Aussies Thread LX: Abbott, Ashes, Ales. And Rudd.

Paxter

It gets hot and humid north of Post Macquarie for 7 months of the year. There is also floods, mosquitos and mosquito borne diseases such as Barmah Forest and Ross River viruses. That's if them dropbears don't jump you! ;)

Note to self: Write up will before I go. :D

All this added info is making it harder to choose. :drunk:

What I'm looking for is somewhere that doesn't look like Mars and doesn't feel like Venus (although a little sunshine would be fantastic in the middle of another dismal summer up here.) Beaches are nice, too. It doesn't have to be a huge city really, but some cultural options would be great in case the mood strikes me.

I don't know what kind of work I'll be doing, apart from my regular job, which I can do online. But I'll probably look for something part-time too, just because I'm a huge introvert and need something to get me out of the house and meet people. Part of the point of going is to maintain/expand my English skills.

I don't think it's going to be very profitable to continue this discussion, we're clearly not going to convince each other. You and I have a different idea of inflammatory, and as to the relevance of my earlier things you quote, I simply mention them as background. As I acknowledge in my own reply earlier, they weren't intended as the crux of an argument. Call them a red herring if you like, but I don't believe I actually advanced your choice of words or background in religion as an actual argument in itself against atheism.

If you "really don't care" about my personal position about how I reconcile science and religion, that's fine. But I was simply illustrating how a religious person might still believe in science, as you implied that science and religion were opposed to each other, and I don't think that's true. My personal experiences were just my method of explaining that.

I also didn't dispute that a theist accepts the God claim. I am, however, suggesting that a completely atheist viewpoint does make a claim about reality. While in terms of a strict definition of the word your point may indeed make some sense, the denial of theism does create an alternate worldview of explaining the world, and this worldview does need to answer various questions such as the ones I raised earlier.

I'll leave it off here, because I think we'll probably just end up infuriating each other without changing either one's opinion. If you would like to claim that my withdrawal from the discussion is evidence that you have won the argument, you would be incorrect, but there's nothing to stop you from thinking so. I do encourage you to do some reading about this from a religious point of view, just to see what the other side is like - one book I might recommend is John C Lennox's "Gunning For God". You might not like what you read, but I think Lennox's views are roughly analogous to my own, which might save us a bit of personal argy-bargy. :)

I think you have the wrong idea. This isn't about winning and I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm just trying to clear up some misconceptions that I believe you have. I'll admit I get kind of annoyed by the "show some respect" stuff. I was just brushing it off as irrelevant to the discussion because I didn't things to go in that direction. I understand that a you were trying to illustrate that a religious person can be religious and accept scientific explanations, if I wasn't aware that was possible I would be flagrantly ignorant. The point was that science and religion are incompatible, not that religious people and scientific explanations aren't compatible.

"the denial of theism does create an alternate worldview of explaining the world, and this worldview does need to answer various questions such as the ones I raised earlier." No, that's simply false. I don't think I can explain it any clearer than I have. The position of atheism doesn't automatically form a homogeneous worldview. Atheist X might believe people have free will, Atheist Y may disagree and so on. The only thing that Atheist's automatically must share as part of their 'worldview' is that they don't believe in a God or Gods. I think you have the wrong idea about what my intentions are, I just want to have a discussion. Feel free to PM me or reply here or whatever.

The downside with Sydney and Melbourne is that when it does get hot, which it will, there are a couple million other people who want to go to the beach to. Perth is nice and much quieter, but there is only so much you can do before you'd have to commit to some long trips driving or flying to see more, especially in the Eastern states....

Adelaide's a nice compromise though. Not ridiculously busy, but not overly quiet. Not a long distance to Melbourne either. It will probably get a bit hot for you, but at least it's consistently hot. From what I hear of Melbourne especially, the weather is all over the place so you can't adjust...

(I know I started it, but putting aside the virtues of our home states or adoptive home states, Melbourne or Sydney would probably be the way to go Unfortunately... :P)

I don't think it's going to be very profitable to continue this discussion, we're clearly not going to convince each other.

Yeah, Good choice Jeor. I believe there's as little point in arguing with atheist zealots as there is arguing with religious fundamentalists. The science and religion argument is one best reserved for open-minded people.

As for the other discussion, Sydney would obviously be the way to go. Great city, lots to see and do within a reasonably close radius of the city, good weather for about 8-9 months of the year...

Yeah, Good choice Jeor. I believe there's as little point in arguing with atheist zealots as there is arguing with religious fundamentalists. The science and religion argument is one best reserved for open-minded people.

Excuse me, but how am I a zealot..?

edit: It's nice to see you make assumptions about how 'open' my mind is but I didn't see you (or Jeor) respond to any point I made about the incompatibility of science and religion.

Plus, Sydney is a major job centre, so it might be easier to get job here (depending on the type of job of course!). It probably also the most active BWB. Even though we've been pretty lazy the last few months! Your arrival could very well be the excuse we need for another meet.

But Sydney is easily the most expensive out of all the other aussie cities.

Excuse me, but how am I a zealot..?

edit: It's nice to see you make assumptions about how 'open' my mind is but I didn't see you (or Jeor) respond to any point I made about the incompatibility of science and religion.

I believe I did, quite clearly. Anyway, if you want to keep talking, start a new thread, this one is meant to be about Aussies-related affairs. I can't guarantee I'll respond to a new thread - our conversation here has me doubting any mutual benefit of continuing this dialogue - but I'm sure you'll find plenty of other boarders willing to discuss both sides of the coin, and I daresay most of the boarders here would probably be more along your line than mine.

I believe I did, quite clearly.

I understand that a you were trying to illustrate that a religious person can be religious and accept scientific explanations, if I wasn't aware that was possible I would be flagrantly ignorant. The point was that science and religion are incompatible, not that religious people and scientific explanations aren't compatible.

Strange question guys, but is there anyone on this thread who comments on Sydney Morning Herald articles under the name Cryxian.

I saw an article today asking for Game of Thrones political analogies at the bottom (it was a Sam de Brito one) and they posted the Rudd Wedding which they said they "shamelessly stole off a forum I frequent". I would love it if it was this thread :D

Interesting Q and A on tonight. I have to say that Tanya Plibersek comes off very well, whereas I have no idea why the Libs would continue to send Sophie Mirabella in there. Mirabella comes off as smug and smarmy, and is always trying to wrench the conversation over to attacking Labor, often with the thinnest pretext of trying to answer a question. Even as a nominal Coalition supporter it's rather unnerving to see. If Plibersek was my local member I'd vote for her.

Interesting Q and A on tonight. I have to say that Tanya Plibersek comes off very well, whereas I have no idea why the Libs would continue to send Sophie Mirabella in there. Mirabella comes off as smug and smarmy, and is always trying to wrench the conversation over to attacking Labor, often with the thinnest pretext of trying to answer a question. Even as a nominal Coalition supporter it's rather unnerving to see. If Plibersek was my local member I'd vote for her.

Wish I could see that. Dont have a TV where I'm currently staying and Plibersek is one of my favourites.

I saw her absolutely buuuurn Graham Richardson on Q & A once, it was beautiful and I've always taken notice of her since.

I like what I see.

Callum, arya, Winged,

Thanks for the feedback. Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, Newcastle et al added to the list. But Melbourne does have a Batman Avenue though, and I've always been a fan of justice.

lacuna, you will only hear this once from me: Melbourne is OK, I guess.

I wasn't serious about Newcastle or Geelong, I'd probably stick to a capital city as a base location unless you had to go to more rural areas for work...

The Aussie thread has had a bit of life breathed in to it tonight. And someone thought this one would see us through to the election...

Archived