Sean Bean wants to come back...

It’s a real pity they missed the chance for this scene:

In the godswood she found her broomstick sword where she had left it, and carried it to the heart tree. There she knelt. Red leaves rustled. Red eyes peered inside her. The eyes of the gods. “Tell me what to do, you gods,” she prayed.

For a long moment there was no sound but the wind and the water and the creak of leaf and limb. And then, far far off, beyond the godswood and the haunted towers and the immense stone walls of Harrenhal, from somewhere out in the world, came the long lonely howl of a wolf.

Gooseprickles rose on Arya’s skin, and for an instant she felt dizzy. Then, so faintly, it seemed as if
she heard her father’s voice
“When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives,”
he said.

“But there is no pack,” she whispered to the weirwood. Bran and Rickon were dead, the Lannisters had Sansa, Jon had gone to the Wall. “I’m not even me now, I’m Nan.”

“You are Arya of Winterfell, daughter of the north. You told me you could be strong. You have the wolf blood in you.”

“The wolf blood.” Arya remembered now. “I’ll be as strong as Robb. I said I would.”

My God I just had goosebumps just re-reading that. Flashbacks/Rebellion background would be cool, and it would solve a lot of missing back story for non-book readers, but I don't think it fits the style of the show.

The above scene however, with Arya only dreaming of her father, and maybe even similar dreams for Sansa/Bran, would be amazing without breaking the pattern of the show so far. Plus seeing Ned's memory kind of complements LS, whenever they bring in that storyline.

The show runners have said no flashbacks or dreams for anyone but Bran.

Can you provide a quote for that?Bran will have flashbacks and dream sequences?

They reused Ned's voice this season, sets the stage for us to see him in person the next...

Really?When?

I must have missed that.

If they did a flashback to Robert's Rebellion or the Tower of Joy, I'd expect them to cast a younger actor as Eddard. I think Ned was a 19/20 at the time.

But, Sean Bean could work in a dream type scene or a more recent flashback.

If you did it as a Green dream you could have old Eddard talking to Bran then you'd see him in the scene as the man Bran knew as his father rather than the young Ned, a more stylistic take on the Tower of Joy. Or even have Old-Ned standing there with Bran watching Young-Ned, as Young-Ned speaks however Old-Neds voice is heard or something. It could work.

• 3 weeks later...

Hell yes!

Jaime had a dream about Ned, stating that I he would fight him and that he was never afraid of Ned. Nothing really significant but besides the obvious Bran flashback option (which they would have to put major cgi work to make Sean Bean look younger) this is all I see where the Ned can be shown within the narrative of the books...they can always add scenes on the show as well.

I would love if they did something like in Six Feet Under with Nathaniel Sr appearing in the person's mind to comfort them or disagree with what they're doing. It may be a bit wierd on this show but it would be a great way to incorporate Sean Bean into the show on a semi-regular basis and interact with his kids. I imagine his scenes with Jon and Arya would be the highlights.

Archived