I don't know why but I hate Dany?

What about the fact that he showed up the day before her actual wedding?

I think in the text (her POV and Barristan) it is suggested that if things were different (if Quentyn was attractive) she may or may not have changed her decision . But being as it is, she was never put in a dilemma.

You say she ruined MMD's life... By stopping the rape... That is comical to me. Obviously MMD had no reason to live anymore and would have been perfectly happy to be raped repeatedly and then killed, but to stop the raping was compassionate, IMO. And the reality is, Drogo would have burned cities, killed lamb men, raped women etc, etc, etc wether or not Dany talked him into going to the 7 kingdoms or not.

She ruined her life by inspiring Drogo to assault Westeros, therefore he assaulted the Lamb Men as a means to an end. HER end.

The final nail for me is her ordering the ShavePate to "use" the daughters of an innkeeper in front of him for an off-chance he was involved in the posoning of an Unsullied. None of the people you mentioned did anything like it. And the very few in the whole books did. Such as Vargo or Gregor. She placed herself right there.

Yes, Jaime just attempted to kill a child, and Tyrion just participated in the rape of his wife, and of course theres the slave girl in Selhorys.

At least what Dany did was to try to end the killings in Meereen. Its not right, but its not for selfish reasons.

Why do people think she's entitled? Nobody talks about Stannis being entitled or, for that matter, every other hereditary aristocrat or monarch throughout the asoiaf universe.

'Entitled' suggests a bratty teenager who demands expensive presents and never does chores. If people think Dany is anything like the type of whiny brat they're familiar with from their own experience, that suggest to me a failure of the imagination.

Stannis listens to wise and honest council (from Davos) even if it's not what he wants to hear. Stannis also learns from his mistakes ("I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne."). Dany does neither and it's particularly annoying when she blames her failings on others.

Yes, Jaime just attempted to kill a child, and Tyrion just participated in the rape of his wife, and of course theres the slave girl in Selhorys.

At least what Dany did was to try to end the killings in Meereen. Its not right, but its not for selfish reasons.

You are so wrong in so many places, that I do not think we could ever meet in any spot. So might be wise not even try to :ninja:

She ruined her life by inspiring Drogo to assault Westeros, therefore he assaulted the Lamb Men as a means to an end. HER end.

Drogo was a Khal. That is what they do. Westeros or not he was going to attack someone.

Stannis listens to wise and honest council (from Davos) even if it's not what he wants to hear. Stannis also learns from his mistakes ("I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne."). Dany does neither and it's particularly annoying when she blames her failings on others.

At the end of ADWD it seems to me that she learns from all of her past mistakes as she converses with herself in the Dothraki Sea.

Drogo was a Khal. That is what they do. Westeros or not he was going to attack someone.

And she was perfectly okay with being a part of it, as it was the price of the Iron Throne. Why did she sit there and watch as the riders tortured and eventually killed women and children but stop the rapes to claim them as her own slaves?

At the end of ADWD it seems to me that she learns from all of her past mistakes as she converses with herself in the Dothraki Sea.

I got the impression what she learned was that the dragon does not plant, which kind of indicates that she's going to give up trying to rule, create anything positive and simply go on a fire and blood rampage, at least that is how I took it.

I think in the text (her POV and Barristan) it is suggested that if things were different (if Quentyn was attractive) she may or may not have changed her decision . But being as it is, she was never put in a dilemma.

I don't fault her about that she didn't want to marry Quentyn.

But she should have an actually discussion about the alliance with Dorne. It seems to me that Dany thought whatever happenes Dorne will support her. She doesn't realise that people won'T support her for her pretty eyes and special blood.

She must give them something in return. She should have discussed that with Quentyn, if not the marraige what else can they negotiate about.

She was the one who persuaded Drogo for her ambitions. In that moment she emraced the Dothraki ways as a means to her ends, became an accomplice in all the things the Dothraki did against the Lamb people. To them she is not innocent, in their eyes she cannot wash her hands.

And she was perfectly okay with being a part of it, as it was the price of the Iron Throne. Why did she sit there and watch as the riders tortured and eventually killed women and children but stop the rapes to claim them as her own slaves?

She didnt have much say in the matter.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime) doesn't like her too

HBO Which character or being scares you the most?

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Melisandre the Red priestess-she's a scary woman. There's also something about that type of power that Daenerys has. Most people believe she's doing the right thing, but she's burning people alive. She's got a chip on her shoulder. I don't want her to come across the Narrow Sea. She's going to burn thousands and thousands and thousands of people and have that self-righteous smirk on her face the whole time.

http://www.hbo.com/g...ter-waldau.html

This quote made me love NCW. Also Ellie Kendrick (Meera Reed)

(6:37).

I'm surprised this thread is still up tbh, but honestly...I know I'm known on here as a "Dany hater" but to be completely honest I wouldn't really say I "hate" Dany so much as I strong dislike her. There was a time where I found her sympathetic and even somewhat likable (AGoT), but those days are long passed. For me personally, what I find the most frustrating about her is her gargantuan sense of entitlement, which she inherited from her brother Viserys, who I think I would be correct in saying is hated by the vast majority of the fanbase, including Dany fans. Instead of trying to learn from her brothers mistakes and striking out on her own, as she appeared to be moving towards in the beginning of AGoT, she instead is beginning to become more and more like him, running around blabbering about her "blood of the dragon" and "unburnt" nonsense. In ADWD, with the crucifixion of 163 people based on nothing but their socioeconomic status and the torture of a little girl for no reason other than her being pissed off about something else, among other things, you begin to see where she may have, like her brother, inherited her fathers cruelty as well, though with her power it presents itself as being even more potent than Viserys. Of course my hatred of Daario and her horrible chapters in ADWD with him don't help either, but they're far from the biggest reason I dislike her.

And yet, I wouldn't honestly say I "hate" Dany. Even in ADWD, I don't see her as being inherently evil or cruel. Though I'd argue her crusade in Slaver's Bay came more from her desire to have a huge army than out of the goodness of her heart, I can't deny that it was well intentioned. However, as others have related to Dany, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". I think she may even yet have potential to still be a somewhat likable character in my eyes if she somehow got over this whole holier than thou Targ master race schpeel, realized her father was a despotic tyrant who deserved to be usurped and leave Westeros alone, but I highly doubt that will happen. But yeah that's how I feel about Dany personally. Like it or leave it.

You are so wrong in so many places, that I do not think we could ever meet in any spot. So might be wise not even try to :ninja:

Well, Im sorry if my opinion wasn't the same as yours, but dismissing it as wrong without supporting your argument just isnt very productive. If you dont want to continue with this Im fine, but If you like me to show you why I think you are mistaken in your judgement (Which is the point of these forums: Discussing ideas and comparing them, and agreeing with them if convinced) in this particular argument. Im ready at any time :) .

But she should have an actually discussion about the alliance with Dorne. It seems to me that Dany thought whatever happenes Dorne will support her. She doesn't realise that people won'T support her for her pretty eyes and special blood.

She must give them something in return. She should have discussed that with Quentyn, if not the marraige what else can they negotiate about.

She was the one who persuaded Drogo for her ambitions. In that moment she emraced the Dothraki ways as a means to her ends, became an accomplice in all the things the Dothraki did against the Lamb people. To them she is not innocent, in their eyes she cannot wash her hands.

Which makes my point that she did what she had to do...

Agree. She basically takes a look at Quentyn, sees he's not handsome, and almost forgets about him on the spot. He's a friggin prince of Dorne! He's an extremely valuable source of information, a crucial link to a potentially very useful alliance in Westeros, and he has at least demonstrated some cunning by infiltrating a city under siege. I certainly don't fault her for not running in his arms because of a piece of paper, but leaving him to rot like that because he's not as hot as Daario is simply wasteful. Only other interaction she has with him is showing him her wild dragons in what I consider a pointless show of self-indulgence. yes girl, we get it, you're the Mother Of Dragons because magic, get over it, you can't even control them. It's symptomatic of Dany in Meereen, really; she makes bad decisions and is terrible at using her dwindling assets. She could easily have promised to discuss terms or an alliance with him after her marriage, or hell talk with him instead of scaring him for her pride's sake. Quentyn is desperate but not that stupid, I think he would have stayed put if he had an insurance Dany could offer him something.

I don't get why people dislike Dany for not leaving Meereen and going to Westeros. Would you have preferred that she left the Meereenese to die and suffer like the Astapori? She stayed because she knew that it was her fault for what happened in Slaver's Bay and that she needed to fix it because she is the 'Mother' of the slaves, and to be fair, she did try.

Archived