Season 4: How much will be Iron Islands and Dorne?

zeppelincheetah

I wonder how much of these two side stories is needed for the show and how much they will just cut out. On the one hand, if the show cuts out too little there will be just too much going on at once - juggling Iron Islands, Dorne, Jon, Alayne, Brienne, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, Sam, Bran, Stannis and Reek? That's a lot going on. On the other hand, if too much of Dorne and the Iron Islands is cut will that hurt the story later on? Also if they cut out too much it would mean the show would catch up to GRRM faster.

What do you think should be/will be done about the Iron Islands and Dorne story threads?

S4 is fine, it's going to have the least amount of disparate plot threads of any season since the first, since the end of S3 rids us of the Northern plotline and brings Jaime/Brienne to KL.

- King's Landing

- The Wall

- The Iron Islands

- Daenerys

- Arya

- Bran&Co

- Theon

- Sansa / Dragonstone (listed as one since Dragonstone will disappear probably around the same time as Sansa breaks away from KL into her own plotline, and those characters will be off-screen until they join up with the Wall storyline.

Dorne won't be in until S5, as nothing happens there until Oberyn's death, which will be late in S4.

Compared to S2's 9 and S3's 11, 8 locations is nothing. It's S5 that's more worrying. Davos, Sam, Asha, Jaime, Brienne and Tyrion all immediately split off into their own storylines, add Dorne and 8 suddenly becomes 15 (and that's cutting Quentyn and Jon Connington's solo adventures). However I think it's still doable. Most characters have quite a short arc in terms of actual plot progression or meaningful character moments; AFFC/ADWD is stuffed full of introspection that can't translate to TV. So they can pull off 15 decent arcs by rotating effectively between episodes - most characters will be fine with 5/10 episode, some like Jon or Tyrion might need a couple more, but it's doable. Look at Jaime - he's practically owned S3, they've done one of the best character arcs in the books very well, and he's only appearing in 7/10 episodes. They can power through AFFC/ADWD in one season, and if they do that then luckily they've reached a point where characters start to re-unite (Asha/Theon, Jaime/Brienne, Dany/Tyrion/Victarion) and the locations cut down quickly.

A projected S6 would be:

- King's Landing

- The Wall

- Meereen

- Winterfell

- Oldtown

- Arya

- Sansa

- Bran? (possible - in fact he may even not be in S5, we'd need info on his presence in TWOW to know that)

- Arianne (with Aegon)

- Jaime/Brienne

- Davos

So we're back to S2/3 level, nice and manageable.

I figure Dorne won't get much screentime, if any next season.

I'm thinking the Iron Islands should take up a good chunk of the story though, I'm predicting they will go all the way up to the point where Euron sends Victarion to find Daenerys. So basically the entire Greyjoy storyline in A Feast for Crows will be in Season 4.

I have no idea what they will do with Dorne, but I'm interested to see what they have planned with the Iron Isles.

There is talk of merging just about all the Ironborn. Euron with Vic, Vic with Aeron, Euron with Vic with Aeron, even Vic with Asha came up somewhere. If they have too many characters, I say just get rid of Aeron, maybe merge him with Vic slightly. Euron is clearly a big deal in future books and Vic will be the one kind of old-school action hero of the show. With the 5 or 6 strong female characters, I think we're allowed one strong male character who isn't maimed/a child/dead/a sadistic bastard/hodor

I have no idea what they will do with Dorne, but I'm interested to see what they have planned with the Iron Isles.

There is talk of merging just about all the Ironborn. Euron with Vic, Vic with Aeron, Euron with Vic with Aeron, even Vic with Asha came up somewhere. If they have too many characters, I say just get rid of Aeron, maybe merge him with Vic slightly. Euron is clearly a big deal in future books and Vic will be the one kind of old-school action hero of the show. With the 5 or 6 strong female characters, I think we're allowed one strong male character who isn't maimed/a child/dead/a sadistic bastard/hodor

really should just be a straight areon vic merge. aerons stuff happens early and then he is non existent. he can just be a priestly admiral. if they merge euron, it would be strange

I hope they're cut almost entirely, and that hope is boosted by D&D saying two months ago, "The universe has expanded as much as it's going to, and now it's going to contract... As pieces start to get removed from the chessboard, we'll have fewer on there."

GRRM has said that after ASoS, he intended only to devote a prologue to Dorne and the Iron Islands. They weren't supposed to have any recurring POV characters. To say those stories "grew in the telling" would be a massive understatement and D&D don't have to do the same. I'm hoping they will hew closer to GRRM's previous vision, rather than sacrifice a lot of the final acts for an extended middle.

Asha (Yara whatever) appears in the Episode 10 preview. I suspect that will mean we'll hear about Balon's tumble off the bridge. That'll lead us to the Kingsmoot in Season 4.

The Kingsmoot should take about 8 minutes. Victarion, Yara, Euron. Boy am I not excited about seeing the Kingsmoot onscreen.

Dorne and the Iron Island stuff was originally meant to be two prologues (to set up VIctarion and Quentyn both journeying to find Danearys).

That's the approach the TV show should take. One scene in each to set it up, then jump cut to Victarion at sea, and Quentyn coming to Meereen.

If they do end up cutting most of the Dorne and Iron Islands material, then I will have lost all hope for this show. Together they probably had around 7 or 8 chapters, not even as much as a single King's Landing arc for a book. A lot of the stuff would actually be really great to see on TV:

-Arianne's sex scene (okay, great for the guys)

-Arianne's plan going to shit and resulting in bloodshed

-Doran's reveal for wanting vengeance, fire and blood

-The Kingsmoot

-Vic and Euron's talk. I have a feeling TV viewers will love Euron

-Vic seizing the Shield Isles, which could be epic

This stuff could work great on TV, and would certainly be more interesting than Tyrion's endless boat trips and Dany endlessly sitting on her ass in Meereen. And also...

...if they cut the Arianne/Arys 'scene' I'll be incredibly disappointed. Plus after seeing Oberyn, I think a lot of TV viewers would be more interested in Dorne and the Martells. You also have to wonder that it they were going to cut nearly all of the Dornish subplot, why did they bother sending Myrcella there in the first place? To create more drama between Tyrion and Cersei? There was already enough, so we have to assume they do plan on following up with Arianne's failed plan to crown Myrcella, unless of course D&D think it's completely unimportant, in which case I have to start worrying about what they deem important or unimportant.

They're going to likely be massively cut unless they use two seasons to tell AFFC + ADWD

so.........get used to it?

Cutting POV characters hasn't happened yet and D&D haven't remotely said anything about major characters being cut. Your basing this on absolutely nothing yet passing off speculation as fact.

Cutting POV characters hasn't happened yet and D&D haven't remotely said anything about major characters being cut. Your basing this on absolutely nothing yet passing off speculation as fact.

Areo Hotah. Aerys Oakheart. Aeron Greyjoy. Quentyn Martell. You think they'll keep all of them?

Archived