Is Israel a true democracy?

Olwen

All I'm saying is that you'd have a hard time finding any country that fits perfectly into that ridiculous definition of democracy. Proportional representation of all ethnicities doesn't exist, except in completely homogenous countries.

God, I've already said Israel is far worse. No democracy has to be perfect.

Wtf? It's extremely relevant that Jewish people are an ethnicity. Israel is the only country that discriminates based on ethnicity and not citizenship. I wouldn't have made this thread if not for that fact.

This is a forum, not a well-respected newspaper. It's best to keep things short because people have low attention spans. Anyone can understand the reasoning behind this even if they don't agree with it, and it's not necessary to make a well reasoned article because the argument is so basic.

Okay, playa

N

Wtf? It's extremely relevant that Jewish people are an ethnicity. Israel is the only country that discriminates based on ethnicity and not citizenship. I wouldn't have made this thread if not for that fact.

Here's me thinking that you were making these threads to boost post count.

N

Olwen,

If the egal immigration policy is clearly discriminatory from the outset how can you say American democracy is open to everyone in a way that Israeli democracy is not?

How easy is it for Mexicans to legally immigrate to the US?

Well, anyone can become an American. That's how it's open to everyone?

If Mexicans are outside the US, it has nothing to do with the US being a democracy. They have to be in the country for it to count.

There is not such a thing as a "true democracy" in the whole world: all democratic states have their flaws that separates them from the ideal of democracy.

But noticing this, I would say Israel is a democracy, much more flawed than most European countries, but a democracy anyway.

Wikipedia defines a democracy as follows:

The first thing to do to create a democracy is to not discriminate between anyone. Negative bias prevents anyone from participating equally.

And, of course, Wikipedia is the undisputed source of truth. The statement, if believed, means that there are no democracies on the planet.

But, this isn't really about democracy, it is about creating needless controversy.

There is not such a thing as a "true democracy" in the whole world: all democratic states have their flaws that separates them from the ideal of democracy.

But noticing this, I would say Israel is a democracy, much more flawed than most European countries, but a democracy anyway.

Thanks, that's the conclusion I want to come to.

Archived