this will be better for us if the books come out before the various seasons come out," Benioff added. "That said, we're not going to take a two-year hiatus (to wait for a book). The little kids are growing older, the show's got momentum now, and the show must go on. We're just hopeful that it will all time out."

As to the OP's question, no I would not stop watching. I would want to stop watching because I know from experience that the books aren't as enjoyable if I already know (even if it's only in general terms) what's going happen. The first half of AGOT was hard for me to get into because I had already seen several episodes of the show and knew what was coming. I wasn't really hooked until after I got past the parts I had seen in the show.

But like Faint has pointed out, the level of effort one would have to put into avoiding spoilers (probably for years until the last book(s) come out) would be insane. I just couldn't do it. So I will watch and when the I read the final books I won't enjoy them as much, but it will still be nice to read them if only to see how many of the secondary plotlines which the show never touched are resolved. Plus, several of the show characters have different personalities from their book counterparts, so I expect there will be some differences in how they react to the same events. Subtle differences like that should make the books interesting enough to read regardless of whether or not I know the ending.

Archived