Season 4: How much will be Iron Islands and Dorne?

zeppelincheetah

I'm thinking Doran, Arianne et al, will be held off until S5, as the Red Viper will introduce viewers to the Dornish. They've cast Ellaria so when she returns to Dorne, there will be at least one familiar face for the viewers to associate with the new ones. The Sand snakes will be condensed to two or three, Tyene and Nym and either Obara/Sarella. Doran will be introduced as will Arianne. Quentyn.... IDK, he could spice things up in Dany's story, with a connection to Westeros and his death will play up the fact that the Dragons are a bit out of control. And his death may have a bigger purpose in who Dorne will side with later on.

I'm in favour of the Kingsmoot next season, and it being between just Euron and Vic, as they seem to be giving Yara her own plot for next season, or she could hear the news of her father's death and head back.. I'm not sure. The Damphair can be cut, but Vic and Euron, no way! Euron only appears in a chapter or two. They don't need a big name actor for the role. If they cut Victarion's I seriously will consider not watching the show anymore. His whole rampage across the sea, was made for TV. That would be some of the most entertaining stuff on the show.

Alot of people will be getting the chop next season, so that opens up space on the cast for the Ironborn and Dornish. We've already been introduced to Balon etc. Hopefully the Red Viper will peak viewers interest in the Dornish. I love both these storylines in Feast and Dance. There will have to be some cuts for sure, but hopefully none of those I've mentioned above... Wishful thinking maybe on my part.

They have to draw out more than half a book into a full season. If material has to be pulled from AFFC, it should come from the Iron Islands and Dorne. This would be the place to put it, if anywhere.

more like a third of a book.

the number of chapters still to be screened from ASOS

Sansa 7

Jon 7

Tyrion 4

Jaime 3

Sam 2

Dany 2

Arya 1

Catelyn 1

27 chapters out of 82 Its a certainty that we will see a lot from AFFC/DW

2.3 books of source material remaining, it can easily be shown in 2 series

We know for a fact that we will start to get material from AFFC/ADwD because Bran's ASOS arc has already ended, and unless they decide to come up with brand new material for him (which is entirely possible) ... they have to start drawing from Dance.

All we will see of Dorne in season 4 will be in reference from the two Dornish characters added to the cast (Oberyn and Ellaria). It would not make sense to include Arianne, Doran and the Sandsnakes until season 5 because …

Oberyn’s death is one event that propels those events into motion a la the Sand Snakes seeking revenge.

I have no idea when we’ll get more of the Iron Islands and I suspect we won’t have much of an idea until they actually start casting those characters. With YarAsha deciding to run off and “rescue” her little brother, it kind of throws that whole storyline into question now.

IThe Damphair can be cut, but Vic and Euron, no way! Euron only appears in a chapter or two. They don't need a big name actor for the role. If they cut Victarion's I seriously will consider not watching the show anymore. His whole rampage across the sea, was made for TV. That would be some of the most entertaining stuff on the show.

Yeah, I am going to be really pissed off if they cut Victarion. And even more so if Victarion AND Aeron are cut. I know they have to narrow down the characters now, but for god's sake why not cut someone like Penny, or some of the hundreds of Meereenese Dany meets?

The big problem for Vic and Euron is that they sort of don't interact with anyone for long periods of time. The shows seems to make it a big point not to isolate actors. They are almost always in at least pairs with another semi important actor. Also they disappear for long stretches. I definitely could see a rationale for merging them with what we know about them so far. Maybe they start doing stuff that only one of them could accomplish in the future, but that hasn't really happened yet.

As others have said season 4 will draw heavily on AFFC and ADWD for some characters.

That being said I don't think we'll see Dorne at all in season 4. We could potentially get a scene of Arianne and Doran in episode 10 but I doubt it. In general I think we're going to see the Dornish storyline get seriously trimmed. The show is already having problems with the huge cast, number of storylines, and locations. At this point Dorne doesn't have a lot to add and would only further convolute the story.

I think ultimately HBO is going to end up cutting Quentyn as well as most of Arianne's original plot. Are we really going to see the hunt for Darkstar in season 6? The show is already running the risk of becoming too layered for the one hour it's allotted each week.

I'm sure we'll see a little bit of the Iron Islands again, but it's not going to become a focal point in season 4 or 5. Most show watchers watch the show for their favorite characters. They want to see what happens to Dany, Arya, Jon, Sansa, and Tyrion. Bringing in a whole cast of seemingly unrelated new Ironborn is not what the people want. In season 4, Balon will die. We'll be introduced to a couple of other Greyjoy brothers. Then if we're lucky we could see a Kingsmoot, but that's all. Don't expect the Iron Islands to ever play as large a role in a tv season as they did in AFFC.

I'd cut all mention of Aegon and give Quentyn 5 or 6 episodes in Meereen.

Would be better dramatically if the viewer is introduced to Aegon at the same time Westeros is (in season 6)

Dany's Meereen story needs some padding out to keep pace with The Wall and KL, Quentyn would be ideal.

Dany establishing a relationship with him and the viewer getting some Dorne exposition before he is ultimately spurned.He could be responsible for releasing all 3 dragons

Tyrion could get to Meereen with the Ironborn

I know they have to narrow down the characters now, but for god's sake why not cut someone like Penny, or some of the hundreds of Meereenese Dany meets?

Because, hypothetically, Penny or the Meereenese don't require their own separate plot line, filming locations, etc. Particularly since it's very expensive to film on water.

• 2 weeks later...

So here is a crazy idea. What If they have yara actually capture Osha and rickon and bring them to the iron island. That could be a way to bridge the main story and some of the future iron island plots. I mean if there isn't anything crucial going on in skagos that can only happen in skagos, why not just leave them on the iron islands. Plus then Davos rescue plan can also bridge with people known to the viewers instead of again random skagos.

Why everyone assumes the Kingsmoot was supposed to happen this season is beyond me. They have PLENTY of good material to make this full season cover the 2nd half of Storm of Swords. To fill in they will pull over Brienne's story from Feast (as confirmed) and will make up a story line for Yara/Theon/Ramsay and Bran (which WILL include Coldhands, maybe that silly door thing).

The Kingsmoot at the end of this season? Cutting ALL the Greyjoys? Cutting Dorne? Ridiculous. They all play a HUGE part in the future storylines. So unless they plan on canceling the show after this season, no major story lines will be cut. Stories may be moved around and changed a little, but not cut. This season were going to get Coldhands, Dontos + Sansa, Brienne + Pod, Arya + Hound adventures, etc. Stuff just moved, not deleted.

The Kingsmoot will happen Season 5. Along with Areo Hotah, Dorne, and everyone else. Feast and Dance could easily fill Seasons 5, 6 and 7. The show is super successful, they are in no hurry to jump to the (nonexisitent) end of it.

I hope they show the Dornish entourage accompanying Oberyn to Kings Landing. It would be a good opportunity to introduce the Dornish as a people and Dorne \ Sunspear itself.

I can totally see them (HBO) going cheap and just introducing Oberyn and Elia at court or something lame.....

I want to see those Dornish banners whipping in the wind as they approach Tyrion's party, I see it as a wonderful opportunity to display the fierceness of the Red Viper and Dorne itself. The eagerness for justice and to mark their presence in Kings Landing.

Oberyn and Ellaria will probably be a major presence in KL (like the Tyrells in S3), but I don't expect anything in the Iron Islands beyond Balon's death (if it's shown rather than just reported), though we'll get to see the plot they've come up with for Theon/Yara in the North (which I'm guessing will be inspired by Theon's earlier ADWD material).

The Kingsmoot will happen Season 5. Along with Areo Hotah, Dorne, and everyone else. Feast and Dance could easily fill Seasons 5, 6 and 7. The show is super successful, they are in no hurry to jump to the (nonexisitent) end of it.

If that's the case, why are the showrunners talking about telling "a coherent story that lasts for 80 hours" and Bryan Cogman about how "Books four and five are much tougher to adapt for a variety of reasons, chief among them the staggering amount of new plot lines, characters and locations. There are dozens and dozens of major characters introduced in FfC and DwD; far too many for one TV series to contain. So a lot of hard choices will have to be made."

Book series can go on for ages because the only limit to plot and setting is the author's imagination. TV shows have to consider expenses (sets and costumes have to be made for GOT, there's CGI, actors might get bored and will certainly get more expensive when they renegotiate their contracts, and you can't count on audience interest being the same in 2018 as it is in 2013). Soaps, sitcoms and procedurals can be on TV for years because the actors are disposable, the sets are cheap, and the status quo is maintained. GOT, on the other hand, is a fantasy show that has been hyped for its plot twists and shocks like Ned's death and the Red Wedding that change the game. There would be nothing easy about making AFFC and ADWD take up seasons 5+6+7: in that situation, after seven years viewers would still not have gotten to see the White Walkers invade, Dany get to Westeros, Dany and Tyrion meet in the east, the Cersei/Margaery trials, the Ironborn or the Dornish actually doing anything, the results of the Stark kids' training arcs, a Stoneheart/Jaime confrontation, a Stannis/Bolton battle. That's just not going to happen.

Why everyone assumes the Kingsmoot was supposed to happen this season is beyond me.

Because that's where it happens, chronologically, and AFFC/ADWD will most likely be told largely in one season (season five).

Feast and Dance could easily fill Seasons 5, 6 and 7.

Is that you, George R. R. Martin?

I'm one of the weird guys that likes Victarion so I hope he's not cut/merged.

I have faith in D&D but I have no idea how they're gonna get Tyrion to Essos in time for the battle.

Tyrion's journey will be cut a lot but still he meets a lot of interesting people on the way such as Illyrio, Aegon (fake or not), Moquorro and Mormont.

Tyrion should escape Kings Landing in season 4 and get to Pentos in the finale at least or he'll need Littlefinger's teleporter.

My guess is that they'll (re)introduce the inner circle of each region first, "inner circle" being the ones more closely linked to the existing storylines in Westeros/Essos:

1) Asha (already introduced once and strongly connected to Theon's storyline)

2) Balon (he needs to die next season, or else the Iron Islands plot will never move forward)

3) Ellaria + Oberyn (crucial to Tyrion's situation in King's Landing, which will probably be resolved by episode nine)

That will be all for season 4. Having Oberyn and Balon die, as well Tywin, Joffrey, Lysa and Ygritte, will give room for new characters in season 5:

1) Euron and Victarion (both likely to be important to the future plot - Aeron is expandable)

2) Doran + Arianne (Ellaria will be the perfect link here, plus Joffrey's death will give a chance to remind viewers of Myrcella)

3) Quentyn (potentially - he'll be wearing the red shirt, though)

In season 4? No Dorne.

As for the Iron Islands I believe it we will see the following in this order:

32:

- possibly a travel scene with YarAsha. We could possibly see the introduction of Tristifer Botley

- Balon dies (Aeron is introduced in the scene and has a conversation with Balon just before his death)

33:

- Euron crowns himself and when a man opposes him he has that man drowned (Aeron being the viewpoint for this scene, linking it to Balon's death)

- YarAsha is defeated by Ramsay at the Dreadfort and is forced to retreat (she finds out about Balon's death through Ramsay's taunting)

34/35:

- maybe another YarAsha travel scene, but probably not (I expect these episodes to be rather action packed, containing Joffrey's wedding and the battle at Castle Black respectively)

36:

- YarAsha returns to Pyke and confronts Euron

37/38:

- YarAsha conspires with Aeron to overthrow Euron. YarAsha insists that she is the rightful heir, but Aeron insists on Victarion.

39:

- Aeron calls a Kingsmoot

then in season 5:

41:

- Victarion arrives and we get some pre-Kingsmoot scenes

42:

- The Kingsmoot

They would be making the worst possible choice if Feast and Dance are not finished at the start of season 6.

Archived