Of the 3 (or 4?) remaining Starks.... Who would you give Winterfell to?

Jose Stark

Bran if he returns to Winterfell, with Rickon as his heir. If he doesn't return Rickon, though a legitimised Jon would be pretty cool as well.

No Sansa or Arya please, it needs a male Stark to carry on the name.

Actually their children would get their last names. It is a matter of status. If a small lordling married a higher noblewoman their children would have her last name. And what in the heck is some dude compared to the queen in the North? So what you claim is invalid.

Actually their children would get their last names. It is a matter of status. If a small lordling married a higher noblewoman their children would have her last name. So what you claim is invalid.

Hmm good point. Even so I'd follow 'normal' line of succesion, so Bran and Rickon before Sansa and Arya. If Bran doesn't return Sansa could be regent for Rickon.

Robb might have named Jon his heir, but Jon cannot inherit. So he is out. Bran is a tree & presumed dead, so he's out. Rickon its only a rumour that he is still alive, even though we know he is. Sansa is the only Stark still believed to be alive, even though shes wanted for Kingslaying, so I guess she is heir apparent to Winterfell...... Well her son.

I'd give it to Rickon because he's the rightful heir, as Bran has chosen to become a tree.

No, it's like saying I wouldn't want a child soldier to be my king.

There's an ever so slight difference between being "rehabilitated" to the point where they can function somewhat normally in a society and you know, being supreme ruler of a monarchy.

I never said I thought Arya was a good choice for the throne/seat of Winterfell either. Not because of her mental issues at the moment, like you, however. I simply think that her siblings have the upper hand on her in terms of how well prepared they are for rulership. Specifically Sansa, and also Bran. Arya's third, ahead, or perhaps tied with Rickon.

By the way, what issues exactly do you feel will arise from Arya ruling a holdfast or realm one day?

This is just not true. The GNC is just a theory, and one with very weak textual evidence the way you interpretate it. Only evidence is Manderly going after Rickon, which is in complete contradiction with your "fact" that Jon will get Winterfell and the whole North is working towards it. The GNC theory is just an fanfiction project gotten out of hand.

To the OP: I hope it will be Bran, since I think inheritance laws are important and are to be respected. Should Rickon, Sansa or Arya get it I'll still be happy, as long a certain bastard with a shaky claim, a sacred vow to the NW and zero Tully-blood doesn't get it.

Thank you.

And you think Sansa is managing the finances of the Eyrie for LF?? Really? Where does it show that in the text. Where does it explicitly say that Sansa is running the entire castle by herself? And she is also managing a court? And resolving disputes? I must have missed all that in AFfC. Time for a reread.

Sorry, but I have seen no leadership potential in Sansa. She is still a scared, naive girl who thinks that LF is telling her lies that are kindly meant and for her own good. She gets the authority she has at the castle because LF gives it to her for his own nefarious reasons. Not for any special qualification she has. Maybe for the one qualification that LF is actually interested in. Her beauty and that she looks like Cat.

We can see how she uses this 'authority' she has. The maester refuses to dose SR with extra sweet sleep until Sansa threatens to tell LF. People follow her orders because LF makes it happen. That's not very hard to do: "If you don't do this I will tell daddy!". You think she can do that at WF to make people follow her orders?

Again, I don't see anything in Sansa's narrative about learning to rule. As I mentioned earlier, a narrative about a young character learning to rule is what Dany's arc is all about. One can clearly see the difference between Dany's story and Sansa's.

I love when people pick fights just for the sake of picking fights. Theyve already said that they don't want to get into an argument about Sansa since this thread is about who people personally want to rule winterfell.

Actually their children would get their last names. It is a matter of status. If a small lordling married a higher noblewoman their children would have her last name. And what in the heck is some dude compared to the queen in the North? So what you claim is invalid.

Finally someone points this out. You'd seriously think no one had ever heard of a matrilineal marriage. How the heck has House Martell survived if it wasn't possible for the woman to be the dominant legal partner?

Bran is not a tree. Why do people keep repeating this nonsense?

Not yet, he's not. But it's pretty blatantly stated in his ADwD chapters that that is the fate awaiting him. He is never coming back south.

Bran if he comes back, but somehow I doubt it. Also I am not sure if he can produce heirs once he comes of age. In that case Rickon would be the more likely heir. Though I guess Bran could be lord of winterfell and Rickon could be in a general type role.

Rob left a will legitimizing Jon so how would he be stealing any ones birthright ? Jon is the eldest regardless what everyone's opinion is .jon would be king in the north ,bran would be lord of winterfell.when the Boltons are destroyed I would assume rickon would get the Dreadfort. Jon could build his own seat ,there is a lot of land in the north.i don't believe Jon would harm any of his cousins or half siblings I think kings landing will be destroyed so whoever is king in the end will need a new castle if the kingdoms don't break apart. Sansa if she marries Harry will be lady of the vale,Robert is sickly an LF will probably kill him .arya doesn't want to be a lady now but that may change if she finds love she is awfully young.i could see her being with Gendry who I believe will be legitimized an made lord of storms end.if not I'd like to see her marry trystane I don't think arrianne will survive.

None of the Starks seem to be defective, but when it comes to Winterfell, the heir will have to be someone who possesses that "X factor" of leadership, a particular sort of leadership. the southron realms. A hard land produces hard people and only a hardened soul, a true direwolf can lead them with any hope of success. The children of Winterfell all seem to have a lot of merit as people. The question is, do they have the "true steel" ? Or put another way: would they pass the "Greatjon test" as Robb did ?

Top tier (the first to come to mind):

Arya Stark (grown-up) - This would take some explanation. What strikes me is just how much a she-wolf she already is. She was a courageous and tough-minded child in AGOT, and by the time we reach ADWD, she is a hardened survivor. She has honed herself into a weapon as much as a knight, able to stare into the face of death without flinching. She is also a leader when it comes to others - not simply by being highborn, but because it comes naturally. What we see with her warging ability is symbolic of her natural role - a true alpha wolf, a fierce queen among her soldiers. Now of course, Arya is only just approaching adolescence, so imagine what more training, more wisdom, more maturity and physical development will make her? At the very least, she will lose those childish sorts of impulses that may count as a weakness right now, such as rushing in headlong to save someone with no regard to her own limitations.

That being said, what sort of leader would she be? Tough-minded, fierce, and more than capable of spilling blood when it comes to that. However, it bodes well that she was able to easily make friends with all sorts of folks around Winterfell, and does not put much stock in that noble/smallfolk divide; she seems to judge people on their own merit. Such judgement is important; Arya seems to have absorbed much of what her father taught her, and at least something of her mother's teachings also. What she was taught by Syrio, the Hound, and the Faceless Men would have a place too - however warped the circumstances in it, there's a lesson. Inside, she may be the strongest of all the Starks; she has the.

Eddard thought maybe his daughter Arya lady of a castle in the Sansa style, but she stated this was not for her; she wanted to be out there in the world, active and in a leadership role. Who's to say it cannot be both? She may be the lady of Winterfell, but perhaps ruling it in her own right (with Nymeria at her side of course). Once she comes of age, I can see Arya leading Winterfell to a new dawn of true wolves - like the old kings of winter, but a queen. I do not think it would be without being challenged, and that might lead her to a reputation something like Theon Stark, "the Hungry Wolf" or Edrick Stark. She would pass the Greatjon test with flying colours. She would revel in her warg nature and woe be to any foe who crosses the Starks if she rules Winterfell.

Jon Snow - Jon seems the most ready to actually lead, since he's managed to win a leadership position already. It is not that he wanted power, but he certainly he been willing to do what needs to be done, as a leader should. He's also a formidable warrior. He's got courage and cunning, and plenty of determination. He's honourable and dutiful. Wisdom? Well, not bad for a guy at his young age, but at times he's made the mistake of thinking that others see the "big picture" he does, or share in his internal moral struggles when they don't. Still, he could be a good lord or king; you can see he's at least not motivated by power-hunger or greed, or arrogance (his arrogance did not last long once he got to the Wall). Yes, he had those vague dreams about being lord of Winterfell, but I think that's fairly routine stuff for a guy who's a bastard and just dreaming of recognized as a "real" Stark.

Jon would make a good ruler of the North. I think were he one, he would be conscientious and courageous, and have quite a bit of ambition towards improving the realm he ruled over. He would have a good sense of justice and mercy, and no doubt be a friend to the Watch (if it still exists in this scenario). He would also be a friend to wildlings, and I think this would be a key to keeping the North strong and wild in the future.

Second tier:

Bran: I think Bran shows a lot of good qualities, and of all the Starks, closest with the Old Gods, being both a greenseer and warg. Bran is quite wise and serious for a child of his age, and very smart. However, cruel as this sounds, his physical disability may hinder him in the eyes of others. (The North is a hard place to survive; nature can be cruel.) Another issue is whether his taking on this role as a mystic actually prevents him from being a ruler of anything. In any case, if he was ruler of Winterfell, he would be a good and just ruler. Perhaps not as hard-hearted as the job requires; I cannot imagine him "killing the boy" to let the man be born. I can't see him intimidating someone like Greatjon or Roose Bolton too easily. Oddly, he is the only one with any experience at ruling in Winterfell, since Robb left him in charge before dying. If a Stark is needed, he would be not a bad ruler, but need to do more growing up for certain.

Sansa:

Sansa would be an interesting choice to lead the North. She brings some good qualities, perhaps political savvy, compassion, an enduring spirit, and some cleverness. Still, I wonder if she would have what it takes to rule the north where conflicts are savage, choices are usually hard and cruel, and not everyone can survive even basic life there. "She lost her wolf" - symbolic perhaps of a deep-seated lack of aggression? Does she have the "true steel" ? Can she pass the Greatjon test? I have doubts. A northern woman does not have to be a warrior, but she does have to be tough inside. (Barbrey Ryswell Dustin, for example.) Sansa is getting tougher, but I think she has a ways to go yet, before she is truly the unyielding ice maiden that Tyrion observed. The one thing she could offer the North is a sort of hope - for she is a Stark of Winterfell, and by embodying that role, she may be able to have the North rally around her.

Rickon :

A wild little boy, growing wilder by circumstances. So far I have not seen anything that sets him above any of the others (aside from the political advantage of being male). I do think it interesting that he comes off as fierce, and being raised a bit by Osha will only make him more like a wildling. If he were to rule Winterfell, I think it would either have to be with some strong protector / teacher / surrogate parent, or else it would be years away and probably by default. I imagine him being a brave adult, a warrior, but due to his experiences, somewhat volatile - always having something to prove, or being someone who subconsciously searches for the parent figure he lost.

Still, they are all Starks. Any Stark is better than no Starks.

None of the Starks seem to be defective, but when it comes to Winterfell, the heir will have to be someone who possesses that "X factor" of leadership, a particular sort of leadership. the southron realms. A hard land produces hard people and only a hardened soul, a true direwolf can lead them with any hope of success. The children of Winterfell all seem to have a lot of merit as people. The question is, do they have the "true steel" ? Or put another way: would they pass the "Greatjon test" as Robb did ?

Top tier (the first to come to mind):

Arya Stark (grown-up) - This would take some explanation. What strikes me is just how much a she-wolf she already is. She was a courageous and tough-minded child in AGOT, and by the time we reach ADWD, she is a hardened survivor. She has honed herself into a weapon as much as a knight, able to stare into the face of death without flinching. She is also a leader when it comes to others - not simply by being highborn, but because it comes naturally. What we see with her warging ability is symbolic of her natural role - a true alpha wolf, a fierce queen among her soldiers. Now of course, Arya is only just approaching adolescence, so imagine what more training, more wisdom, more maturity and physical development will make her? At the very least, she will lose those childish sorts of impulses that may count as a weakness right now, such as rushing in headlong to save someone with no regard to her own limitations.

That being said, what sort of leader would she be? Tough-minded, fierce, and more than capable of spilling blood when it comes to that. However, it bodes well that she was able to easily make friends with all sorts of folks around Winterfell, and does not put much stock in that noble/smallfolk divide; she seems to judge people on their own merit. Such judgement is important; Arya seems to have absorbed much of what her father taught her, and at least something of her mother's teachings also. What she was taught by Syrio, the Hound, and the Faceless Men would have a place too - however warped the circumstances in it, there's a lesson. Inside, she may be the strongest of all the Starks; she has the.

Eddard thought maybe his daughter Arya lady of a castle in the Sansa style, but she stated this was not for her; she wanted to be out there in the world, active and in a leadership role. Who's to say it cannot be both? She may be the lady of Winterfell, but perhaps ruling it in her own right (with Nymeria at her side of course). Once she comes of age, I can see Arya leading Winterfell to a new dawn of true wolves - like the old kings of winter, but a queen. I do not think it would be without being challenged, and that might lead her to a reputation something like Theon Stark, "the Hungry Wolf" or Edrick Stark. She would pass the Greatjon test with flying colours. She would revel in her warg nature and woe be to any foe who crosses the Starks if she rules Winterfell.

Jon Snow - Jon seems the most ready to actually lead, since he's managed to win a leadership position already. It is not that he wanted power, but he certainly he been willing to do what needs to be done, as a leader should. He's also a formidable warrior. He's got courage and cunning, and plenty of determination. He's honourable and dutiful. Wisdom? Well, not bad for a guy at his young age, but at times he's made the mistake of thinking that others see the "big picture" he does, or share in his internal moral struggles when they don't. Still, he could be a good lord or king; you can see he's at least not motivated by power-hunger or greed, or arrogance (his arrogance did not last long once he got to the Wall). Yes, he had those vague dreams about being lord of Winterfell, but I think that's fairly routine stuff for a guy who's a bastard and just dreaming of recognized as a "real" Stark.

Jon would make a good ruler of the North. I think were he one, he would be conscientious and courageous, and have quite a bit of ambition towards improving the realm he ruled over. He would have a good sense of justice and mercy, and no doubt be a friend to the Watch (if it still exists in this scenario). He would also be a friend to wildlings, and I think this would be a key to keeping the North strong and wild in the future.

Second tier:

Bran: I think Bran shows a lot of good qualities, and of all the Starks, closest with the Old Gods, being both a greenseer and warg. Bran is quite wise and serious for a child of his age, and very smart. However, cruel as this sounds, his physical disability may hinder him in the eyes of others. (The North is a hard place to survive; nature can be cruel.) Another issue is whether his taking on this role as a mystic actually prevents him from being a ruler of anything. In any case, if he was ruler of Winterfell, he would be a good and just ruler. Perhaps not as hard-hearted as the job requires; I cannot imagine him "killing the boy" to let the man be born. I can't see him intimidating someone like Greatjon or Roose Bolton too easily. Oddly, he is the only one with any experience at ruling in Winterfell, since Robb left him in charge before dying. If a Stark is needed, he would be not a bad ruler, but need to do more growing up for certain.

Sansa:

Sansa would be an interesting choice to lead the North. She brings some good qualities, perhaps political savvy, compassion, an enduring spirit, and some cleverness. Still, I wonder if she would have what it takes to rule the north where conflicts are savage, choices are usually hard and cruel, and not everyone can survive even basic life there. "She lost her wolf" - symbolic perhaps of a deep-seated lack of aggression? Does she have the "true steel" ? Can she pass the Greatjon test? I have doubts. A northern woman does not have to be a warrior, but she does have to be tough inside. (Barbrey Ryswell Dustin, for example.) Sansa is getting tougher, but I think she has a ways to go yet, before she is truly the unyielding ice maiden that Tyrion observed. The one thing she could offer the North is a sort of hope - for she is a Stark of Winterfell, and by embodying that role, she may be able to have the North rally around her.

Rickon :

A wild little boy, growing wilder by circumstances. So far I have not seen anything that sets him above any of the others (aside from the political advantage of being male). I do think it interesting that he comes off as fierce, and being raised a bit by Osha will only make him more like a wildling. If he were to rule Winterfell, I think it would either have to be with some strong protector / teacher / surrogate parent, or else it would be years away and probably by default. I imagine him being a brave adult, a warrior, but due to his experiences, somewhat volatile - always having something to prove, or being someone who subconsciously searches for the parent figure he lost.

Still, they are all Starks. Any Stark is better than no Starks.

:agree: with just about all of this. I tend to think Arya is a natural leader, as opposed to most people on here.

First topic: Robb's will. Robb made the will with the knowledge that Bran and Rickon were dead, that Sansa was to be married off to a Lannister... but also as a bit of a failsafe for a war-time king, should he himself fall. Of the remaining Starks, Jon was the sole capable warrior and commander. There's a very good reason to think that the Stark bannermen would be much more likely to follow 'Jon Stark' in a continued war, than any of the other four. It doesn't hurt that Jon actually looks like a Stark, whereas all his 'siblings' look like Tullys save Arya.

That said, I think Jon would never be able to 'disinherit' his siblings. It just isn't in his nature.

In terms of who'd be the most capable ruler of Winterfell:

1) Jon. Already has leadership experience, is a proven warrior and battle commander. Likely the smartest of all the Stark children (particularly book Jon, although TV Jon seems dumb at times).

2) Bran. Has the most 'Lord' training after Jon. Has shown he can handle some of the duties. Greenseer abilities could give him significant advantages, and/or increase his wisdom/perception beyond his years. Difficult sell as a war-time leader though.

3) Sansa. Kind of wins by default here, but at least she's retained her sanity, and is theoretically learning from LF. At the very least, she's learned about life.

4) Arya. She's a little beyond the pale right now as a bit of a sociopath at the moment. An interesting character, but not someone to rule a land.

5) Rickon. Wild, out of control, etc. If and when he grows up, his upside is basically his uncle Brandon. Basically, he's your worst case ruler. I have no idea why people would actually want this little nutcase to get the North.

Archived