What if the series had very little or no magic at all?

Would it still be as interesting to you? I loved the political intrigue really, and when Melisandre came around, I was frightened! I thought she was a satanist or something hahahaha!

As the series progresses, magic is becoming more and more central to the story. At first, it didn't seem like much of a fantasy series to me - just swords and armies and people plotting to kill one another - but it really is.

So, do you think it's a good balance? Would you like the series still if the magic and fantasy was toned down? Toned up?

Wouldn't be as interesting to me if it had no magic at all. I enjoy the balance between realism and the supernatural, and it's set up nicely so that one doesn't overwhelm the other. Sometimes the whole political struggle and the scheming can get a little boring, so the mysticism is a refreshing change, and vice-versa.

First read I hated the magic. I've never read fantasy much. But on reread I found the magic interesting....mostly because I don't understand it and there are many possibilities.

However, the shadow baby that killed Renly was BS. Renly did everything right and was poised to be king of Westeros and the BAM.... Shadow baby stabs him.

I'd like it either way; I love and am intrigued enough by the characters that if there was no magic or a lot more magic, I'd still find it fabulous.

:agree:

The characters intricate personalities and manners,the intricate backstory, the explicit detail and the treacherous political intrigue would still make it an excellent series, and it may have more fans since many dislike it because of its fantasy. That said, it would likely lose some fans that loved fantasy...all in all, not much would change.

Although, I do see the Targaryens being considerably less interesting without their dragons...

I would have LOVED if the shadow babies were cut from ACOK. I felt this was one of the biggest cop outs from GRRM in the entire series and just lazy writing in general.

It also robbed us of what could have been some bad ass infiltration assassinations.

Toatal change from fantasy, to just fiction drama, I would still read it, but would be alot less interested. I like to escape in while reading and be entertained by imagination. The whole fantasy aspect helps with this.

Although, I do see the Targaryens being considerably less interesting without their dragons...

Horse pucky! They are at their most interesting during the period where there are no dragons! It is known!

I actually enjoy the magical elements because theres clues that note that there may be rules for it. Structured magic in a fantasy series is hella interesting to me. (One reason i love Garth Nix's Abhorsen series. Despite it being Mega High Fantasy, theres structure and rules to the magic.) Since this is a low fantasy and its magic is creeping throughout the series as a massive undercurrent, its fascinating. So yeah i probably wouldnt be as into it as i am if there was no magic.

However, the shadow baby that killed Renly was BS. Renly did everything right and was poised to be king of Westeros and the BAM.... Shadow baby stabs him.

Ever heard of deus ex machina, when the author ports in an element from outside of the established rules of the series to bail the main characters out of a jam and fix the plot?

This is kind of the evil opposite of that. A horrifying force comes in out of nowhere to completely screw someone over. There was no possible way Renly or anyone else could have seen that coming or taken steps to prevent it. It would be like if when Jaime was about to kill Aerys, the Mad King suddenly pulled out a rifle and blew him away.

So, yeah, I get what you're saying, but I kind of let it slide because it did help establish Melisandre though. I did notice that R'hllor seems more active and helpful than most of the other gods in the series; I think he's just insecure because he's the new kid so he tries too hard to make friends. The Seven or the Drowned God don't even lift a finger.

Ever heard of deus ex machina, when the author ports in an element from outside of the established rules of the series to bail the main characters out of a jam and fix the plot?

This is kind of the evil opposite of that. A horrifying force comes in out of nowhere to completely screw someone over. There was no possible way Renly or anyone else could have seen that coming or taken steps to prevent it. It would be like if when Jaime was about to kill Aerys, the Mad King suddenly pulled out a rifle and blew him away.

So, yeah, I get what you're saying, but I kind of let it slide because it did help establish Melisandre though. I did notice that R'hllor seems more active and helpful than most of the other gods in the series; I think he's just insecure because he's the new kid so he tries too hard to make friends. The Seven or the Drowned God don't even lift a finger.

Thats called a Diablos Ex Machina, btw. :P (A Deus Ex Machina in favor of the villainous characters.)

Archived