Season 4: How much will be Iron Islands and Dorne?

zeppelincheetah

The characters I think they'll keep will be

Dorne: Doran, Arys, Arianne, Darkstar, Sarella, Nymeria, Tyene

The Iron Islands: Euron, Victarion, Yara

IMO Aeron and Areo will be cut from the show, as well as Rodrik Harlaw and the five other Sand Snakes.

I think they can keep a condensed version of the iron islands but dorne needs to be cut down to a sliver.

It's too late to be introducing a whole new family in the game, at least the tyrells and the greyjoys were set up for tv audiences in season 1 with loras and theon. the martells just got a few vague references and trying to lead into the entire family using oberyn will just come across as silly.

I also hope dorne gets cut down because I found the dorne suff incredibly dull, tedious and boring.

the Iron Islands plotline is pretty awesome and really fits well on TV actually. the Kingsmoot scene is one of the scenes when I said this will look 10x better on TV than in the book. It actually doesn't take much. You have a scene when Aeron calls for a kingsmoot, a long scene/scenes in a single episode of the Kingsmoot, and maybe a scene introducing Euron and/or Victarion.

Dorne can be really condensed or changed or thrown out of the window, really. All of Arianne's story could be removed and it won't affect the story. All they need to keep is Quentyn's plotline. As for Arianne, they can shrink her storyline if necessary or change it completely. Though, I would really like it if I can still get a meaningful "justice, vengeance, fire and blood" line.

I think the Dornish plotline would work well along side Quentyn's plotline, as it was originally intended. Just do the Queenmaker stuff early in season 5, do a cool cut after "Vengeance, justice, fire and blood" to Quentyn in Volantis. Make it look like Tyrion might run into Quentyn, maybe. Continue Arianne/ Doran's story alongside Q's, and they will be compelling.

I've heard people talk about having Arianne go with Oberyn to KL, which is a change I'd support. She'll seem more major if she gets screentime earlier.

I imagine the Kingsmoot will appear in some form - probably the only candidates for the kingship will be Asha (representing the possibility of peace), Victarion (representing the Old Way), and Euron (representing an ambitious new direction for the Ironborn). Victarion will presumably be introduced beforehand but Euron could be introduced by way of the Kingsmoot. Whether or not Aeron will appear is up in the air; possibly he will appear eventually, but only if he becomes important in the next book. Until then, the showrunners can just use stand-in priest characters, as they did in S2 with Theon's baptism.

Dorne is tricky. Introducing Arianne early seems like a good idea, but some of the plotlines in Dorne will have to be changed or moved forward from the next book. It's very possible that Quenyn will be cut, as most of his functions could be taken over by other characters. At best, he will appear in a reduced capacity, probably just showing up in Meereen. Showing his journey to Daenerys would be expensive (too many locations) and would leave the show open to criticisms of being a travelogue.

Areo Hotah. Aerys Oakheart. Aeron Greyjoy. Quentyn Martell. You think they'll keep all of them?

Certainly Quentyn Martell. Probably Aeron as well because he is one of Bryan Cogman's favourites and he's been looking forward to adapting him.

Dorne won't be in it at all next year. We only went to Dorne in AFFC so that's a season away at least.

I can see them putting the Kingsmoot S4 though so we'll be back at the iron islands soon enough

I've read a few opinions here in the forum saying that introducing a new family and storyline out of the blue (well, two sort of, if you include all the new Greyjoys that are about to appear) will be shocking considering that next year, we'll be halfway through the series.

I agree that the Kingsmoot will be next season, and they're clearly introducing the Martells through Oberyn, but do you think they'll show us anyone else from Dorne to soften the effect for the following season?

I mean, the Martells and Greyjoys come to the fore in a major way... some book readers (me, for example) had a hard time caring at first about new characters when I was still recovering from the massacre that is ASOS. This could be circumvented by introducing them earlier. Just an idea I'm throwing out there....thoughts???

I agree that the Kingsmoot will be next season, and they're clearly introducing the Martells through Oberyn, but do you think they'll show us anyone else from Dorne to soften the effect for the following season?

We'll still have Ellaria. They can size up her role too, before and after she returns to Dorne.

They better keep the Iron Islands, I was thinking they'd show some of Dorne, but since they said they won't be adding as many new characters as they did this season I don't think it's possible to add Dorne. Because(my math might be off) if you had the major players in Dorne, Iron Islands, Meereen and new characters at the wall, that will be more characters than season 3 brought us.

But next season without the Ironborn would just be bad writing IMO, especially if tonights episode ends news of Balon dying, it has Asha in it so I assume that's what is going to happen, they can't just drop it if they're going to mention a Kingsmoot tonight.

Though if they do go that direction and start cutting down the Ironborn and Dorne, then it might be time to stop watching it since it will no longer be the same story as the books. Might as well just have Dany marry Jon Snow and make Tyrion hand of the king and end the show in two more seasons.

Isn't the start of a new season a great moment to inrtoduce Dorne? They can introduce the red viper and Arianne and send him on his journey to KL. Sure, it's a bit of a reshuffle but it'd make sense I think.

It doesn't have to be a long introduction. It's just an opportunity to establish both Dorn and the backstory with Elia, the grudges the Martells hold etc. etc.

which in turn increases the impact of Mountain vs. Viper later on.

As things stand now:

Stanis must leave for the North at least mid way through season 4, I can see him taking Davos with him, things are just crazy busy at the wall , even before the big battle. Then Stanis sends Davos on his mission, eliminates Davos's long traveloge.

Keeps Liam Cunningham in the thick of things, which is ok with me.

Then I don't know what the heck they do with Gendry? He gets sent to Braavos with the intent to become a swoardsman? Maybe he meets Arya. This eliminates having to keep up with two different characters at two different places. They are going to have to invent a story of Gendry.

I think it puts Arya in Braavos half way through season 4.

Brienne's story just stumps me , D and D don't go for travelogues and she just wanders around Westeros with one story coming to almost nothing... then a great cliffhanger at the end of FoC I can not see D and D letting that go. What to do with her rest of season 4 and 5?

One thing I thing , and this will start to be a big deviation from the books , a lot of imagination is going to go into consolidation, because we have already seen how all this flash-jumping puts speed bumps in the story for a 10 episode season. Next season is the time to start doing it.

Battle for the Wall could cost more that Blackwater, Giants and Mammoths and god-knows what , it would be the highlight of season 4. Episode 9? Would seem like it.

Areo can be in - they just need to have a guy with an axe. Arys will be Arianne's lover, so I'm quite sure that they will keep him in ;). He doesn't need to appear that often, but Arianne needs to be developed as a character. Other Sand Snakes may or may not be cut... I don't care, TBH.

Aeron... Don't know, it depends on what GRRM wants to do with him in the next two books. He said that he has exciting stuff planned for one of Aeron's chapter - if it's sth major and supernatural and Aeron is a key figure here, it might be important to keep Aeron.

The Iron Islands plotline will be kept. I see no reason to cut it - the viewers already know who the Ironborn are and characters like Victarion and Euron will be fun on screen. They will probably be quite important for Dany's storyline in future seasons, too.

I think Euron, Victarion, and Aeron are definitely being cut. We've already seen the finale of S3 where Asha goes off back to retrieve Theon. Means that she's going straight into her ADwD storyline.

I don't know if Dorne will be cut, but I think they will be cut if the producers decide they can't fit them in. I see them giving a lot more preference/priority to existing storylines.

After tonight, I'm not sure where they're going with the Iron Islands plotline, but I'm certainly not anywhere near willing to say that "Euron, Victarion, and Aeron are definitely being cut." For one thing, Balon Greyjoy is almost certainly going to die, and he's probably going to die before Joffrey. I'm not at all sure what they're doing with Yara, but I certainly wouldn't bet on "jettisoning the entire Iron Islands plotline" being the answer. At least not yet.

And how does Yara sailing around Westeros to the Dreadfort to save Theon constitute anything close to her ADWD plot?

It certainly seems like they are leaping forward Yara's storyline pretty dramatically. I suspect their solution to the AFFC/ADWD problem is going to be to jump start those storylines in S4.

I think what will happen is Yara's arrives at the Dreadfort to find it abandoned... Ramsey will move on to Winterfell. Yara gives chase and ends up with Stannis in the snow just before the big Battle for Winterfell.

Archived